Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Layout Damaged at open day!

• RMweb Premium

Pete

Trouble is being statemented seems to either be a badge of honour or a licence to misbehave without suffering any consequences

I strongly disagree with this it is lumping together children who might have a statement for any disability with those who have emotional, social and behavioural difficulties. The vast majority of children who have ESBD would give everything they have to be 'normal' (their words not mine).

I think that because "most" of the Society we inhabit isnt as rough as it was in general in previous times is exactly why the occurences of general low-level anti-social behaviour have sky rocketed.....

There seems to be an unwillingness / incapability for society to police itself

Mickey

I sort of agree with you, we are told crime is decreasing and where pubs and clubs are concerned there is a lot less violence.

But with the layout in question you have a number of people who just failed to respect and take care of another persons property

Within my work on a daily occurrence I see parents from all social strata's just ignore what their children do, and leave them to do just what they want. That's not all parents and not all children. But is becoming more of a problem

On the golf course over the past 20 years you find again children's behaviour has declined. Firstly its a private course so technically they are trespassing. When I was their age and I can speak for my daughter, we would never go on private land. Secondly they just roam about not caring if they are either in the way or in danger. Thirdly there are those who just want to cause damage, have no respect for either others or their property.

This is what has happened here, adults and children having no respect for another's property, sadly all too common  

• RMweb Premium

Yes, the thread is wandering somewhat. Darren had the best of intentions when leaving Torrington unattended on the second day and to repay his trust, his layout was treated with zero respect. Organised model railway exhibitions pose some similarities but surely should be regarded as "safer", especially when the owner/operator is in constant attendance.

But Darren didn't leave it unattended, his 'friend' the organiser asked him to leave it there for the Sunday. By requesting the layout to stay, the organiser is implying that it'll will be looked after - in fact he said it WOULD be looked after. I'm sure, Darren wouldn't have considered it for one second, if he thought that his layout would be left unattended AT ANY TIME, while the public were in attendance - its just asking for trouble.

Whether or not the event was properly insured is irrelevant, Darren should be writing (along with photos of the damage) asking his 'friend' for a sum of money to cover parts/material at least. The organisers should cough up, whether or not the event made money is beside the point. They should learn something, i.e. not make commitments to 'look after' stuff, then don't.

If they don't pay up, then their reputation will be damaged, even if Darren doesn't make a fuss (I personally wouldn't push it too hard, unless serious damage occurred), because bad news does have a habit of getting around.

Ultimately, its Darren's choice as to what to do, but at least the organisers should be told officially what occurred, so at the very least, any future event will be better managed.

AmndrewC can only say this behaviour you are writing about in Tescos plainly and simply is just down to breeding and bad parenting.  No lady would use the C word anmd only a person who cannot call themselves a parent in front of children whom will pick up on it and carry it onto the next generation.

• RMweb Premium

I suppose it was my fault for taking out Höchstädt in a part scenicked state to a charity show, with the front of the layout being mainly Hydrofibre. But the kids were great with their chins on the layout, listening to the locos and fascinated when they "talked". The problem was with the elder generation, regarding Höchstädt as an opportunity to take the weight off their feet. A 15 stone man leaning on a layout with both arms is going to cause damage. When told to "depart", he wandered off, tried to do the same with Batcombe and knocked all the stock off the track.

I've now pretty well completed the scenery, but will it dissuade the dedicated leaner? Time will tell.

Bill

Some people are plain, inconsiderate pigs. Their mothers ought to have been slapped , instead of the baby!

• RMweb Premium

Reminds me of an Open Day at my own club where I'd taken my 009 layout (same one I took to Pulborough), set up on 2 x 6' tables, with about 4' clear space at one end. At lunchtime some of the "large scale" club members spied this extra space and sat round it to have lunch. Unfortunately one of the members was in the habit of thumping the table every time he spoke,and each time he did all my stock jumped off the track!

See post 108 for my thoughts on people like this!

• RMweb Gold

If I might stick my oar in, whilst I don't subscribe to the general theory that children are worse than they used to be, I does feel like there's a specific problem these days where every little obnoxious brat seems to be 'diagnosed' with hyperactivity, autism or something similar which is used as an excuse for poor behaviour. Most likely this is done by the parents after they've read stuff on some dubious pseudoscientific website, rather than by an actual Doctor, so the little horror probably doesn't actually have anything wrong with them and is just badly behaved.

You really should walk in my shoes for a few days  :scratchhead: If that genie should ever pop out of the lamp I would wish for boys that were not diagnosed with ADHD, epilepsy and statemented to a special school, but hey what do I know ......

Consider the flip side, that the parents of that brat may be doing EVERYTHING they can to overcome the hand they have been dealt.

AmndrewC can only say this behaviour you are writing about in Tescos plainly and simply is just down to breeding and bad parenting.  No lady would use the C word anmd only a person who cannot call themselves a parent in front of children whom will pick up on it and carry it onto the next generation.

You've mixed me up with another posting. I do agree with what you say though.

We seem to have wandered off into the ether a bit here. Wonder if we could stick to the OP's topic?

I couldn't agree more and do not wish to get anymore depressed than I already am. Please could we keep to the OP, many  thanks.

I suppose it was my fault for taking out Höchstädt in a part scenicked state to a charity show, with the front of the layout being mainly Hydrofibre. But the kids were great with their chins on the layout, listening to the locos and fascinated when they "talked". The problem was with the elder generation, regarding Höchstädt as an opportunity to take the weight off their feet. A 15 stone man leaning on a layout with both arms is going to cause damage. When told to "depart", he wandered off, tried to do the same with Batcombe and knocked all the stock off the track.

I've now pretty well completed the scenery, but will it dissuade the dedicated leaner? Time will tell.

Bill

One layout owner I know has rigged a simple barrier from wardrobe rail holders screwed to the front to the layout and rope run through them. Whilst not much of a physical deterent it does give out a "don't touch" message along the whole length of the layout.

This topic is all about risk management and taking the necessary steps to firstly to avoid and prevent problems and secondly to ensure that you are covered for adequate recompense in the event of another persons inappropriate actions.

That's why I won't consider invites for London Road to "general" exhibitions where suitable barriers aren't provided. Children see with a third eye at the end of a finger and usually like to take a very close look. Parents don't appreciate the effort and cost that has gone into a layout - it's just a train set - so aren't always willing to restrain their offspring.

I am also looking at ways of preventing people leaning on the fiddle yard surrounds (conveniently at folded arm height) by putting information displays there. Barriers don't have to be the usual ones, there are other ways of making viewers keep a reasonable distance and not feeling unhappy about it.

In Darren's case it seems that he didn't probably exercise sufficient due caution with the open day organisers, but then this is a hobby and aren't we all in it together?. However, their dismissive attitude deserve a suitably robust response, so I wish him well in getting some satisfaction,

Jol

Hi 

The trees will have to be replaced as they where snapped off at the tops and some where snapped at the base, The milk pump building will have to have some work done to it, replace step, legs and walk way, the roof of the signal box will have to be remade, the yard lamp is a goner and will have to make a new one.

Figures that have gone missing will have to be replaced with new one's, the car is gone and i don't know at the moment if i can get the same one again, will have to hunt round for one, the wiring will have to be redone as some of it was pulled out.

Having had a look again at the layout some smaller items have gone missing, oil drum out side the  loco shed  is missing, some barrels that where out side the good shed missing as well, two point leavers broken off /missing,  spear fencing will need a lot of it replaced as this had been smashed on the platform.

The open day was a Torrington station and i know the group do's not have any money to replace items that where damaged/missing, so i do not think there would be any chance of taking them to a small claim court over this, or getting any recompense.

One thing i am glad about is i change the MSE lattice post signal on the layout with an old Ratio rail built one for the open day!.

I have learnt a good lesson over this and next time they have an open day they will not have my layout there, their loss!.

Darren

After reading Darren's list of damages. It got me thinking. How much of our layout construction do we really document and to what level of detail. For example his signal box. Yes the roof needs to be replaced but what colour was it? Humbrol xxx, or a custom mix to get the right shade. Does it need to match the colour of another structure? Same for detail parts and vehicles. Spear fencing. Was it Ratio or etched by Scale Link or similar? Missing vehicle. Langley?

I try to keep a build log book as much as possible so that in the event of damage I know what custom mix of colour to use on a building so any patch painting doesn't stand out. I also keep track of some detail inventory. Thinking now, maybe I want to increase the level of depth of that log book. Most people keep a listing of locos and stock but what about the actual layout? Food for thought.

• RMweb Gold

yes

In that case they may have scored an impressive own-goal. Should you choose to contact the local paper with before and after pics of the layout, their credibility as a responsible organisation would be sunk without trace. See foot - shoot foot!

• RMweb Premium

In that case they may have scored an impressive own-goal. Should you choose to contact the local paper with before and after pics of the layout, their credibility as a responsible organisation would be sunk without trace. See foot - shoot foot!

Totally agree. However this group appear to be railway friendly so maybe we have all been 'too disgusted'? Perhaps they were just inexperienced and cack handed and a firm and assertive approach to the Chief bod may be a better option. Let's face it, education is the way forward and not punishment, for all but the very worst 'offender' and I am guilty of  forgetting that.

Worth having this discussion as it can modify one's thinking, well mine anyway. 

Good luck Darren.

Phil

Perhaps, if you "agree" with their stated aims, you could get the damage assessed and ask them for a "donation" to cover the costs of repairing/replacing. After all, if they are a bona fide organisation, they and you aren't going to want this in the local papers. However, you should not be out of pocket - it's a hobby for all of us.

Many years ago, when I was a lad, I lent some jazz LP's to a girlfriend. They got damaged - she couldn't afford to replace them, but she did 'compensate me'. I'm not sure if Darren would appreciate such compensation from the organiser... :stinker:

Archived