The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Days when you know why you live in the British Isles

• RMweb Premium

When I visited Mangapps a few years ago visible from the train was a crop that was very like oil-seed rape but was a purple colour. I asked John Jolley what it was and he said it was linseed. It had been planted as an experiment and was quite successful but a decision had been made not to grow any more.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

On a miserable wet day today, looking back through my photos for memories of better days in the British Isles. This was 4th October 2015.

Open day on the RVLR

rvlr_1280x960.jpg

Evening shunting at Llanfair

llanfair_shunt_1280x720.jpg

Martin.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, SVRlad said:

Ah, the Rhiw Valley Light Railway. We go there each year for an open weekend, either August or September. I recognise a few of the faces in your photograph on what looks a very sunny day. 

Yes, it's a very pleasant way to spend a sunny afternoon -- tea and cakes on the lawn: http://rvlr.co.uk/

Here's another view, which I think I have posted before:

rvlr_1280_rp.jpg

Martin.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna test people's knowledge of the British Isles, below is a pic of a village which is in one of Britain's hottest, and driest areas. Clues,- a couple of miles to the west is a well known lighthouse, a couple of miles to the east is a seaside town where a lot of the buildings have a good view.

DSCF6997 (2).JPG

• Like 5

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Hmm, that's an interesting challenge as I can fit a lighthouse and a seaside town (twice over!!) but can't fit anything between the two that matches the topography in that picture

My guesswork is that there's not many linear settlements below a coastal undercliff. There is a significant but subtle clue on the skyline and triangulating back from that and the solar panels on the houses puts me here - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.5825317,-1.2454329,158m/data=!3m1!1e3 with an estimated time of 08.00 on a mid-June morning.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Well there are some cliffs on the North Norfolk coast Near Hunstanton, with lighthouses to the west,  but those rocks behind the houses look too granite like rather than limestone..

East anglia is the driest area of the UK with St Osyth in Essex being the driest of the lot..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TheQ said:

East anglia is the driest area of the UK with St Osyth in Essex being the driest of the lot..

And there was me thinking it was always Great Wakering.

edit Psst, I did say 'one of the hottest and driest' -:sungum:

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, AY Mod said:

My guesswork is that there's not many linear settlements below a coastal undercliff. There is a significant but subtle clue on the skyline and triangulating back from that and the solar panels on the houses puts me here - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.5825317,-1.2454329,158m/data=!3m1!1e3 with an estimated time of 08.00 on a mid-June morning.

Nice one Andy, to be honest I didn't think it was easy without previous knowledge of the area, but I must be wrong. The Undercliff has it's own micro-climate. evident by the Ventnor Botanical Gardens, and the hours of sunshine at Steephill Cove :sungum:.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps we could turn this into a little challenge? 

If no one minds, here's my entry. The clues are that the difference between the distances between the town one mile to the west of this location and two British capital cities is exactly 300 miles (as the crow flies), and another town four miles to the west has nine railway stations.

image.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Well, I will hazard a guess that you are looking across the Clyde at Helensburgh.

The town to the west would be Port Glasgow, and the one with 9 railway stations should be Greenock, but I can only count 6 current ones, plus , maybe two others which no longer exist.

The give away for me is the timber pilings in the water which are the remnants of the Timber ponds, which were usd to hold whole tree trunks in the water prior to being used in shipbuilding.

The two Capitals would be London and Cardiff

Google streetview link here ( I hope)

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.933951,-4.678972,3a,28.7y,270h,90.91t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipPMSlFPMtlyZrDx4Bf_WewlmwqgKX4_RZOmQ8a6!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipPMSlFPMtlyZrDx4Bf_WewlmwqgKX4_RZOmQ8a6%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-9.231429-ya20.948463-ro-0-fo100!7i8000!8i4000

Regards

Ian

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

49 minutes ago, Ian Smeeton said:

Well, I will hazard a guess that you are looking across the Clyde at Helensburgh.

The town to the west would be Port Glasgow, and the one with 9 railway stations should be Greenock, but I can only count 6 current ones, plus , maybe two others which no longer exist.

The give away for me is the timber pilings in the water which are the remnants of the Timber ponds, which were usd to hold whole tree trunks in the water prior to being used in shipbuilding.

The two Capitals would be London and Cardiff

Google streetview link here ( I hope)

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.933951,-4.678972,3a,28.7y,270h,90.91t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipPMSlFPMtlyZrDx4Bf_WewlmwqgKX4_RZOmQ8a6!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipPMSlFPMtlyZrDx4Bf_WewlmwqgKX4_RZOmQ8a6%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-9.231429-ya20.948463-ro-0-fo100!7i8000!8i4000

Regards

Ian

Well, it was actually looking towards Dumbarton, and the two capitals are London and Edinburgh (58 miles to Edinburgh, 358 miles to London), but aside from that spot on. It was taken whilst we were in the car on the A8, having just had a day out on Waverley.

Somewhere in that image is where my uncle lives - he bought a farm about 20 years ago, and extensively renovated the house, probably quadrupling its value by now. 

Feel free to do one yourself, if other members are happy with the idea?

Edited by SVRlad
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, bike2steam said:

Nice one Andy, to be honest I didn't think it was easy without previous knowledge of the area, but I must be wrong. The Undercliff has it's own micro-climate. evident by the Ventnor Botanical Gardens, and the hours of sunshine at Steephill Cove :sungum:.

Although I know the area, I wouldn't have guessed it so well done to Mr York and a good challenge from bike2steam!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Ian Smeeton said:

I will leave this open to anyone else who fancies a go, as my photos & clue writing are rubbish

Go on, I'll chuck one in. Quite a straightforward one featuring some of the more significant hills all in the same county.

1.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Go on, I'll chuck one in. Quite a straightforward one featuring some of the more significant hills all in the same county.

1.jpg

Oh, come on Andy, you’ve just photographed your railway back scene from the Taff Valley layout!

• Funny 5

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

1.jpg

Think I’ve found it - Paul Rey Viewpoint near Leek. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Paul+Rey,+View+Point,+Leek+ST13+8UN/@53.1369365,-1.9558147,13z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x487a3924a7a0a579:0x8cf6c65a9cb04a2b

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, SVRlad said:

Sadly not, although that's one of my favourite roads in Britain. However from there you can often see four out of the seven hills shown in my pic.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1