Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

I also lived a few miles from the Southminster branch, when I was young, and your photos are tons better than mine. I got one terrible shot of the Class 37 hauling the sand train, then went back to get a better picture, only to be told by the signalman at Fambridge that it didn't run any more. I have been told that I went to some kind of open day to mark the closure of the signal box at South Woodham Ferrers and removal of the passing loop, but I must have been very young, as I don't remember at all. Of all rural Essex stations, though, my favourite was Cressing. I don't suppose you have a photo of that, pre-wires?

• RMweb Gold

Did the Saab 96 have the V4 engine?

Yes, along with the steering column gear change and freewheel.  I always enjoyed changing gear without using the clutch once the car was moving.  When I stopped buying 96s (I had three of them at various times) I had to consciously remember to use the clutch when changing gear.

The tickover was always a bit lumpy, but otherwise for its time the engine gave reasonable acceleration.  The automatic choke could stick from time to time, usually when it was most inconvenient.

David

• Like 1

Marvelously bucolic photos of the GER branch, David.

The Althorne photos look not dissimilar to one of Chris Nevard's creations - Catcott Burtle!  

Is that a Gaugemaster backscene you've used on that photo (C1792)? 

As for Battlesbridge I imagine Iain Rice waxing lyrical about the modelability of the scene if you include the old milll, barges, the Barge Inn....

Here's a link to some old photos of the area for anyone interested. 

Battlesbridge was always one of those places we drove past on our way from Southend to Chelmsford. I rather wished we'd stopped and had more of a look now. 

Thanks for sharing the photos. Andy

• RMweb Gold

I also lived a few miles from the Southminster branch, when I was young, and your photos are tons better than mine. I got one terrible shot of the Class 37 hauling the sand train, then went back to get a better picture, only to be told by the signalman at Fambridge that it didn't run any more. I have been told that I went to some kind of open day to mark the closure of the signal box at South Woodham Ferrers and removal of the passing loop, but I must have been very young, as I don't remember at all. Of all rural Essex stations, though, my favourite was Cressing. I don't suppose you have a photo of that, pre-wires?

There are a couple of my photos of Cressing earlier in this thread in post 532 on this page :http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85326-dave-fs-photos-ongoing-more-added-1st-december/page-22

David

• RMweb Gold

Is that the prototype for the George Allan etched footbridge kit in C1790?

I'm not sure but it looks very like it.

Marvelously bucolic photos of the GER branch, David.

The Althorne photos look not dissimilar to one of Chris Nevard's creations - Catcott Burtle!  

Is that a Gaugemaster backscene you've used on that photo (C1792)? 

As for Battlesbridge I imagine Iain Rice waxing lyrical about the modelability of the scene if you include the old milll, barges, the Barge Inn....

Here's a link to some old photos of the area for anyone interested. 

Battlesbridge was always one of those places we drove past on our way from Southend to Chelmsford. I rather wished we'd stopped and had more of a look now. 

Thanks for sharing the photos. Andy

If my memory is right wasn't there a museum of old mechanical toys and slot machines at Battlesbridge at one time?  Like you I usually drove straight past Battlesbridge - there wasn't to much of interest there when I was in my twenties.

I can see the similarities to the Gaugemaster backscenes.  I know someone who has actually worked out the real locations of some of them.

Edit - the first (empty) quote box shouldn't be there - I'm not quite sure what I did to get that.

David

Edited by DaveF

I'm not sure but it looks very like it.

If my memory is right wasn't there a museum of old mechanical toys and slot machines at Battlesbridge at one time?  Like you I usually drove straight past Battlesbridge - there wasn't to much of interest there when I was in my twenties.

I can see the similarities to the Gaugemaster backscenes.  I know someone who has actually worked out the real locations of some of them.

Edit - the first (empty) quote box shouldn't be there - I'm not quite sure what I did to get that.

David

I think our "drive pasts" might have precluded any sense of what was there, to be honest, David. 

But, taking a look at this website, it seems there's plenty of reasons to visit nowadays. Including a motorcycle museum, various antiques dealers etc...

Battlesbridge was always a pinch point on the Chelmsford - Southend road - before they built the much needed bypass.

The slider photo of the actual bridge, shown on the above website, certainly brings back memories. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Tonights' photo's are excellent. I like that first one, for it shows Barton on Humber station buildings which look really modellable. C3465 of Lincoln Castle is a lovely shot of one of the ferries. They would, sometimes, at low tide, get stuck on a sandbank! Usual crossing time was 20 minutes. Many memories here.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

My one and only journey...to my shame, since I've lived within 20 miles of the ferry all my life, except for uni, was as an 11 year old on a primary school trip.

We arrived by bus, took the ferry to Hessle, and another bus picked us up for a visit to the Wilberforce museum in Hull and a day out at Flamborough Head.

Cost 5/-.

Another branch line this evening, this time on the Great Central at Barton on Humber and New Holland.

The normal chocolate coloured Humber water - other words are available to describe the  colour.  Not only is the Humber water full of mud it often has logs floating in it, they are are a considerable hazard when sailing in the area.  You could never relax when on a boat.  The navigable channel moves about a lot as well.

David

Surprised Boris hasn't picked up on those quotes :jester:

• RMweb Gold

A few diesel hydraulics for this evening taken at an assortment of locations.  One is a preserved example.

As you will probably have realised by now Dad and I didn't often get down to look at the ex GWR lines (or ex LSWR ones).

attachicon.gifb Royal Albert Bridge (Devon) Class 42 up goods Aug 60 J017.jpg

Royal Albert Bridge (Devon) Class 42 up goods Aug 60 J017

attachicon.gifa Taunton Silk Mill crossing Class 22 D6330 down goods Aug 66 J578.jpg

Taunton Silk Mill crossing Class 22 D6330 down goods Aug 66 J578

attachicon.gifb Pirbright Junction Class 42 832 Onslaught down freight Hither Green to Severn Tunnel Sat 17th April 71 J2596.jpg

Pirbright Junction Class 42 832 Onslaught down freight Hither Green to Severn Tunnel Sat 17th April 71 J2596

attachicon.gifc Kensington Olympia Class 52 1030 Wetserm Musketeer McAlpineFSE special to Shrewsbury April 74 J3620.jpg

Kensington Olympia Class 52 1030 Wetserm Musketeer McAlpineFSE special to Shrewsbury April 74 J3620

attachicon.gifd Didcot GWS Preserved Class 35 D7018 May 79 C4529.jpg

Didcot GWS Preserved Class 35 D7018 May 79 C4529

David

Thanks for the warning David.

Now where's my tablet.

Mike.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I found these two pictures taken with my Brownie about the same time as the Warship on the Royal Albert Bridge.   They are about the usual quality for Brownie 127 photos.

The second looks the other way, not seen too often.

post-5613-0-18732800-1417636930_thumb.jpg

Royal Albert Bridge Aug 60, or it could be in 1961.  Thanks to Paul (PD&SWJR) for pointing out the infrastructure changes between the 2 photos at this location.

One day I'll remember to look properly at the photos before posting them.

post-5613-0-50565600-1417636890_thumb.jpg

View east Royal Albert Bridge 1960

I think my later photos may be a bit better!  It's why you normally only see Dad's for most of the early 1960s

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's tonight. The first photo' J017, of a Warship class 42, at the Royal Albert bridge, August, 1960, is  a great shot - am in complete agreement with Oldddudders about this one, I really do like it. Interesting to see those two Brownie 127 photo's - I don't think that I've seen a photo' looking the other way before. They've come out very well I think.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

In  C3468 of the 114 at new Holland pier, is the train in the normal stopping position or is it still moving towards the camera? I ask as the gates are either closed or in the process of being closed, and that would be very sharp to get them like that if the train was still on the move.

Yet more cracking shots BTW.

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

In  C3468 of the 114 at new Holland pier, is the train in the normal stopping position or is it still moving towards the camera? I ask as the gates are either closed or in the process of being closed, and that would be very sharp to get them like that if the train was still on the move.

Yet more cracking shots BTW.

Andy G

The train is stationary in its normal stopping position by the white line painted across the platform.

I only know as I was spending a week using an an East Midlands Ranger ticket and had arranged with the driver to give me time at each station to get out and take a photo.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

Chuckling at you lads who "suffered" by having some sort of camera.

I had my first when I was 21.

Before that, it was borrow my dad's Kodak Retinette 1b IF he would lend it me. He once did lend it, I took it to Crewe works, Crewe south and about five other sheds in steam days (1966), ran off a whole 36 exposure slide film...which he contrived to lose, rather than pay for it to be developed/processed.

• Like 1

I found these two pictures taken with my Brownie about the same time as the Warship on the Royal Albert Bridge.   They are about the usual quality for Brownie 127 photos.

The second looks the other way, not seen too often.

attachicon.gifRoyal Albert Bridge Aug 60.JPG

Royal Albert Bridge Aug 60

attachicon.gifView east Royal Albert Bridge 1960.jpg

View east Royal Albert Bridge 1960

I think my later photos may be a bit better!  It's why you normally only see Dad's for most of the early 1960s

David

Thanks for the memory! The second shot has a row of houses on the skyline where I used to live. However our house is obscured by  the steam. I was more used to the distant reciprocal view of the two lines WR and SR from our house. 

David

Does anyone know when the single line was extended from the point shown in these shots to its current length? Did this involve the removal of a span over the LSWR mainline and was this the primary reason for doing it?

ROB

PS Great pics, as always!