Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Days when you know why you live in the British Isles

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I love walking the hills and mountains of these beautiful isles in most weathers, but some days are just unforgettable.

Saturday was one such day. A day spent above the clouds in the fells of the Northwest Lakes, when everyone else was under them, just for a change...

Looking west out over the Solway Firth...

attachicon.gifAbove the clouds.jpg

Skiddaw...

attachicon.gifSkiddaw 1.jpg

Hopegill Head...

attachicon.gifHopegill Head 1.jpg

Looking over to the Helvellyn range...

attachicon.gifGrisedale Pike 1.jpg

Whiteside...

attachicon.gifWhiteside.jpg

Brocken spectre...

attachicon.gifBrocken Spectre.jpg

...and not forgetting my faithful companion of course...

attachicon.gifAnya.jpg

Cheers

Dave

Wow! looks a bit nippy though, but I suppose the climb warmed you up.

• RMweb Gold

Hi. I've been cycle touring - yesterday - and took a few photo's as well. The first two are of the Church and Lychgate in the village of Hotham, E.Yorks, followed by a photo' of the setting Sun over Beverley Westwood. A lovely spring like day!

post-22631-0-79117200-1423517308_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-77565900-1423517331_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-35666100-1423517350_thumb.jpg

All the best,

Market65.

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

Evenin' all,

Just  back from a 3 day trip to Rye, East Sussex. Lovely sunshine; stayed in the Old Windmill adj. to Rye station; walks on the 1066 route from Winchelsea; trip on 'The Bluebell railway; several pints of Harveys in 'The Mermaid' the infamous smugglers inn; visit to Canterbury this morning

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 6

Two views of the pontoon version of the last scene of Shakespeare's King Lear. The pontoon is floating on King Lear's Lake in Watermead Country Park, just North of Leicester.

post-9751-0-18565300-1424393144_thumb.jpg

post-9751-0-75261100-1424393253_thumb.jpg

One legend has it that King Lear was buried in a cave under the River Soar which flows nearby.

The seagull wouldn't fly away......

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 8

Hmm, it has been a while since I posted here. So, high time to showcase my favourite part of Great Britain some more:

post-13158-0-27021600-1425023024_thumb.jpg

Llyn Trawsfynydd from Tomen Y Mur.

After reading a discussion on another thread, I decided not to crop out Trawsfynydd power station. It might not be the most pretty sight in Wales but it is, as remarked elsewhere, a historical monument in it's own right.

But for me, the bits in the foreground are far more interesting and the reason I was up there  in the first place.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

2_031551_430000000.jpg

I took this photo on 13th July 1968. An occupation bridge near Hartlebury on the Severn Valley branch.

What is striking in this picture is the quality of workmanship in the bridge with neat dressed masonry and graceful curving wing walls. For a simple occupation bridge. There were thousands of similar bridges all over the country -- but if a single one was built like this today it would almost certainly qualify for an architectural award, media coverage, and an opening ceremony.

Passenger services on this line had ceased within 2 years, and the track was lifted in 1981. The bridge is still there, unloved and uncared for, damaged by vandals, lost among the bushes and serving no practical purpose:

2_031605_110000000.jpg

I took this photo last week. Those who sweated and toiled to build it would be sad to see it looking like this, although maybe pleased that it is at least still standing.

And I was sad, because I do remember taking the first picture, on a lovely summer's day 47 years ago.

Martin.

• Like 7

No hope of competing with some of the pictures on here but this is the view from above Glasgow after a wee smattering of snow the other day.

The Campsie hills and then the snow covered Ben Lomond in the distance. Not quite the view from our back windows, we are two miles to the right and about 100 foot lower although we can see most of the Campsies and the Ben above the rooftops.

post-10324-0-80956400-1425482552_thumb.jpg

Dave Franks.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Today I had a drive out to Otterburn in Northumberland.  As usual at this time of years the roads were quiet.  Actually in Northumberland most of the roads are very quiet all the year.  There aren't many villages or even houses either.

post-5613-0-58478300-1425484549_thumb.jpg

Cheviot from Raylees Common

post-5613-0-15785500-1425484558_thumb.jpg

Cheviots from Battle Hill

post-5613-0-01359900-1425484545_thumb.jpg

Blakehope Fell from Battle Hill

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Looking across the sun lit Vale of Edale towards Kinder Scout and the High Peak in the Peak District National Park - a cool gentle breeze in the air and the warmth of the sun on my face - Spring is almost here.   :)

• Like 19

Foxton Locks South Leicestershire this afternoon:

post-9751-0-06540400-1426279047_thumb.jpg

Looking towards Leicester with Grand Union Canal on the left and the Top Lock and Lock Keeper's Cottage of the 10 Lock Foxton "Staircase" in the distance and on the right a disused arm, which used to lead from the top of Foxton Inclined Plane.

post-9751-0-80804700-1426279475_thumb.jpg 

Looking down the remnants of the Inclined Plane towards the lower access spur and boat lift caisson pools. The Inclined Plane was opened in 1900, but mothballed in 1911 because the anticipated increased levels of canal traffic never materialised and other canal improvements further South never took place.

Large parts of it were sold for scrap in 1928. The site is a Scheduled Monument and there are long term plans to rebuild/reopen the Inclined Plane at a cost of £9m plus.

post-9751-0-09238800-1426283682_thumb.jpg

Looking down the Staircase, apparently the largest flight of it's particular kind in England, towards the Bottom Lock with the Inclined Plane Engine House to the right. Foxton Locks are part of the European Route of Industrial Heritage and Grade II listed.

post-9751-0-44009800-1426285422_thumb.jpg

View just beyond the bottom of the Staircase, with the Market Harborough canal arm curving sharply away to the left, through the brick arched bridge access to foot of the Inclined Plane area and via the bend and just out of sight to the right  the Bottom Lock of the Staircase.

• Like 16