RMweb

Bachmann Peppercorn A2

Guest TomTank

I think that this is the old chestnut of modelling the locomotive in question on a particular date in question. If you have a photograph to prove a point, then you know you are right. I suspect that the A2s were painted in both schemes at some point in their careers, so it's not a question of right or wrong, but when.

Great shot & definatly green which has clarified one thing for me in BR days they were black! I have been going through my colour shots in LNER Pacifics in Colour by Derek Penney & all the loco's shown in there show sandbox fillers are black. Interestingly the front cover shows Blue Peter in very clean condition & they look black to me on that photo.

cheers

Ian H

I'm always wary of the accuracy of preserved loco's liveries. I have a photo of 'Blue Peter' taken when it visited the SRPS at Bo'ness and the firebox boiler band is lined [as it is in the photo on the NELPG website], which, I understand, it shouldn't be. A close examination of Silverlink's photo of 60534 at Waverley seems to confirm this.

On an aside regarding the most popular version I notice that the early BR green version, 'Batchelors Button, is shown on Bachmann's website as sold out whereas the two LNER green versions are still available.

Jeremy

• RMweb Premium

I'm always wary of the accuracy of preserved loco's liveries. I have a photo of 'Blue Peter' taken when it visited the SRPS at Bo'ness and the firebox boiler band is lined [as it is in the photo on the NELPG website], which, I understand, it shouldn't be. A close examination of Silverlink's photo of 60534 at Waverley seems to confirm this.

On an aside regarding the most popular version I notice that the early BR green version, 'Batchelors Button, is shown on Bachmann's website as sold out whereas the two LNER green versions are still available.

Jeremy

Spot on Jeremy. The LNER pacifics in B.R. days in Brunswick Green livery did not have their fireboxes lined. The exception to this was in the last year or so when this abberation on some of the survivors could occasionally be seen. However that last year does not really represent them in their true light.

post-6680-072629700 1291118566_thumb.jpg

PIcture by my old friend Gavin Morrison. Sandbox fillers were green and just because they weren't cleaned does not mean they were painted black. Not one Pacific shows sandbox fillers clean in Derek Penney's book of LNER Pacifics, and so I expected this book to be cited as "proof" they were black.

Coach,

I presume that photo is of 60128 "Bongrace" taken at Doncaster 36A on 29th September 1962 following a HO at the Works. This is gleaned from the book "Steam Works" page 98 and immediatley below this photograph is one of A2/3 60522 "Straight Deal" taken on the 6th March 1960.

In both of these photographs taken by Gavin the Sandbox fillers are Green as is the edge of the running plate.

Regards.

We understand that the much awaited Limited Edition A2 ''Blue Peter'' in the wooden display case will be with us 2nd week of December, if everything goes according to plan there will be just enough time to get them out before Christmas.

Just in time for my birthday hopefully :D

HALLO .received my eagerly awaited A2 525 A H Peppercorn,LNER green.Looks good at first glance and all the talk about how good it is ?,Noticed AWS box on left by cab steps,then no lift holes in front frame,cab fall plate at an unreasonble angle,fit of steam dome,boiler seam at lubricators,then the very low releif of the cartazzi axle boxes and springs no splashers over front bogie wheels.and still the same tender chassis ie brake blocks and rigging moulded to the frames,it runs good . Most of the faults are easily rectified without spoilng the paint job and lining, at least i dont need another one the Djh kit will become SUGAR PALM. have put the hard hat on in readyness for the fallout,

HALLO .received my eagerly awaited A2 525 A H Peppercorn,LNER green.Looks good at first glance and all the talk about how good it is ?,Noticed AWS box on left by cab steps,then no lift holes in front frame,cab fall plate at an unreasonble angle,fit of steam dome,boiler seam at lubricators,then the very low releif of the cartazzi axle boxes and springs no splashers over front bogie wheels.and still the same tender chassis ie brake blocks and rigging moulded to the frames,it runs good . Most of the faults are easily rectified without spoilng the paint job and lining, at least i dont need another one the Djh kit will become SUGAR PALM. have put the hard hat on in readyness for the fallout,

Haters gonna hate lol :D

I have taken the liberty of forwarding the listing to Barwell.

Why?

If someone wants to list something they own then what's the issue? And if someone out there is crazy enough to part with £250 for it then good luck to them.

bluex5

Group:

Members Posts:

314 Joined:

19-December 07 Posted Today, 16:29

Ian Hargrave, on 01 December 2010 - 15:30 , said:

I have taken the liberty of forwarding the listing to Barwell.

Why?

If someone wants to list something they own then what's the issue? And if someone out there is crazy enough to part with £250 for it then good luck to them.

I agree entirely.If someone wanted one they should belong to the Club and get their order in.

Once again its supply & demand.

I think that this is the old chestnut of modelling the locomotive in question on a particular date in question. If you have a photograph to prove a point, then you know you are right. I suspect that the A2s were painted in both schemes at some point in their careers, so it's not a question of right or wrong, but when.

This is an excellent point well made. All power to those who make great effort to make models into beautiful and exact representations of a particular time place or scene.

Would it be true that some Scottish sheds allowed non-standard paint finishes to locomotives in the 50s and 60s? Photos I have seen in many many books and magazines over the years suggest this may be so, but I do not know enough about the maintenance and repair of such as 2Ps and Compounds in Ayrshire, or Black 5s in LNER sheds, to be able to make anything other than conjecture. Such as light paint on smokebox door hinge-plates (yuk) or even worse, white driving wheel tyres! There were some terrible things done in Scotland. I blame Culloden.

Rob

Long shot: does anyone have/know source of pictures of Blue Peter's cab interior. In particular I would like to know the presence, and locations, of the OHL flashes, post 1998. My guess is they would still be in the cab today, to any pics at Barrow Hill in recent years would be of use.

I have not had any luck as yet in locating this material on the internet.

Would it be true that some Scottish sheds allowed non-standard paint finishes to locomotives in the 50s and 60s? Photos I have seen in many many books and magazines over the years suggest this may be so, but I do not know enough about the maintenance and repair of such as 2Ps and Compounds in Ayrshire, or Black 5s in LNER sheds, to be able to make anything other than conjecture. Such as light paint on smokebox door hinge-plates (yuk) or even worse, white driving wheel tyres! There were some terrible things done in Scotland. I blame Culloden.

Rob

Rob, I don’t know that there was more ‘unusual’ decoration on Scottish Region engines in the 1950s and 60s than on other regions, though there definitely were some non-standard touches. Apart from the blue-backed nameplates on some ex-LNER Pacifics discussed earlier in this topic, some engines had blue backing to smokebox numberplates and shedplates - Hornby’s Black 5 45458 is modelled like this. There were also a few red-backed smokebox numberplates and shedplates. And yes, there were engines with white or silver smokebox straps, but I don’t remember ever seeing painted wheel rims (though I’m sure someone will come up with a picture). Other unusual details were Ayr’s 45161 with the smokebox kept clean, no matter what state the rest of the engine was in, and the odd engine with an attempt to reproduce pre-grouping smokebox decorations, like this. (That was actually a large pot lid on 80086!) The nicest touch around at the time was the thistles on the buffers of the preserved Caledonian 123 (done by the father of a member of this forum - see post#8 in this thread).

Bachmann web site now list Blue Peter as Dec/Jan release - between this and the delay of A3 Brown Jack its going to a virtually train free christmas.
doh! what am I saying - there' s an L1, and a 105 105 DMU class 17 and 14 still on the list.

Edited by davidw

Bachmann web site now list Blue Peter as Dec/Jan release - between this and the delay of A3 Brown Jack its going to a virtually train free christmas.

doh! what am I saying - thers' s an L1, and a 105 105 DMU class 17 and 14 still on the list.

Presume its related to the headline of the London Evening Standard tonight:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23903802-snow-stops-christmas---thousands-of-gifts-trapped-at-ports-and-depots.do

Oh Dear. Train free december yes. Expensive Jan, very expensive Jan!

I hope they don't up the price to account for VAT - Bachmann, or its suppliers who introduced the error requiring delay and correction, should absorb the cost. In the same way RR are (probably) going to have to pay big money to Qantas!

Rob, I don’t know that there was more ‘unusual’ decoration on Scottish Region engines in the 1950s and 60s than on other regions, though there definitely were some non-standard touches. Apart from the blue-backed nameplates on some ex-LNER Pacifics discussed earlier in this topic, some engines had blue backing to smokebox numberplates and shedplates - Hornby’s Black 5 45458 is modelled like this. There were also a few red-backed smokebox numberplates and shedplates. And yes, there were engines with white or silver smokebox straps, but I don’t remember ever seeing painted wheel rims (though I’m sure someone will come up with a picture). Other unusual details were Ayr’s 45161 with the smokebox kept clean, no matter what state the rest of the engine was in, and the odd engine with an attempt to reproduce pre-grouping smokebox decorations, like this. (That was actually a large pot lid on 80086!) The nicest touch around at the time was the thistles on the buffers of the preserved Caledonian 123 (done by the father of a member of this forum - see post#8 in this thread).

Thankyou for the reply, my rather unsupportable speculation comes from photos in old P B Whitehouse 'Branch Line Album' books, where I had a feeling that some Scottish engines had unusual paint here and there, and alas the books are packed away somewhere.

Best, Rob

Spoke to Modelfair yesterday to update my payment details (ordered September 2009!) and they are saying they hope to have Blue Peter with me 'in the next 10 working days'.

In the history of model railways has there ever been another loco more eagerly awaited than Blue Peter ? I well remember my Hornby Dublo days waiting for that newly named A4 but it never came!!! Golden Fleece for ever.

Ian H

• RMweb Gold

In the history of model railways has there ever been another loco more eagerly awaited than Blue Peter ? I well remember my Hornby Dublo days waiting for that newly named A4 but it never came!!! Golden Fleece for ever.

Ian H

Childhood highlight for me was when John Noakes used to build something for the 'layout' on the Blue Peter TV program then used to run 532 past the finished item. Always wondered where they got the model from - presume (now) either a Liliput or a Wills kit?