Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Ha ha, DD trying to look suave & sophisticated in C7509.

And as soon as I saw the pic I thought - 'that's got to be DD'

Hasn't changed much has he. LOL.

Dave Franks

He's gonna kill waz now man.

• RMweb Gold

Ha ha, DD trying to look suave & sophisticated in C7509.

The late CJW once told me how worried he was when he first had the idea of organising those DMU tours. His main concern was that he would have to pay for the DMU charter out of his own pocket due to lack of interest. His concerns turned to embarrassment when so many tickets were being sold, he had to keep ringing  BR to add another,  then another and yet another two car set.

Sadly missed,

P

And as soon as I saw the pic I thought - 'that's got to be DD'

Hasn't changed much has he. LOL.

Dave Franks

He's gonna kill waz now man.

I've known DD for many years, I recently gave him copies of a number of photos in which he features.  A long time ago we were both members of the Blyth 61172 Association, building layouts with Ernie Brack (Irish Swiss Ernie on here) and others for the local exhibition circuit.

CJW's dmu charters were always very enjoyable, I can't remember exactly how many he ran.  I remember going the one around Darlington and up the Weardale line, the one round interesting bits from Newcastle north and south of the Tyne and the one on the Blyth and Tyne.

I have quite a lot of photos of all three, some have already appeared here, others will in due course.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Love the photo's of the ex-British Steel lines where the High Dyke branch ends.  The Crewe Cab is most remarkable - this is the first time I've seen it as far as I can recall.

There are some really good shots of Pilmoor. I especially like J1063, of class 40, D278, in August,1967. The first two coaches are, as stated in post 3899, Hawksworth coaches, BCK and SK respectively. Then, after enlarging the photo', the next two coaches are of  ex-LMS Stanier design, SK and CK. Then follow the BR Mk1's. Also I love the weathering on the 40.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

J885 - TTGFYE suits Deltics best of all IMHO

Then D278 plus Swindon coaches is a fantastic record - theres blue greys further back in the train, what a great formation!

Phil

DD is well aware of this pic...Porcy winds him up with it every few months...and yes he still has and wears the leather bomber jacket!  Is it me or does he look a wee bit like the   Fonz?

Edited by Axlebox
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Is that a shunter's pole wedged on the front of the diesel brake tender being propelled by the EE type 3?

Cracking pictures as ever.

It certainly looks like a shunter's pole.

David

• RMweb Gold

Just the classic time for BR diesels Dave that you have captured so well, 1967-1969. Just before I started spotting.

BR blue mixed with green full yellow and maroon coaching stock, plus a diesel brake tender thrown in for good measure too.

I make a beeline for this thread every day.

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Love J885 for the mix of stock behind the green deltic.

Blue/grey and maroon mixed, possibly a full kitchen car, name boards in use yet most visible stock on commonwealth bogies and a new mk2 FK to boot!

A real mish-mash of the old and new, with 1965's 'corporate image' still struggling to break through, even on ECML expresses.

Re: the brake tenders, instructions always seemed to say they must'nt be propelled - but there are plenty of photos proving otherwise.

Edit: is J0921 the uddingston-cliffe empties?

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Gold

A few recent ones.

On Saturday afternoon I went to Ulgham Lane Crossing, on the ECML north of Morpeth, for an hour or so.  Butterwell Junction is just north of the crossing.

I think I saw 4 cars while I was there, so the road was quite busy.

post-5613-0-99918700-1438608250_thumb.jpg

ASC_0279 Butterwell Junction 91 down 1st Aug 15

post-5613-0-18117600-1438608256_thumb.jpg

ASC_0280 Butterwell Junction  down 1st Aug 15

post-5613-0-31345500-1438608262_thumb.jpg

ASC_0286 Ulgham Lane 221 up 1st Aug 15

post-5613-0-46806000-1438608267_thumb.jpg

ASC_0292 Butterwell Junction 91 up 1st Aug 15

post-5613-0-51484400-1438608271_thumb.jpg

ASC_0293 Ulgham Lane Crossing 91103 up 1st Aug 15

post-5613-0-33899800-1438608276_thumb.jpg

ASC_0297 Butterwell Junction 91 down 1st Aug 15

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some good photo's from Saturday of the ECML, with the trains shown going about their work in a quiet and unassuming way. The line to Kyle Of Lochalsh is, of course, a classic, and it is good to see the photo's which you have posted.  I especially like C2967 of Garve on 14th, August, 1976. It looks so modelable - a real gem of a location.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Re - Pilmoor Class 55 D9012 Crepello Aberdeen to Kings X May 67 J885

Great photo with plenty of interest - a maroon Mk2 FK 4th vehicle, and a number of destination boards in use - though maroon boards on blue and grey stock looks a little odd. 

I think 1A31 was the 12:00 Edinburgh - KX, with only the rear two coaches originating from Aberdeen. There were no complete daytime services direct from Aberdeen in 1967, just portions added to the Edinburgh trains (usually a BCK and an SK). The following year a direct daytime service from Aberdeen was introduced for the first time.

For those interested the full consist should be Deltic+BSK+SK+CK+FK+RUO+RU+2TSO+2SK+BSK+SK+BCK.

105 on the ECML was quite rare though not unknown. As a Cambridge resident, but with many ECML visits under my belt, I always thought it a privelige to get a dmu on the section north of Hitchin, though as time went on they became more commonplace.

Stewart

Good example of differing shades of WP yellow in C1776

I've never fully understood some modellers being almost obsessive about using correct colour. I not sure if such a thing existed apart from in specification charts and colour chip books.

P

• Like 2