Good use of space indeed.

You could change that last switch before going into staging from a LH to RH to avoid the mainline taking the divergent route through a switch. Although, I am not sure how important that issue is in an urban switching setting where running is slow in any case.

Mike

I would curve the innermost staging track around to join the main in front of Gen. Mills, & hang the fact it might mean running the main through the curved leg of a switch... the proximity of the tracks in that corner is too much temptation for me to resist putting in the provision to go roundy-roundy; if not during proper Operations, at least it would be there for those lazy, just for the hell of it moments, or even so locos can be run in, or just so something can be running 'in the background' whilst you do some other modelling. The sound of a train gently trundling around is quite soothing in it's own way - is this hobby supposed to be a source of relaxation or not..??!!?? ;)

Some sound thoughts from the collective wisdom, thanks everyone. 

The curved leg issue is neatly dodged by the fact that there is no 'main' as this is all industry spurs.  The main is off stage, represented by the staging. 

Modelling this sort of area allows us to legitimately use tight 90 degree curves - take an aerial stroll around Vernon Ca in Google (or better still, Bing with it's oblique 'birds-eye' view) and see for yourself.

I think I ought to have a final curve joining the circuit up, as it could easily be blocked by a building for 'normal' ops and then opened up for 'funnies'.

post-238-0-34045900-1415700194_thumb.jpg

et voila!

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I think that the addition of that curve to allow through running is a very good move even if its only used to test or run in stock but you might find the odd occassion when you just want ot sit back and see a train running round.

I was looking at shed on Sunday - went to buy a plant pot and nearly spent over £2500 on a 16 by 8 shed!!

I do look forward to the day when I can make this a reality and have a semi permanent test track set up be it scenic or not.

• Like 4

Hi Doc,

How about a possible alternative? "Hide" the staging sidings behind industries and back-scene, bringing a line from staging in from behind view blockers.

I feel that would not use up too much baseboard width and give plenty of length to the staging tracks and they're out of sight but not inaccessible.

Cheers,

John.

You could just model the continuous run chord up to it's neck in weeds and dirt, it'll look like a disused spur when you're looking at General Mills, it'll look like a different disused spur when you're looking at the staging tracks.

Or, as an alternative, extend the innermost staging track to make a flat diamond crossing with the General Mills track(s) and have a legitimate chord between two crossing lines.

Adrian

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have you considered making a removable shelf that can "clip" onto the front of the mill area with the track to make the layout roundy-roundy, and just put some spurs in on the main layout that the track can connect to?

That way the spurs can represent out of use old trackage until the shelf is slotted into place? :D

Just include a slot between the ties at the board edge that you can drop in a long nail that you can paint red at the tip to represent a "do not proceed" marker for the switching crews. :)

Edited by DanielB

1. Better without the roundy-round, unless you really need it. Would have really compromised the appearance of an actual rr.

I know one modeller who liked to run a train around as he worked on projects; I guess it put him in the right mood. But he had a large layout in a basement.

Some feel a continuous loop is useful during an open house so that trains can run while the owner give full attention to visitors. One solution there is to thrust a throttle in the hand of a trusted visitor and let them run for a while.

2. Your view-block industry at the end of staging appears to hide more active track than staging. Why not shove the main building to the left, open the back to leave room for staging tracks to enter, and hide it with building parallel to staging tracks?

Sometimes you just need (or wish you had) a loop in your routes, solely so you can test run cars and locos to see if an occasional running fault shows up repeatedly, or adjust the speed, momentum bemf or other CV's, or fiddle with something without having to slam the brakes on, just as you were in the middle of spotting or fixing something.

This isn't a plug, but you could have a curve of non-obvious street track running around the front of your view block building as a loop closer. That way it would just appear to be a scenic roadway, or truck parking area unused spur, that doesn't look like it is part of the regular switching trackage. In fact, you could park a few trucks on it for normal (non) use, and just move whenever you need to do some testing.

Andy

Edited by Andy Reichert
  • Like 3

After the Warleypocalypse, I retreated to the shed on Sunday and made a small amount of progress in rebuilding the switcher pike.

It's probably getting difficult to see the difference in some of my plans!

IIRC, the track was all lifted up a few pages back as the general "feel" of the layout was "too much track".

I hesitate to say it, & only in the spirit of trying to be helpful, but.... the latest plan looks like more track than ever..!! :O ;)

I think what I'm trying to do is move the staging track into a place where it is less visible, and free up more of the long walls for operational interest.  So theoretically the 'more' track should be 'less' visible.

Planning on the layout itself, by moving track and turnouts around on the benchwork, seems to give very different impressions to drawn track plans.  

Not much to report, other than the reboot failed to re-ignite my modelling mojo.  So now the Eagle is a Bald Eagle, as I have packed the stock away in boxes, lifted all the track, and am back to bare base boards pending a rethink.

Essentially, history repeated itself.  As soon as I had started operating I was suddenly overcome by boredom.  I fiddled about with the track arrangement, but to no avail.

So, what to do?  Currently no inspiration at all.

Build yourself a 'micro', just switch some cars about on a small portable layout whilst having a re think.

Nothing worse than trying to force it. I thought I had the perfect plan, only to discover that it wasn't what I wanted.

I now have a 4x1 ProtoNook to operate whilst I find what it is that I actually want.

• Like 1