Metropolitan Bo-Bo EP sample

Multiple identity account

Why on earth don't legal details have any place on this forum? What rubbish. Recent there was a thread about a lack of EWS models being released. It turned out that this was due to DBS not licensing manufacturers to produce stuff. If we didn't talk about it here then the OP (and me) would not have known.

Now if Heljan don't want to say, that's fair enough, but to basically say that people shouldn't even ask is completely out of order

• RMweb Gold

. And that might be of considerable relevance to someone who happens to want or fancy the loco in a particular livery. Simple question to which there is, presumably, a simple answer?

I think Mike was only getting at which liveries they will produce depend on the license they can get ;) He doesn't appear to ask for details of anything legal as far as I can see. Some companies license liveries individually making it less likely to see all the options as they will only pay for the best potential sellers, these would be the ones widely known in preservation. If the license covers all the liveries in one fee or agreement then the LT modellers might see some of the less widely known ones outside those that research it for models.

Obviously the best license as far as we are concerned would be one where they just ask to approve the final artwork to ensure it is accurate and maybe have a few presentation models in return. ;)

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

...I can use my modellers license as I have no use for one, yet I'm definitely having one!

Same here. The type of interesting model that forces a historical rewrite.

... as part of the agreement with the GNR, the Metropolitan used the widened lines access at Kings Cross to promote its own surface branch running on a North by North-West alignment via Kentish Town, Hendon, Radlett, St Albans and Luton. Here it made an end on junction with a minor midland concern for slow - very slow - connecting services to the centre of England.

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Same here. The type of interesting model that forces a historical rewrite.

... as part of the agreement with the GNR, the Metropolitan used the widened lines access at Kings Cross to promote its own surface branch running on a North by North-West alignment via Kentish Town, Hendon, Radlett, St Albans and Luton. Here it made an end on junction with a minor midland concern for slow - very slow - connecting services to the centre of England.

Funnily enough I use the same agreement between the Met and the GNR to bring N2's, quad-arts and other stock from Moorgate to the Chilterns :)

• Like 2

Sarah Siddons did a number of railtours on the SR.  Can't find any photos though.

Try looking for "The Mary Rose" tour. I think it was out from London to Portsmouth via Woking and Havant, then back via Coastway and up the Arun Valley. Or it may be I've erroneously joined two tours - it was a while back!

• RMweb Gold

Sarah Siddons did a number of railtours on the SR.  Can't find any photos though.

Here are a few shots of L12 with an NSE VEP.

http://www.networksoutheast.net/other-photos.html

Sarah Siddons was used on at least a couple of occasions;

10th December 1989:   Staines - Windsor & Eton Riverside in connection with a NSE Gala Day.

21st September 1985:  London Victoria - Folkestone West.   Dover Western Docks - Clapham Junction via London Bridge.  A couple of photos from that rail tour here;

http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/80s/850921lt.htm

Sarah Siddons was used on at least a couple of occasions;

10th December 1989:   Staines - Windsor & Eton Riverside in connection with a NSE Gala Day.

21st September 1985:  London Victoria - Folkestone West.   Dover Western Docks - Clapham Junction via London Bridge.  A couple of photos from that rail tour here;

http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/80s/850921lt.htm

I have photos of it on Staines Moor with 'The Magna Carta' headboard. Magic!

Edited by dibber25

I really want one. Did they ever run in the US? :jester:

Funny you should say that .I thought that if you installed 2 pantographs or trolley poles and whipped off the buffers it would make a splendid freelance US electric .

Also stretching the locations and time scale to the Epping Ongar  line or even the Fairlop loop .I think i will have to get one of these .....just because.

Edited by alfsboy

The simple answer would be that as a respected manufacturer I expect Heljan will have this covered.

I would like to point the honourable gentleman toward the 57/3's issued by Heljan in Virgin livery for a precedent for them NOT having things like this covered in one case in the past. Hence it's a valid question. There is a reasonable expectation that they have addressed it.

• RMweb Premium

I'll have to think of an excuse to have one on my layout. While I'm about it how about a model of one of the 1932 BTH Bo-Bo diesels that used to work in Fords Dagenham factory? please pretty please? :mail:

Um. Before we do South Manchurian Railways Purple (well, after the Deltic...), would I be right in thinking that this is a lettering issue rather than a livery one in terms of trademarks? I'd really like to see this model appear, but can see money to TfL (more specifically perhaps, LTM) would be a good idea.

• RMweb Premium

I think LTM as the owner of the locomotive will receive licence fees. TfL might still hold the rights to the 'London Transport' and 'Metropolitan' titles. I've no doubt that they will be available from the LTM shop so I imagine they would have got the licencing sorted.

I think LTM as the owner of the locomotive will receive licence fees. TfL might still hold the rights to the 'London Transport' and 'Metropolitan' titles. I've no doubt that they will be available from the LTM shop so I imagine they would have got the licencing sorted.

It might just be that Heljan are delaying the details of name and liveries for the "general release" models until the LTM have announced a batch of "exclusives" themselves. This would be a similar strategy to that adopted in the past by Bachmann and the NRM. 

If, for example, Heljan were to announce for general release anything except Sarah Siddons or John Hamden it would probably cause even more fuss. I've no doubt all the necessary permissions are in place but suspect that some other marketing factor might be at play. There would be no harm in that.

I'm only guessing of course but I'm not panicking.

RP 

Not sure you have to pay anything for the actual loco modelling rights .its well over 50 years old and  if were the case it would mean getting a licence fee from every  Morris Minor  owner in the country just to give an example . Logos  are a different matter but only if they are copyrighted .Of course full co-operation from LT is a given for the right price .

Not sure you have to pay anything for the actual loco modelling rights .its well over 50 years old and  if were the case it would mean getting a licence fee from every  Morris Minor  owner in the country just to give an example . Logos  are a different matter but only if they are copyrighted .Of course full co-operation from LT is a given for the right price .

You're confusing copyrighting with trademarking. Copyright is automatic within all creative works, and trademarks need to be registered and are therefore much more easily defended in the case of infringement.

In this instance, it's likely that the product identity (combination of livery and logos applied to the loco) will be covered and TfL and its predecessors have always been quite savvy (and quite reasonable)in this regard.