I agree there!

I couldn't work out what I wanted to build (still can't), so I built Cane River. It's helped immensely with getting my Mojo going. :)

I'd recommend going on Carl Arendt's site and looking at micros until you like the look of one, then just build it - just to get your mojo into gear. :D

• RMweb Gold

Its a tricky situation planning layouts. I do love the little track plenty of space type layouts but when operating them for long hours at shows many times, then it can become tiresome. Ok slightly different to a fixed shed layout but trying to get the balance right isn't easy.

At least with a roundy layout you can sit back and watch if you dont fancing switching.

• Like 1

That's why I tend to  think in terms of modelling one (or more) sections of an actual prototype. As much as is practical obviously.

Not only does that solve the track plan, it creates other limits that means you can focus right away on modelling, rather than spending days, months, years, choosing from a list of endless possibilities .

The problem is somewhat worse for US modellers, in that there were so many independent RR companies in the first place. So the idea of a freelance Duckville and Pacific RR, doesn't seem so out of place, at least until you start to want to have it do some of everything. . . . .

Andy

• Like 1

I had a lot of fun with a temporary 6 X 4 roundy that I set up in the front room about this time last year.

All Peco Setrack so no pretensions of accuracy but I could run trains, hold them in sidings (loops) whilst running a different consist and with ample spurs there was the opportunity to switch when the mood took me.

With switchers, road switchers and 50` or less cars it worked well for me and powering up the Bachmann sound equipped Alco S4 was positively addictive yet strangely relaxing after a day at work.

I should get my backside in gear and build the permanent enlarged 8 X 5 ish version of the same layout sometime and get back to having model railroading fun rather than simply thinking about it!

• Like 2

Dear Dr G-F,

Sounds like I'm very similar indeed to Simon D above, in that I've also wasted many, many years chasing after something and not really knowing what it is that I'm chasing.

Take a break from it all, watch some of your videos, look at your own photos and try to remember what it is about railways that makes you want to model them.

Then, when something takes your fancy, note it down, form a sketch and see if that would suit you.

Thread drift (sorry),

Do/did NA railroads have any specific track plans that shout "Pennsy", "Espee" or whatever, please?

I'm thinking of how UK and Euro railways did for instance, the Midland's aversion to facing points, the Great Centrals island platforms on the 'extension', Bavarian loop arrangements etc.

I'm just wondering as maybe this might help the good doctor along somewhat.

Cheers,

John.

Do/did NA railroads have any specific track plans that shout "Pennsy", "Espee" or whatever, please?

I'm thinking of how UK and Euro railways did for instance, the Midland's aversion to facing points, the Great Centrals island platforms on the 'extension', Bavarian loop arrangements etc.

I'm just wondering as maybe this might help the good doctor along somewhat.

Cheers,

John.

What an interesting question!! A very small minority of US railroads ran 'left-handed' such as the Chigago and North Western: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_and_North_Western_Transportation_Company

The C&NW was also famous for its "pink lady" ballast, a pink quartzite.

N.A. railroads varied in the signal systems they used, but that's not track plan, of course. Multitrack mainlines were more characteristic of the northeastern US than western lines because of the heavy traffic. More sophisticated signaling changed that as the 20th century progressed.

Much of what distinguishes the individual railroads was the architecture, reflecting the region, era, and purposeful design of standard depots and other structures. For instance, the pagoda style depots of the Delaware, Lackawanna and western: http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/DLW-Pagoda/index.html

Or the southwest style of the Santa Fe: http://bartlesvillelocomotive.org/45-2/

Mike

A trackplan that stands out to me as "US Railroads" is the flat crossing, often at 90°, of two railroads across each other, often with an interchange link between them. I know that isn't "RR specific" but it seems a very common feature, whereas in the UK it's a rare thing indeed. (I mean 90° crossings; shallow-angle diamonds & slips are/were common enough)

The trouble with a 90° crossing is working it into a layout plan, unless one of the routes is a "dummy" line and not operational.

Every few years an article appears in the hobby press illustrating hypothetical models of crossings, but they seem rather contrived in most cases. The geometry of fully functional crossings makes them impractical for reasons of space and operational aspect unless they cross at a very acute angle, and even then I'm not so sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to sneak an hour in the shed this evening.  I moved some track around, did some glueing of tiny - and I mean TINY - pipe couplings on the Walthers Plastic Pellet Transfer Facility and felt the first slight fluttering of the mojo coming back.

I've left the shed now - don't want to frighten it off.  I'll keep you posted, fingers crossed...

• Like 3

I managed to sneak an hour in the shed this evening.  I moved some track around, did some glueing of tiny - and I mean TINY - pipe couplings on the Walthers Plastic Pellet Transfer Facility and felt the first slight fluttering of the mojo coming back.

I've left the shed now - don't want to frighten it off.  I'll keep you posted, fingers crossed...

Having the same trouble myself, very little mojo,wish you could buy it in a bottle! :declare:

The mojo returned this week.... and happily coincided with a day off work.  So, when last we visited 'Whatever Yard, Ca' it was in a state of disarray.

post-238-0-74239800-1418916188_thumb.jpg

There followed several weeks of occasional visits to the shed, staring at empty base boards, sighing and walking out again.  Then on Sunday I tentatively hit upon the idea of making the staging tracks look more like one end of a proper yard - a 'bitsa' layout if you will.  I moved track around until I was reasonably happy, then left it to brew for a few days.

I was happy enough with it to actually lay it out properly today, pending a tune up and fixing down tomorrow,

post-238-0-10413200-1418916374_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-26071400-1418916404_thumb.jpg

What I have, is one ladder at the end of the four track yard, a pair of crossovers, an industry spur and then the industrial lead and the main running off scene.  The usual highway overpass clichés will frame the ends of the modelled portion of the yard.  

The other side of the layout is still a blank canvas at this point pending some more turnouts from Hattons.  In the 'bowl' formed by the leads and the main on the left and the ladder on the right will be the yard offices, equipment huts and a small parking lot for RR employees.  I also envisage having a couple of light towers for night ops/atmosphere.  There is enough room to flat switch this yard, blocking cars for the various industries and - this was an important point that the previous iteration failed on - somewhere where my bigger main line motive power won't look too out of place, even if they are only on stage in a cameo role.

I need several more of these neat little offices from Walthers to build a proper yard facility, also those concrete barriers that get used along the edge of the RoW a lot.

post-238-0-95750000-1418916433_thumb.jpg

Feeling quite pleased with the effect so far - it was designed to be a nice spot to take some railfan pictures from, as well as supporting slightly more ops interest than just a plain staging yard.

• Like 10

• 2 months later...

Three desultory months on, and although I've jiggled the track and built some buildings I have to conclude I am not feeling the love any more - the industrial spur in America idea has just upped and died on me

Not sure what to do next, although I am tempted to start selling off the stock to free up some cash pending whatever happens next.

• RMweb Premium

Three desultory months on, and although I've jiggled the track and built some buildings I have to conclude I am not feeling the love any more - the industrial spur in America idea has just upped and died on me

Not sure what to do next, although I am tempted to start selling off the stock to free up some cash pending whatever happens next.

All sounds very familiar!

Its even worse when you have a fully built and 99% finished 12 x 9' 6 though!! :banghead:

I think the only thing that stops me destroying mine and starting again is the fact that I cant afford to at the moment, that and the fact I would hear the gasps of disbelief from the mrs until the end of time!

If it's any help; I find the larger scales (0 & bigger) appeal more to me, even though I don't have much room.

But I am not going to try to fill every available bit of space, not any more a 'railway empire' for me, but a nice compact layout that has everything within reach, so that I can sit down & operate it in comfort.

I've tried to create 'something' in the smaller scales & it never works out for me.

I have a nice 'collection' of H0 locos & freight cars, but could never get the right layout design to keep my interest going.

Now thinking that they might end up in a display case on the wall, as I still like looking at them.

My sincere sympathies.

If it's of any help at all, I've completed the boards for my German themed layout and now feel exactly the same way about that! The true railroad, the Espee has warmed my heart again though, thankfully!

I know it doesn't represent the same amount of 'investment' in time & money as a shed but I wonder if one reaches a certain point of critical mass, then has doubts? I'm certainly regretting all that investment that I've put in - into something I adored and obsessed about only to now think it was a fools errand!

However, while I do think a change IS as good as a rest but maybe a holiday well away from railways of any kind may also do some good.

Chin up!

John E.