I'm with you on that, Andy.

Anyway after a nice cup of tea, I got back on the decalling horse and started again with this ######

post-238-0-13999700-1413737634_thumb.jpg

Reason for tantrum was that I'd already finished it once...

post-238-0-19806700-1413737687_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, when I came to apply the microsol the numbers came adrift and then the patch too.  My own fault, should have left it overnight.

I made some progress with a pair of these - started life as a pair of Atlas undecs that have been unsold in Allied Model Trains since my previous visit in February.  So this time they came home with me. They are ready for soot and dust next.  I know, they're TankTrain car numbers, but meh.  Once they're weathered...

post-238-0-76414200-1413737863_thumb.jpg

I also made some progress with some buildings formerly resident on Jordan's ISL and now relocated to sunny Somewhere, CA...

post-238-0-47789400-1413737970_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-97797800-1413738008_thumb.jpg

I also put a primer on this one I built myself

post-238-0-55983500-1413738059_thumb.jpg

I didn't make any progress on the cement plant, nor on revising the tracks.  I'm thinking of reducing the amount of trackage a little and rethinking the yard area to include another couple of industries and a single staging track.  Nothing concrete yet.  

So overall, a frustrating day.  Perhaps working all day yesterday killed my mood, but somehow I just couldn't get into the zone today.  

I knew I was in trouble when I started thinking about Heljan class 26s and mk1s in blue and grey...

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
Dr Gerbil-Fritters, on 19 Oct 2014 - 18:05, said:

So overall, a frustrating day.  Perhaps working all day yesterday killed my mood, but somehow I just couldn't get into the zone today.  

Try not to let it bother you to much, I have weeks and weeks like that!

Infact, after having a total model railroad no can do attitude all summer and most of last winter, ive only just managed to make some progress and actually 'want' to be there in the last couple of days!

Happens to us all at some stage I think.

• Like 1

Right then, suitably fortified by a decent curry I went out and did battle once more.  As befits a Troublesome Engine, it got a renumbering and a first pass of weathering.  Certainly looks better than the fluorescent GP50 3200

post-238-0-48967900-1413751270_thumb.jpg

I also did a first pass on one of the tank cars, aiming for a warm brown hued weathered black which seems very prevalent on tankers I;ve seen on my travels.  Not quite there yet, but better than it was earlier (seen below)

post-238-0-88450800-1413751396_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-88325600-1413751418_thumb.jpg

I even managed to figure out what was going wrong with the cement plant, and got the first part of that put together.

Amazing what curry and a cup of tea can do, isn't it?

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 4

I also made some progress with some buildings formerly resident on Jordan's ISL and now relocated to sunny Somewhere, CA...

Hopefully they'll like the SoCal sunshine!! Those Minnesota attic winters can be perishing!! ;) glad they've relocated to a good home :)

Progress is progress Doc, no matter what form it takes. Even if it's just something as simple as sitting in front of your computer and knocking together some signs for your industries, it's one less job off the list. :)

Just don't force yourself to do work on the layout, or you'll just end up resenting it. A nice relaxing evening with a cup of tea in front of the TV (or whatever else you are partial to) will do wonders toward restoring your modelling vibes.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder, after all. ;)

• Like 1

Here's my 'Performance Review' of my weekend.  Something normally associated with work, but what the hell. (And just for fun, I'm definitely not advocating this as normal practice)

Project Plan, and completions against target

• Paint and decal a pair of GATX tank cars  - complete, plus achieved stretch goal (weathered one car)
  • Patch and renumber a pair of ATSF GP38s - complete, plus achieved one stretch goal (weathered one GP38) and one additional unscheduled task (patched and renumbered GP50)
  • Paint a bunch of industrial buildings - partially complete.  One building primer only.
  • assemble one or both Cement Plant buildings - barely started
  • re-jig the tracks in various places - not completely happy with a couple of locations - not started

time on task:  around 7 hours total

resources: several pints of tea and coffee.  One curry. One bar of chocolate.

start time: 09.00

completion time: 22.00

elapsed time: 13 hours

wasted time: 6 hours

46.15% ineffective ToT

rating C+

Since I didn't start the weekend with a MoSCoW plan in place, and only had one day not two, it's amazing I got as much done as I did.

• Like 1

I didn't do any modelling at all this weekend :( ..... but I was exhibiting my layout all day Saturday so that compensated somewhat!! ;)

I do make a fair few lists of 'to do' jobs for my modelling. I find it helps to focus on important stuff, & although as a rule I don't set deadlines (except for Shows, & I only do a few one-dayers) I do put the date the list was made, then after a few months I can gauge how much progress is being made - if any!!!

• Like 1

I'm finding having a list useful if I have a big block of free time.  These are rare, and I get really annoyed if I waste them!  Otherwise it's all free form and jazz in the shed with multiple projects started and dropped in a whimsical manner.

The weekend just gone wasn't a great success in how much I achieved for the amount of time I had.  I really should have prioritised my work - the intention was to locate the buildings then re do the tracks to fit and re-jig the yard.  None of which got done as I under estimated how long the decalling would take.

Not sure when I'll get such a block of time again, probably not until February as work ramps up and Christmas is usually completed blocked out for family stuff.

But the decal work is a massive milestone in itself - that's a BIG job that I've been putting off on a few of my locos for a long time.

Rejigging trackwork isn't a huge job, even if it seems it. If you get even so much as an hour of free time, get in the layout room and start lifting track - even if all you do is remove half a dozen track pins or lift only 6 inches of track, that makes the job smaller the next time you do it.

That's how I get stuff done. It's the only way I get stuff done. :)

• Like 1

Dear Dr,

Just remember, a bad day playing-trains still beats a brilliant day at the office!

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

I couldn't click "AGREE" fast enough!

Case in point Doc - Last night I wanted to do some more benchwork for my layout room. Got as far as cutting the wood, and drilling holes for and putting in about half a dozen screws before the battery ran out on my drill/screwdriver.

Typical.

So I decided to strip down and prime some locos ready for painting. I have three to do, managed to get one partially done before it got too windy to use the spray primer.

Mind was willing, fate was not!

I'll try again tonight. ;)

• RMweb Gold

I couldn't click "AGREE" fast enough!

Case in point Doc - Last night I wanted to do some more benchwork for my layout room. Got as far as cutting the wood, and drilling holes for and putting in about half a dozen screws before the battery ran out on my drill/screwdriver.

Typical.

So I decided to strip down and prime some locos ready for painting. I have three to do, managed to get one partially done before it got too windy to use the spray primer.

Mind was willing, fate was not!

I'll try again tonight. ;)

I have three battery powered drills - often they all go flat at the same time!!