Well, ok, I guess you're almost back to the original track arrangement but seems to me you've made some important changes along the way. You have fewer but longer sidings which straightaway makes everything look more realistic. Also, you recognized early on that the four track yard was just too much and reduced it to two, which looks better and doesn't waste real estate on turnouts.

Even with no scenery there is an open work-in-progress look of a modern industrial park.

Mike

• Like 1

I have to confess I succumbed to an attack of rampant silliness this afternoon.  

I slewed two of the spurs in the bottom left corner of the plan posted above, joined them up to make a roundy roundy and then spent a few hours watching trains go, well, round and round.  

I got up to 29 freight cars behind the SD38-2s before running out of road worthy freight cars,  Going forwards was fun, but I even managed to propel them round the pike too!

Just goes to show how the body mounted KDs work just like the real thing!

When sanity returns, I shall just disguise the continuous run with a strategically placed industry.  

• Like 9

I have to confess I succumbed to an attack of rampant silliness this afternoon.  

I slewed two of the spurs in the bottom left corner of the plan posted above, joined them up to make a roundy roundy and then spent a few hours watching trains go, well, round and round.  

I got up to 29 freight cars behind the SD38-2s before running out of road worthy freight cars,  Going forwards was fun, but I even managed to propel them round the pike too!

Just goes to show how the body mounted KDs work just like the real thing!

When sanity returns, I shall just disguise the continuous run with a strategically placed industry.  

IMHO, it's sanity if you hide the connection for operating. It's a free 50 scale mile test and exercise and running-viewing track that is insane to just throw away, if you have baseboards laid in that suitable configuration anyway.

• Like 1

IMHO, it's sanity if you hide the connection for operating. It's a free 50 scale mile test and exercise and running-viewing track that is insane to just throw away, if you have baseboards laid in that suitable configuration anyway.

I agree totally - however "frowned upon" it may be by "serious" modellers, give me a roundy-roundy any day. You can even run trains whilst doing other modelling - time doesn't have to be 'either/or' modelling or operating. I think I suggested it early on in this thread. If the baseboards join up, then so can the track. Even Sir Mindheim has planned roundy-roundy layouts!! ;)

I always liked having the opportunity to watch trains go by, from various angles so I could admire my badly built cardboard scenery kits as trains passed...

With your boards, having a sly roundy roundy is the best of all worlds in my view.

• RMweb Premium

I agree totally - however "frowned upon" it may be by "serious" modellers, give me a roundy-roundy any day. You can even run trains whilst doing other modelling - time doesn't have to be 'either/or' modelling or operating. I think I suggested it early on in this thread. If the baseboards join up, then so can the track. Even Sir Mindheim has planned roundy-roundy layouts!! ;)

That makes me feel better! :D

Nothing wrong with having the best of both worlds.

99% of the layout plans I see from the likes of MRR are also roundy-roundy in their huge basement empires. Even the likes of the master designer John Armstrong are roundy type layouts!

Good Friday? More like darn near Perfect Friday.  

Got all my wiring completed, and the layout is now fully functional.  I had a couple of hours letting things roll round and round, including Chinese steamers, MP15ACs, SD38-2s and GP38s.  Much fun to be had.

Then I did a serious bit of grown up switching.  Then I did some weathering.  And played the bass for an hour.

Now, film and pizza night with the family.

• Like 3

Good Friday? More like darn near Perfect Friday.  

Got all my wiring completed, and the layout is now fully functional.  I had a couple of hours letting things roll round and round, including Chinese steamers, MP15ACs, SD38-2s and GP38s.  Much fun to be had.

Then I did a serious bit of grown up switching.  Then I did some weathering.  And played the bass for an hour.

Now, film and pizza night with the family.

That's the spirit!

The main thing is to ensure that YOU enjoy yourself, do as much or as little as you like, just keep it fun!

Cheers,

John

I agree that a "roundy roundy" gives far more options. My garage sized HO layout was transformed (for the better) when I rebuilt it from a U shaped by putting a lift out shelf across the garage door end. Its much more enjoyable to leave a freight slowly run around the layout while doing modeling jobs, especially with sound equipped locos. Also continuous running is good for debugging locos, rolling stock and trackwork.

Anyway glad you're mojo has returned

So, who are these "serious" modellers, and where have you seen them "frowning upon" oval layouts?

I'd love to know. I mean, you can run trains round and round on Pepoul, and in terms of quality modelling and getting things right, I don't think you can get much more serious than that.

They're SO serious, they don't actually do any modelling. For one thing much of their time is taken up frowning at other people's modelling.... :jester:
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Glad to see you have added a link for continuous running. Its a good to be able just stand or sit back and watch trains go round. Its also a good way to run in locos and also fault find any issues on rolling stock.

I built Santa Barbara with trains running round all day although I do regret ballasting the running lines whilst train moving when I dropped a hammer on the boards and ballast bounced up into the loco mechanism!!

Here's a question for you all to ponder.

How many freight cars should my pike hold?

I ask, because as I've been operating over the past few hours I've been taking stock off in order to free up space that needs to be used to keep things fluid.  Currently at 2 50' tank cars, 2 50' double door boxcars, 6 50' single door box cars and 1 MP15AC...this seems a scant amount of stock for a 14 x 8.

Thinking on it over lunch, I guess the question really is, how should this line be operated?  

I suppose it would start with defining the industries and determining what traffic they receive or generate, and how often.

You can't go wrong with that approach.

Doing a little calculating, I don't think the 11 rail cars on your layout is so few. If you count the 11 cars off the layout that will replace them during an op session, I get 22 cars. And unless you're going to just switch the same two groups of cars on and off, you could have another 11 cars that you moved off in the previous session, so now you're up to 33. Yes, of course I simplify, and I am making assumptions on how you will operate, and I know you would likely not switch all cars in a session, but if you're operating scheme involves moving cars on and off the layout via an interchange track or yard, then you have to count the cars waiting in the wings to come onstage. That's the point my simple equation is trying to make.

Mike

Ah, Trevor Marshall. I always like to see his name in the byline of an article and I check his blog regularly. He is a good example of how paying attention to details in operations enhances modeling.

Mike

• Like 2

This afternoon I have mainly been mocking up the corner industry...

post-238-0-97125800-1428165495_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-26432300-1428165520_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-91703400-1428165547_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-39513700-1428165571_thumb.jpg

and a first pass at weathering some freight cars.  Cheapy blue boxes, so no worries if I screw up.  Actually, this stuff washes right off until it's fixed with dullcote so no risk at all.

post-238-0-34054800-1428165595_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-90506500-1428165653_thumb.jpg

I'm definitely not one for focussing on one task at a time :D

• Like 5

How many freight cars should my pike hold?

I ask, because as I've been operating over the past few hours I've been taking stock off in order to free up space that needs to be used to keep things fluid.

Put everything you've got on it, plug all the sidings, and model a part of Houston after the UP/SP merger. Semi-seriously - would a little bit of 'crowding' not add to the operational interest, if that's what you're interested in?

Put everything you've got on it, plug all the sidings, and model a part of Houston after the UP/SP merger. Semi-seriously - would a little bit of 'crowding' not add to the operational interest, if that's what you're interested in?

I'd have to model rickety track, several cars on the ground and a HazMat crew on bicycle chasing the switch crew with portable breathing apparatus as yet another chem load goes in the dirt!

Houston in the 80s was hard ass railroading for sure

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Dr, that ready mix plant, is it a kit or scratchbuilt?

Good to see you're making progress again.

Cheers,

Mark.

I'm sure Dr GF wont mind me answering, that's a Walthers Cornerstone Blue Star ready mix plant- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walthers-3086-Blue-Star-Ready-Mix-Kit-HO-Scale-/261826850597?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf618af25