Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Layout Damaged at open day!

• RMweb Gold

Found the policy document: it is linked to the Magnet Model Railway Insurance web-site. I could not find anything that referred specifically to transit of layouts, but I presume it is under the Section 3: All risks: "We will pay for damage to property belonging to you, or for which you have accepted responsibility....."

There are exceptions, including theft of or from unattended trailers or vehicles. (With either higher excess, or total exclusion).

Coverage thus assumes that the exhibition organisers have accepted responsibility for the layouts including in transit (or that is the way I see it).

I may well have missed something. I do think somebody who is taking out this insurance should ask Magnet a few pointed questions: like where exactly does it say that the layouts are covered in transit?

This is also from Magnet's website:

'All Risks' Exhibition Contents, stands, fixtures & fittings, signs. Covers all damage to official exhibitors' property. Cover is effective from the start of journey to exhibition and to the end of the journey home. Limit of any one article is 5% of full value of exhibition sum insured or £1,000 whichever is greater (this can be varied by agreement with Magnet Insurance, subject to prior notification). Covers exhibition officials' personal effects against Fire and Theft up to £100 for anyone official.

Web page with this on is at:  http://www.modelrailwayinsurance.co.uk/cover-summary-exhibition.htm    Then use click on "All risks......." under "Standard cover includes".

• RMweb Gold

The point I was making was the insurance we take out (through our brokers - Magnet) is for our benefit. In fact it is unlawful to take out insurance for something that you do not have an insurable interest in ( you cannot insure a jumbo jet owned by British Airways or your next door neighbour's car - for obvious reasons). We have no insurable interest in your layout so we cannot insure your layout. We can only insure us against damage that we may cause to your layout.

If you drop your layout on the way to the exhibition hall or damage it in a motoring accident on the way to the exhibition then our insurance doesn't cover you and why should it? We were not involved in causing the damage.

We are not insurance brokers who can arrange insurance on your behalf.

Still no confirmation then of which exhibition(s) meil is involved with.

As long as you ask to see a copy of the insurance cover for any exhibition before you attend, you will be able to see which ones have inadequate cover. You will therefore be able to avoid meils shows even if he does not tell you which ones he is involved with.

The point I was making was the insurance we take out (through our brokers - Magnet) is for our benefit. In fact it is unlawful to take out insurance for something that you do not have an insurable interest in ( you cannot insure a jumbo jet owned by British Airways or your next door neighbour's car - for obvious reasons). We have no insurable interest in your layout so we cannot insure your layout. We can only insure us against damage that we may cause to your layout.

If you drop your layout on the way to the exhibition hall or damage it in a motoring accident on the way to the exhibition then our insurance doesn't cover you and why should it? We were not involved in causing the damage.

We are not insurance brokers who can arrange insurance on your behalf.

Surely if you say to an exhibitor 'we want it for the 2 days, so please leave it and we will look after it' you have entered into a legal contract. You therefore must have an 'insurable interest' from that point onwards.

Therefore surely the insurance of the property that you are looking after is your insurable responsibility?

If your exhibitors knew that position (if it's correct) compared to the cover they get for other events (of which there of several organisers on this site and indeed within this topic) you may find some would be reluctant to attend. If that position is true I would say that you would be honour, if not duty, bound to make them aware their layouts and stock are not covered in transit nor even within the venue if the damage were caused by themselves or a third party. I'd think the same reluctance would follow but I'd feel that you would owe your supporting exhibitors some honesty in the matter. You may well already be doing so and I may be off the mark but this one smells a bit funny to me.

Alternatively it may be worth you speaking to Magnet and clarifying your coverage as you may find you're covered for things that the rest of us are and may be sending out an alarming message inadvertently.

I agree that clarification on the points Andy has raised above is now pretty much required. 

Rather than hi-jack this topic further from the original course, :offtopic:  in which many have expressed their sympathy and support for Darren (can I add my sympathy to those) perhaps we could open a new topic. But I suspect that we won't get to know the shows under discussion, if indeed that is their position regarding insurance, as I feel that they may then struggle to attract a decent calibre of layout. 

As an example we attended a show, run along commercial lines. Only when I read through their paperwork after the show did I realise that the layout and stock was only covered whilst actually in the hall, not in transit or even outside the venue in the car park. There were a good few other poor elements within the organisation of the show which I won't go into here, suffice to say none of our layouts will be going to any shows with the same organisers again, I'm also aware that a good many other exhibitors feel the same. 

Moral of that one, read the paperwork first :rtfm:  and don't assume everyone has the same values as you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

HI All 

Well i had some good new's about the damage done to the layout, i have settled with them and have got some compensation from them.

This will go towards the reaper work i have to do on the layout, but one thing is sure to never happen again and that is my layout will never go back there again.

Thank you all for your kind words of support over this matter.

Darren 

Although I think most of us would agree that it should never have happened in the first place, I'm glad that an acceptable solution was found and hope that this will spur you on to get the layout back together and we'll be able to see it elsewhere on the circuit in due course.

• RMweb Premium

Many Years ago the late Dougie Moorcroft of Taunton was on his way to the Plymouth show when he had his '0' gauge trainset spread all over the A38 by a driver trying to cut across to join the A380 and clobbered the trailer, the insurance settled in full, but it left the club scrabbling to fill the void. Thankfully no injuries but the nearly everything in the trailer was a right-off.

I'm glad to hear that your problem has been successfully sorted.

Archived