Here's my 'Performance Review' of my weekend.  Something normally associated with work, but what the hell. (And just for fun, I'm definitely not advocating this as normal practice)

Project Plan, and completions against target

• Paint and decal a pair of GATX tank cars  - complete, plus achieved stretch goal (weathered one car)
  • Patch and renumber a pair of ATSF GP38s - complete, plus achieved one stretch goal (weathered one GP38) and one additional unscheduled task (patched and renumbered GP50)
  • Paint a bunch of industrial buildings - partially complete.  One building primer only.
  • assemble one or both Cement Plant buildings - barely started
  • re-jig the tracks in various places - not completely happy with a couple of locations - not started

time on task:  around 7 hours total

resources: several pints of tea and coffee.  One curry. One bar of chocolate.

start time: 09.00

completion time: 22.00

elapsed time: 13 hours

wasted time: 6 hours

46.15% ineffective ToT

rating C+

Since I didn't start the weekend with a MoSCoW plan in place, and only had one day not two, it's amazing I got as much done as I did.

Doc, you seem to be working awfully hard at this railroad thing, maybe you should find a nice hobby where you can relax a bit :)

A few reasons.  Mainly, it just didn't look railroady enough. I'm a bit stuck really, as I suspect I'm still trying to fit too much track in.

Also, two of the turnouts had become defective.  Once I had lifted it and turned them over, I could see that one of the wires linking the closure rail to the rail beyond the frog had come adrift.  No way to fix it, so I shall have to bodge it.

Once I'd lifted them, I just got the urge to keep going.  :O

Another candidate for the serial layout builders club - I'm having very serious thoughts about my build too - that Shilshole Yard idea (dead simple!) is calling me! I can see it being used anywhere in USA, for any of the (Too Many) RRs I have locos for, and just doing interchange transfers with any cars and traffic that appeals, all industries/interchange connection being off layout

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

Jack - that Shilshole Yard info you found inspired my new track plan, you can see it in my thread.

But yeah, I totally agree - if it aint right, don't do it.

I've ripped up 3 layouts now before getting to the stage I'm at. When it's right, it'll just click.

For the space you have - less is definitely more.

Current thought is the twin-track yard (with a possible turnout off the loop feeding a loading platform at one end), with a road crossing at each end, feeding a two or 3 track sector plate at each end. could provide enough switching and storage to give reasonable amount of operation in the space I have available

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to spend a couple of hours in the shed this afternoon.  I am making slow but steady progress with the Walthers Ready Mix plant, but I really need to invest in some up-to-date glue like Mr Cement S.

I also attacked the track again, and by close of play had reduced the formerly fully functional pike to this.

post-238-0-92725900-1415382685_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-29263100-1415382723_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-27499500-1415382743_thumb.jpg

I might actually start rebuilding instead of dismantling over the weekend...

• Like 2

Here's an equation for model rail satisfaction:

R = L / (S + T + U)

where:

R = how railroady things look

L = average length of sidings

S = number of turnouts

T = number of three-way turnouts

U = number of fancy non-prototypical trackwork spots

• Like 1

If you want to look (US) railroady. . .

The main takes the straight route of the turnouts. Straight is shortest (and far less cost) way between two points, and for laying tracks, sidings and spurs. Curves are for those few rare situations where there was an immovable obstacle before the railroad got there, or the land drops away.  Fundamentally,  the land the right of way was laid on, along with the yards etc., was often donated or very low cost. Hence slips,  3 ways, etc. were rarely needed, except for city station throats.

Compared to the UK, it's a big, spacious, country.

Andy

• Like 2

No slips, 3 ways curved or any other tricky track on my pike.... just plain jane #8s.

I'm set to simplify the yard this weekend, and relay the industry tracks to give fewer longer spurs.  I also want to get a curved spur into a General Mills site like Vernon, Ca.  

The other end of the industrial district will have the ready mix plant and the cement silos.

Ideally my shed would be twice as wide and three times as long.... I wouldn't have a much bigger railroad, but I would spread out what I did have.

Mojo somewhat returned after watching a bunch of LAJ vids on youtube.

• Like 3

I obviously spent too much time today reading a paper about optimizing a fleet of driverless on-demand cars in cities. Encountered some math symbols I was not taught in school. Interesting nevertheless.

Anyway, Andy is right about the main route through a turnout was usually the straight path. In those situations where the main route was the diverging path, track engineers had a way of tucking the diverging route point into the stock rail to 'protect it.' If I recall, there would be a little kink worked in, basically a subtle curve in the 'straight' stock rail before the diverging point to transition into the curve. Hard to describe.

Mike

Here's an equation for model rail satisfaction:

R = L / (S + T + U)

where:

R = how railroady things look

L = average length of sidings

S = number of turnouts

T = number of three-way turnouts

U = number of fancy non-prototypical trackwork spots

This reminds me of Tony Koester's Second Corollary of Model Railroading.  'The number of staging tracks you actually need, N, is determined by the equation 2n+ 1 = N where n is the number of staging tracks you initially thought you would need.'

I feel actual pain when I see the main route take the curved leg of a turnout! on a plan or layout  It's such an obvious model railroad trick.  I know there are examples on the prototype, but they look wrong too!

Current thinking is this... 

post-238-0-41879300-1415449205_thumb.jpg

or this....

post-238-0-49754900-1415462655_thumb.jpg

but I'm open to suggestions.  

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters

I obviously spent too much time today reading a paper about optimizing a fleet of driverless on-demand cars in cities. Encountered some math symbols I was not taught in school. Interesting nevertheless.

Anyway, Andy is right about the main route through a turnout was usually the straight path. In those situations where the main route was the diverging path, track engineers had a way of tucking the diverging route point into the stock rail to 'protect it.' If I recall, there would be a little kink worked in, basically a subtle curve in the 'straight' stock rail before the diverging point to transition into the curve. Hard to describe.

Mike

It has more to do with the serious speed restriction imposed on the the diverging route of all US regular (non-high speed) turnouts. You'd reduce the "main" speed limit to a near crawl (5 mph?) if you run it through the diverging route.

Andy

• Like 1

I managed a couple of hours in the shed over the weekend, and got the Ready Mix plant finished ready for spraying.  I also tinkered about with the track to see if I could work out what was bugging me about the previous version.

It seems to hinge on my dislike of a large amount of prime real estate given over to staging tracks, but also needing to have staging tracks as I want to be able to get rolling stock 'off stage'.  I can't accept a train sitting in front of me as having been delivered by another railroad for some reason...

Anyway, it occurred to me that I could shove the staging out of the way AND extend the length of run by almost 50%.

post-238-0-35198100-1415639323_thumb.jpg

I've mocked this up in actual track (should have taken some pictures) and it does seem to work quite well - the real benefit is the whole extra run along the bottom of the plan for more industries, plus an impressive sized General Mills plant.

I am working away from home for the next three days, so if it still looks ok when I get back then next weekend I shall go ahead and start nailing the track down again. :D

• Like 2

I like it because you now have either a run-round loop or a place where two trains can pass (well that's how I would use it anyway!). Should add to the operational possibilities and thus interest.

Only non-railroad possible problem I can see, is having a large number of your delicate and valuable trains default to sitting on the doorway lifting section, when not in use.

That will get old very quickly, apart from the increased risk of accidents and inconvenience if having to exit at short notice.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

If I can offer another alternative to the lift out section-

don't have one!

I use a duck under and after having it for the last 8 years, it really is no big deal to 'duck under'.

Even at the corner of the layout where its probably 3 feet wide.