Simon Kohler to leave Hornby

Brian Indge

post-17621-0-17380700-1395076822_thumb.jpg

I would like to thank Simon Kohler for his input into the excellent models Hornby has produced and I hope that his departure does not signal the end of high quality models. When he gave a talk for the Wimborne Railway Society I suggested that Hornby produced some fourth radius track and a rebuilt Bulleid light Pacific. I don't know if the resulting models were a coincidence or were made at my suggestion. Anyway I wish him all the best for the future.

Well I think for Hornby, Simon will be a hard act to follow. His dedication and loyalty over the last 35 years is appreciated by us all and I hope he may continue to enjoy whatever his future brings forth. I for one have found his manner impecable when dealing with the public and an asset like that in this day and age is getting harder to come across.

After 35 years with working for any company continuously change is always an upheaval, especially as you get older. I have suffered in similar fashion but needs must when you have a mortgage and family to feed. Simon still has many friends and colleagues in the industry and I'm sure he will remembered as the face of Hornby for many years to come. Maybe he wont have to bite his lip anymore!

I wish Simon well and,as always, happy to help with anything I can. 

Most of all thanks for the green Brush Type 2's !!

When you think of the models that have been turned out under Simon Kohler's tenure, you effectively define a few people's childhoods and modelling habits quite markedly.

The expansion of the super detail range and the development of locomotives that you would never expect to see RTR…the Thompson L1 and O1 for instance. The gorgeous coaches, whether Maunsell, Hawksworth, Gresley or Thompson. The astonishing sight of an RTR Clan and the magnificence of the most recent incarnation of the Gresley B17…and that's before we recall the T9, the King Arthur, the Royal Scot/Patriots and a whole host of others.

Truly, Hornby will be poorer without Simon Kohler and the hobby itself too one suspects.

Many thanks to Mr Kohler for his candour, emails, public appearances and general contributions to the hobby by way of working for Hornby. 

• RMweb Premium

Why is it that some people disagree with a comment but make no effort to state why they disagree or offer an alternative?I generally have no problems with people disagreeing with my posts, but I was quoting from SK and someone disagreed with my ' We shall see' I sometimes despair.

I say We shall see because as already stated SK was integral to Hornby's railway success, in the absence of his drive and enthusiasm it is difficult to see how Hornby railway who are by Simons admission struggling are going to convince an increasingly sceptical public to buy their products. Hornby are a big company, once the loss of its railway arm would have been a disaster, however there are many manufacturers snapping at their heels, just look at Hornby's rating in the recent poll. If Hornby railways went under it would open up the market for the likes of a Heljan, Dapol, DJM etc. to expand a fill the hole left by them. Sad it would be. But a disaster?

The delightful Emma Brett left Hornby immediately after last year's Warley Show and she also used to enjoy going to work at Hornby. She was of course Simon's P.A., helping him and organising at many of the shows, and she said that things were no longer like they used to be.

I hope they both find satisfaction and happiness in whatever the future holds.

I would like to thank Simon for his helpfulness over the years, his personal service is respected and recognised and will be missed. I wish him well, and I wish Hornby well too, these are challenging times but they have overcome them in the past too.

Interesting to where the new Captain ends up with the Hornby ship with so many of the crew going overboard!

I do not think the odds are that good for happy cruise to the future.

In the end I think Bachmann will buy Hornby at a knock down price, use the name their train set range  and re-tool some of the existing Hornby models!

XF

I saw this when it was first posted in the small hours.., MR K seems to have been  Mr Hornby for soooo long its hard to believe he wont be anymore.....

Though isnt "Being a Consultant" normally where the Firm find out they really can't do without you and end up paying you more to do your old job? ;)

I wish , or in retrospect, no I don't!

After 35 years with the company Mr Kohler must have seen, and has helped bring about, huge changes in the company and has become something of a national treasure as far as the hobby is concerned. I wish him well in his future and sure his experience will be of great value to whoever calls on it.

I am though slightly surprised no-one has picked up on this part of his statement.

.....with the intention of the Hornby Marketing operation becoming more efficient and proactive.

It may well be that we will see a more Airfix like approach which will be interesting.

Stu

• RMweb Premium

.....with the intention of the Hornby Marketing operation becoming more efficient and proactive

Could be construed as getting rid of those parts of the business that are not making a profit, or cutting your cloth accordingly (cheap design clever stuff is equivalent to Airfix easi-build) To be honest reads like business talk for we haven't got a clue so let's try this.

Let's face it Simon Kohler was as proactive as it gets, unless they are going into home delivery.

• RMweb Premium

Or maybe it's centered around a more DJM approach to the internet, and dare I say it even Bachmanns interactions, through Andy , with RMweb. Hornby haven't exactly been proactive in communication, although I accept their plc status restricts some information, but not all.

I wish Simon all the best in his new career. 35 years is a long time in a job, hopefully his adjustment will be painless yet fulfilling too.

For me he's been one of the hardest working guys in the hobby and I wish him well from this point forward.

I know that its rarely said of people in the hobby, but Simon is one of those you can call a 'career model railwayman/' He always is known for enthusiastically trying his best, being dilligent and supportive to Hornby, the wider hobby and of its enthusiasts. I have had the chance to speak to him twice, thought him aproachable and understanding, even when faced with my desire to see Hornby make other things - a charge I think he will have had often.

The hobby will be much the poorer for his departure - but personally I wish him well for his future. :drink_mini:

I wrote SK an email last year with some observations I'd made about certain modern image stock. His reply was courteous and informative without being condescending. Whilst this is the only personal contact I have had with him, the multitude of positive comments I have heard about him makes me believe that he was a thoroughly nice bloke and it will be a loss to the hobby to see him leave. 

If this decision was not forced upon Hornby then they may well have just dug their own grave I fear. 

Interesting to where the new Captain ends up with the Hornby ship with so many of the crew going overboard!  walking the plank!

I do not think the odds are that good for happy cruise to the future.

In the end I think Bachmann will buy Hornby at a knock down price, use the name their train set range  and re-tool some of the existing Hornby models!

XF

I hope not! I would like Hornby to stay as Hornby....

Best wishes for the future Simon. The new powers-in-charge at Hornby may not have appreciated what a valuable asset they have, but there's a lot of people out here who do. I hope you will be with us for many years to come in your new venture!

Regards

Bill

it's now the Airfix brand that's helping to keep Hornby afloat?

What about Scalextric? Does anyone know how that brand is doing?

I invested in a large Scalextric digital system a few years back, but admittedly haven't bought many new cars over the last couple of years. Reasons? Choice of models is one reason...the other reason is I've been spending more money on model railway products (and of late more of the red boxes than the blue, it has to be said)

Glass half full day:

Someone with the knowledge, energy, communication skills, reputation and contacts that Simon has, no longer constrained by an employment contract with Hornby after his consultancy year has ended, might be just what this hobby needs to help it step into the future ....?

What can you say!   All the above is true, the new men from Asda are having a clear out. I hope they are there for the long haul, and not as I suspect, to do a quick fix then vanish with a payoff. Time will tell on that one.

Anyhow back to good old Simon, the guy if you cut in half would say Hornby all the way through!!!  Bachmann could do with a popular  'Face' to represent them, as Dave an DJM says, Simon is a nice guy, don't think he cocked up the Olympics sales!, or caused the Chinese delivery problems! But hatchet men need YES men, not people who have been there for 35 Years, very knowledgeable about the market and well liked and respected.

I personally cannot see him buying a tropical island and settling down with Emma (even though he might like to!)   I look forward to seeing you in your new role.

All the best:  Charlie Petty  (PPS You still owe me a drink).

A business philisophy is that in order to grow, you need to prune back first. I am not suprised really that they are pruning back 193 staff when they only have turnover figures of about £55 million.

However in order to be really successful, you need people in key places who are both passionate and know the market yet capable of stepping back from that and seeing the bigger picture.

Rarely people have both of these qualities.

35 years puts Simon close to retirement age, it should be a negotiated departure. Maybe the new CEO did not wish to keep him, maybe SK did not want to work for him, may be both... Maybe his post will be merged with another, maybe some young cheap upstart will replace him, we can speculate forever.

If I brought the firm tomorrow, they have saved me the dirty work of trimming the organisation down to match the current times although I agree SK is too valued and the only public face they have.

All the best for the future Simon Kohler.

• RMweb Premium

Nice words Charlie, my settlements too.

Some years ago I also after 32 years of service with Thorn EMI (not as senior as Simon) was also given the chop being surplus to requirements, as my role did not fit in with the new management strategy.

It turned out to be the push I needed to move on in a new direction.

I have had the pleasure to meet Simon on a number of occasions and he was a true professional ambassador to Hornby and they will miss him in the future.

But I am convinced that Simon will look back in the future having made himself a new successful career.

Good luck Simon.

Eltel

Archived