Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

1S42 is the 16:00 KX-Edinburgh, however the May 71 date is wrong as air-conditioned stock wasn't introduced on this train at this time. I would think May 72 would be a better bet.

1H02 is the 12:40SO KX-Hull (with the extra TSO at the head)

1A32 is the 17:00 Newc-KX

1L34 is the 17:30 KX-Leeds/Bradford/Halifax

Edited by mark54

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Certainly not bored by the outstanding photo's on this thread, and have enjoyed seeing the photo's, firstly, of the K&WVR, then of the ECML at Swayfield. The last two photo's at Swayfield are particularly good with class 55's in full flight at the head of express passenger trains. Always great to see 55's in action doing what they were designed for.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

1S42 is the 16:00 KX-Edinburgh, however the May 71 is wrong as air-conditioned stock was only introduced on this train at this time. I would think May 72 would be a better bet.

1H02 is the 12:40SO KX-Hull (with the extra TSO at the head)

1A32 is the 17:00 Newc-KX

1L34 is the KX-Leeds/Bradford/Halifax

Mark54,

Many thanks for the information which I am adding to the captions.

You are right about 1S42, I had typed the wrong year - my slide catalogue clearly states 1972.  Goodness knows why I typed 1971.

David

• RMweb Premium

Not bored at all Dave, quite happy to see more of the same if you have them!  I've got quite a few taken at a similar time by my late father several miles further south (near Sandy), but they're transparencies which I don't have any means of scanning.  So, very happy to see yours!

Hello David,

Not really into views of preserved lines, but I do think you photo #J1342 is a cracker. The new block of flats rising from behind the stone buildings really lifts the picture. And the Saab parked up on the road provides a neat counterpoint.

Can't have too many pictures of Swayfield. It was a lovely spot to watch trains go by - haven't been back since electrification. 

• RMweb Gold

Hello David,

Not really into views of preserved lines, but I do think you photo #J1342 is a cracker. The new block of flats rising from behind the stone buildings really lifts the picture. And the Saab parked up on the road provides a neat counterpoint.

Can't have too many pictures of Swayfield. It was a lovely spot to watch trains go by - haven't been back since electrification. 

Peter,

I think I've been there once or twice since electrification when I've been visiting relatives.  The view is not as good.  I suspect if I went there often enough I'd find a new acceptable view.

The photo you mention is one of Dad's, it was one of his favourites.  A few years later he bought a Saab (as did I), it appears in some of his and my photos (but they are not on here yet).

David

Edited by DaveF

What impresses me with David's shots is the composition. Anyone who has looked at my few diesel photos will see that I tended to concentrate on shed and station scenes...for one simple reason, the loco/train wasn't moving.

I had a few tries at full trains, freights nearby were reasonable, but expresses? I usually ended up with it too far away, or either cutting the nose off (bad) or with the front of the loco blurred, (somehow, worse). Disappointing after a day trying.

This was back in film days, and was with a decent camera, a Canon T90, and Canon decent lenses, one of which was an F1.4 50mm.

So any photos like the ones above are, to me, VERY impressive.

• RMweb Gold

What impresses me with David's shots is the composition. Anyone who has looked at my few diesel photos will see that I tended to concentrate on shed and station scenes...for one simple reason, the loco/train wasn't moving.

I had a few tries at full trains, freights nearby were reasonable, but expresses? I usually ended up with it too far away, or either cutting the nose off (bad) or with the front of the loco blurred, (somehow, worse). Disappointing after a day trying.

This was back in film days, and was with a decent camera, a Canon T90, and Canon decent lenses, one of which was an F1.4 50mm.

So any photos like the ones above are, to me, VERY impressive.

Jeff, 

Thank you very much for the kind comment about the photos, it is very much appreciated.

The photos are a mix of mine and Dad's, he always was a good photographer.  Most of his earlier photos were of quite slowly moving trains, taken near where he lived at the time.  

When he was able to afford to run a car and take photos he started to take Mum and I out into the country most weekends, so his photography developed into mainly taking photos of trains in the landscape.  I know that at first there were a significant number of failures for the reasons you describe - there were significant gaps in the numbers of his early slides I scanned compared to his notes on his photos. 

When I started taking photos I went out with him as I was still home (in fact at school) and soon learnt when to press the shutter - though even now, over fifty years later I can still get it wrong.   At least with a digital camera it costs almost nothing.

I usually work out where the train will have to be for the photo (I count sleepers and pre focus) and then press the shutter a tiny fraction of a second earlier - that's the "learning by experience" bit.   Of course in the "olden" days of manual focus (and exposure) you had to set up the shot before the train got there, as you well know.  Usually I only used shutter speeds of 1/500 sec or faster.  Nowadays I usually go for at least 1/1000 sec.

When I first moved to a digital camera I had to relearn a lot because of the shutter lag. That was before digital SLRs were available.

I've just changed my "old" Nikon D80 for a new Nikon D7200 and am having to adjust to it as it takes photos slightly more quickly, so I have to press the shutter fractionally later.

David.

• RMweb Gold

Is that a turnout heater I see in C1940/1? The Royal Aircraft Establishment wind tunnels over on the horizon.

P

It looks very like one.

David

One of the tricks for speed with DSLR’s(in fact all digital cameras)  is (and I took too long to learn this...) Use the “regular” viewfinder and on no account have the photo appear on the screen right after the shot! You choose when you want to look at them......

I’m not trying to teach Granny how to suck eggs;  there might be some people still new to this lark.

Thanks, David.

Best, Pete.

C1945 - thought 1975 was a bit early for catenary on the MML, and then realised it was telegraph poles!

As for learning to take photos, in the early days, I used to get frustrated by not being able to fill the frame with the train, always leaving space around them. I later realised it was because my glasses made my eye stand back from the viewfinder, making it look like the viewfinder was full when it wasn't. Of course now I'm glad of that, as the background stuff accidentally included is often of as much interest as the loco/train.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photo's here of the Midland Main Line in 1975. It is always good to see the 45's doing what they were designed for. Happy days.

All the best,

Market65.

• Like 1

1P21 is the 16:05 StP-Derby

1E72 is the 16:20 StP-Sheffield

1C65 is the 16:03 Nottingham-StP

Logically C1943 should be the 16:25 StP-Nottingham although the formation doesn't match

C1944 is the 16:50 StP-Nottingham

• RMweb Gold

1P21 is the 16:05 StP-Derby

1E72 is the 16:20 StP-Sheffield

1C65 is the 16:03 Nottingham-StP

Logically C1943 should be the 16:25 StP-Nottingham although the formation doesn't match

C1944 is the 16:50 StP-Nottingham

Thanks again for the information which I've added to the captions.

David

• RMweb Premium

Hi Porcy

I think you are right, they are the Clapham wind tunnels.

The big one now being used by Adrian Newey and the team at RBR.

P

Do you mean Cardington Airship Sheds?

• RMweb Premium

Do you mean Cardington Airship Sheds?

Hi Steve

The Cardington sheds are to the south of Bedford, they stand out like sore thumb as you travel northwards Bedford once you are out Ampthill Tunnel. The Clapham wind tunnels are to the north.

My dad worked at Thurleigh in the late 50s and early 60s, having moved from Franborough just before I was born.  Thurleigh should have been London's third airport back in the 70s, it had the best runways in England at the time, closest of the proposed sites to a rail link to London. I can recall one of the problems with the rail link, was that St Pancras was not suitable as London's international terminus.

We use to see all sorts of aircraft flying over our school on their way or to Thurleigh. When BOAC took delivery of its first 747 Jumbos they were tested at Thurleigh, at the same time one of the Concord prototypes was flying to Thurleigh on a regular basis. Watching a Jumbo and Concord flying around together as a school boy really did seem that the future was bright. 

• Like 5