Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Spring is sprung - butterflies are out

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

The spring is sprung in Cheltenham

First butterflies of the year in Sandford Park - Tortoiseshell and male Brimstone - in Sandford Park today

Locally there is a recognition that you cant say winter is passed until Race Week is over - and that's next week - but the weather pattern does look established for a while.

Might even get some decent trout fishing this year if we have a decent spring....

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

A pair of long tail tits are nesting somewhere in our garden and keep attacking their "rivals" in our windows. I'm hoping this year is as good as last for butterflies.

DSC_1605-2600x464_zps411dc6c4.jpg

Taken on Old Winchester Hill, Hampshire last September. Great place for flutterbys.

Chaz

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just got in from a 5 mile walk in the deepest South Hams.

Loads of butterflies, many peacocks, small tortoiseshells and a lone red admiral.

Unusual for this time of year.

On the bird front the yellowhammers have arrived (saw at least three pairs) and many skylarks were up. Lambs also in the field behind the cottage. Thank goodness spring is at last here.

Neil

• Like 1

Guest Belgian

Sping spung here ages ago - the daffs have been around for at least a month. The Southern got its adverts wrong - they should have said 'I'm taking an early holiday 'cos I know Sping comes soonest in the South!' (or is it Spring?).

JE

Just got in from a 5 mile walk in the deepest South Hams.

Loads of butterflies, many peacocks, small tortoiseshells and a lone red admiral.

Unusual for this time of year.

On the bird front the yellowhammers have arrived (saw at least three pairs) and many skylarks were up. Lambs also in the field behind the cottage. Thank goodness spring is at last here.

Neil

The lone Red Admiral is very interesting because it bears out the idea that they are able to survive a mild UK winter in hibernation. I doubt it would have migrated that distance by early March.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

some photos from this mornings amble in the South Hams

post-6925-0-17420300-1394374332_thumb.jpg

Primroses are out everywhere in the hedgerows

post-6925-0-96989600-1394374388_thumb.jpg

We saw at least four different peacocks, plus tortoiseshells and a single red admiral

post-6925-0-24420800-1394374449_thumb.jpg

The heather and other plants are crawling with bumble bees and honey bees from the local hives.

Taken in the back garden 20 minutes ago

post-6925-0-66720900-1394374536_thumb.jpg

The twin oaks, about 200 yards away from our cottage, a good marker of the seasons- buds showing

Neil

• Like 6

Same here in Denmark, a country not exactly noted for warm weather. After the fifth mildest winter since records began in 1874, I'm sitting here under blazing sunshine with the heating off and the outside temperature well into the mid-teens. When you consider that last winter, we were still getting quite heavy snow into April, this is quite something. The wife has just returned from the colony garden (Danish tradition - think allotment but on a grander scale and for leisure only, with a small wooden house thrown in) and tells me things are budding like crazy. Looks like some of my modelling time will be "reassigned" over the next few months.

Edit to add: No butterflies yet but this garden is festooned with bushes intended to attract them. First sign, I'll post some pics of them and the garden.

Edited by Guest

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic sightings folks - it all gladdens the heart

On the red admiral front I did see one on the wing on a ridiculously warm January day in Gloucester a few years ago

Phil

I was down in the New Forest this morning. A couple of pairs of curlew were prospecting for nest sites, song thrush, chaffinches and great tits were singing/calling and a great spotted woody was drumming. Stonechats are back on the heath. So they all think it's spring. Best sighting of the morning was a hawfinch in the tree tops. No snaps - my Nikon is still at the menders - GRRR.

Chaz

• RMweb Gold

Two peacock butterflies in the garden, frogspawn in the pond, sparrows prospecting nest sites, but still a number of snow buntings down at the harbour yesterday.

Pennington Marshes (nr Lymington Hampshire) yesterday. A couple of red admirals flitting about. However not a single spring migrant bird - was hoping for a wheatear or two, especially as it was quite warm but no-show.

However star of our trip was a long-billed dowitcher, which I was told has been in and around Fishtail Lagoon for quite a while.

Chaz

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Surveying the garden from within the house this morning saw some flutterby activity

Judging by the territorial perching behaviour suspected a comma

And so it proved

post-7138-0-25581500-1396096924_thumb.jpg

He decided the one collapsed daffodil was the ideal perch! Welsh leanings perhaps?

Phil

• Like 2