Simon Kohler to leave Hornby

Brian Indge

Well, they do say that there are lies, damn lies and statistics.....

I agree with Ozexpatriate, though, that the data has some bearing on what's happened.

Hornby is no longer purely about model railways. It's now a more generic hobby company that so happens to have a model rail component, so Simon's decision to leave at this time probably reflects that. It's no longer the company that he joined, it's now something else entirely.

We won't know the real reason for sure - and probably never will. :dontknow:

Either way, hope he does well in his new endeavours.

Mike.

I suspect that data has a direct correlation with Mr. Kohler's present situation.

One thing to have a bearing, quite another to make incorrect assertions.

I too wish, and have wished, success. And hope that the skill is not being lost to the hobby.

• RMweb Premium

I agree Mark, it would be good if SK does stay involved with our hobby, he is an asset that we (the hobby) can ill afford to do without.

I wish , or in retrospect, no I don't!

Dave... can you cast your mind back to the early days of Dapol and how Mr Boyle took over the old Airfix range along with some of the Mainline models (I seem to think that there were some items in the early range) and didn't Hornby get some of those items back latter on ( J94 GWR auto tank) Have you been thinking the same as myself about possible case of history repeating itself ..............

Simon will certainly be a hard act to follow as the public face of Hornby.  Every time I visited Warley, I always enjoyed my chats with Simon.  Over the last few years late on the Sunday afternoon as the show was closing, I went to the Hornby stand & said to Simon, “Duke of Gloucester next year?”.  All he would give me was a wry smile! 

Below is the e-mail correspondence I had with him in December 2012.  He was always willing to help & had a good sense of humour.  Good luck in whatever you plan to do next whether it is another job or early retirement.

Simon,

Having read your 2013 programme last night, I could not resist adding the following light hearted comment on the RMWeb website:

Well done Hornby; a P2 and what I have wanted for many years to complete my WCML loco stud, Duke of Gloucester.  Simon Kohler, you should be a world class poker player!  At major exhibitions over the last 2 years I have spoken to you and asked about a DoG saying the Britannia chassis is OK (apart from the Caprotti valve gear) but would require a new loco body moulding.   The Britannia tender chassis is OK and would only need a new body.  And all you did was give a knowing smile.  

Only 3 weeks ago at the NEC when I jokingly said, "Duke of Gloucester next year?" you just smiled as if to say "You must be joking".  Thankyou Hornby for taking this gamble with two locos at the top of 'Modeller's Wish Lists'.  Simon, if I decide to take up poker as a hobby will you be my partner?

Thanks for the new models; keep up the good work.

Peter

Dear Peter,

I remember you!  Was it not towards the end of Sunday and was it not your passing comment?

Many thanks for sending me the posting, it made me smile.

Have a great Christmas and a marvellous New Year.

Sincerely

Simon

Simon,

Yes it was late on Sunday afternoon.  Merry Christmas.  Thought it would make you smile instead of people asking "Why don't you make xxxx?'

Peter

Brilliant! Thank you Peter.  Now what model are you going to ask me when we next meet!!

Kindest regards

Simon

I would like to echo the sentiments of most of the members on this topic and wish Simon well both personally and professionally. In correspondence and face to face, Simon has always been the consummate professional who treated everyone equally and with respect.

On the few occasions that I had a problem with one of the company’s products that I couldn’t correct, Simon’s assistance was swift and effective. His loss to the hobby would be immense but I believe a gentleman of Simon’s knowledge and reputation will not go to waste, the industry and hobby cannot afford to lose him.

Hi gismorail ,

Lol how old do you think I am? ;-)

Sorry mate but no idea.

I'm sure some on here might be able to help. Sorry :-(

Cheers

Dave

sorry didn't mean it that sort of way , yes it's a long time ago when the company was based in Northwich (Queen St) Just with you having worked at the company thought you might have been in the know as to how the company started all those years ago .

I am just looking forward to the future and if Hornby were to become just a 'toy & train set ' company what will happen to all the moulds and technical production for the more detailed items such as the Gresley Suburbs etc Or is it cheaper to just start again in the modern day. ?????

One thing I forgot to say that came out under Simon Kohler's tenure, and one I believe he himself looks back fondly on…the sheer brilliance of the live steam range, I myself owning a live steam Mallard. It doesn't get out of the box much, but when it does it is an event and a half. Love the throttle control and the smell of the oil and steam. Truly, a product completely out of place with the rest of the range, but I don't care. It was fun.

• RMweb Premium

Must agree with S A C Martin. Simon Kohler always talked enthusiastically about live steam. My occasional outings with my loco are always a joy, although never a commercial success it was a product of Simons drive and enthusiasm along with so many more traditional models. I remember being in awe of the new Merchant Navy when it was introduced in what was a groundbreaking change for Hornby.

• RMweb Premium

This can't be.  The accounts linked earlier have 249 employees in total.  2 PLC, 166 UK, 9 Hong Kong, 12 USA, 26 Spain,14 Italy, 13 France & 7 Germany.  Where has the 193 number come from?

I don't have any particular knowledge of anything happening at Hornby but the number of people "going" smacks of a situation I was involved with once where pretty much everybody was made redundant and had to re-apply for their old jobs back on reduced salaries and worse conditions, all packaged up in "revised job descriptions".

Could that be the case here?

I, like many others, think that Hornby without Simon Kohler will be a poorer place. There are not many organsations that have a bloke willing to go out and meet and discuss things with their customers and to field queries and questions in the way that he did.

I always felt that he was a valuable link between the customers and the business and that I can imaging that such a link will not now exist. Which is a great shame.

I wish him all the best in his new ventures and I hope that he is able to earn his crust from our hobby for many years to come.

Tony

Well the end of an era, Simon  has had a very difficult role over the past few years juggling the wishes of a PLC and those of Joe Public, I do wish him the upmost success in the future, and as many have said he will be a hard act to follow.

And on a lighter note I'm sure his departure will set-off the consprisary therorists to match those of flight MH370.

I just saw this post today... very disappointing new to say the least!

I've had the pleasure of dealing with Simon the last couple months over email, and he's always been cheerful and very helpful. It is a sad day indeed.

I can't see the point in speculating on the structure of Hornby's organisation. It will bewhat they feel they need/can afford.

Whether Hornby produce what the collector/modeller wants will depend on a number of factors which are not under the control of the customer despite what some people think. In the end, people will vote with their wallet and no amount of speculation will change that.

Do we know the structure and personnel of Hornby's reorganised Marketing Department?

Not yet.

It seems Paul Chandler, Senior Marketing Manager, may have recently left too.

His LinkedIn entry now shows him having left in February and now working for Fluid World (an independent brand licensing agency) from March 2014.

Previously he spent 9 years (from 2003) as SK's equivalent covering Scalextric, before moving up to be Hornby Senior Marketing Manager for almost 2 years.

• RMweb Premium

The new leader is Richard Ames, ex Ladbrokes, and Curries, seems he fell on the sword over the IT problems of Ladbrokes, online gambling apps etc over running and late to market.

Oh dear.

Archived