Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

The shunter at Middlesborough looks like a Ruston?

I think that too.

I don't have an IRS handbook for that period so I can't confirm it but I think there was one there in 1979.  I think it was then Ribblesdale Cement, I'm assuming the location was the same.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great photo's of Teesside. The first is especially good with 37885, 37503, 37512 and 47224.

If I may I would like to comment on AndyD's post, number 4074, from yesterday about the mixed class 101/110 DMU, for, although somewhat unusual, there were other examples, including some that were in use on the Hull to York service in November, 1965.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

I think that too.

I don't have an IRS handbook for that period so I can't confirm it but I think there was one there in 1979.  I think it was then Ribblesdale Cement, I'm assuming the location was the same.

David

Just catching up with the thread and time-consuming it was, but in a very enjoyable way.

Officially by then, it would be Castle Cement (Ribblesdale) Ltd. Nowadays, it's Hanson Cement Ribblesdale.

Used to be a thrice weekly train from Clitheroe, alternating with trips to Newcastle, powered by whatever Gateshead or Thornaby could spare. Usually a 40, but a 45/46 or pair of 31's wasn't uncommon. 47's weren't favoured traction as the load was marginally too heavy for them between Clitheroe and Hellifield. They were only used when conditions were dry.

The Midds/Newc services were replaced by trip workings on the back of a Clitheroe-Coatbridge service via Carlisle and in the hands of 37370/37373/37379 for about three years!

When the rail service ceased, cement to Middlesbrough was roaded via the A59

Rail-borne cement from Clitheroe ceased for a time in the mid 1990's to the early 2000's, but we're back up to (usually) three trainloads each week to Avonmouth and Mossend on alternate days. There are more tanks on order to increase the service to Avonmouth.

Cheers,

Mick

Swayfield on the ECML south of Stoke Tunnel again this evening.

attachicon.gifSwayfield Class 31 up light engine Jan 70 C195.jpg

Swayfield Class 31 up light engine Jan 70 C195

attachicon.gifSwayfield Class 47 Edinburgh to Kings X Sept 71 C712.jpg

Swayfield Class 47 Edinburgh to Kings X Sept 71 C712

Daviid

Two stretcher CK's and catch points in the down fast. Nice pictures

Swayfield on the ECML south of Stoke Tunnel again this evening.

attachicon.gifSwayfield Class 55 probably 9020 Nimbus Kings X to Harrogate Yorkshire Pullman May 72 C966.jpg

Swayfield Class 55 probably 9020 Nimbus may be hauling the Kings X to Harrogate Yorkshire Pullman May 72 C966 - if it was running to time.

David

And mention must be made of that distant signal. 1900 yards from Corby Glen box. That must have been quite a pull. The down fast distant was at 3386 yards from the box but was a two aspect colourlight. The run back catch points were only in the down fast. The down goods had none.

Edited by LNERGE

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A truly excellent set of photo's of the ECML at Swayfield this evening. The last one, C3880 on May, 30th, 1978, has at least eight Mk1 GUV's in the portion  of the train in the photo'.

All the best,

Market65.

And mention must be made of that distant signal. 1900 yards from Corby Glen box. That must have been quite a pull. The down fast distant was at 3386 yards from the box but was a two aspect colourlight. The run back catch points were only in the down fast. The down goods had none.

1900 yds! :scared: Jeez, I thought Agecroft's splitting distants at 1586yds were a long pull...

JF

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The distant was most likely one of those involving a part pull on the lever, wind up the hurdy gurdy to generate current which switches the motor in for the final pull assisted by power.

Kevin

The distant was most likely one of those involving a part pull on the lever, wind up the hurdy gurdy to generate current which switches the motor in for the final pull assisted by power.

Kevin

I think a thumping great back weight and a big heave is more likely.

• RMweb Gold

1A27 is the 13:15 Newcastle-KX (Saturday train as it is Mk1 stock)

1L33 is the 16:05 KX-Harrogate (Saturday Yorkshire Pullman with 2 Pullman cars)

From the formation, 40147 looks to be 1A37 09:28 SO Bridlington-KX

Many thanks Mark, I've amended the captions.

David

as a signaller i do like the old box diagrams, especially the ones from the area that i now cover, everton, tempsford and corby glenn. thanks.

I'm 'based' in Peterborough but rarely there. I have at least one copy of most ECML box diagrams KX to Grantham. There are a few gaps but not many.

Corby.... What do you make of 54/55?

attachicon.gifCorby Glen.JPG

51 signal at Hertford North holds the record pull for me..

attachicon.gifHertford North(later).JPG

Mad! Is that an FPL on a set of trap points at 54/55? Bet those signalmen had shoulders like rugby props. I know it was all about the swing rather than strength but it still required a bit of heft. I wonder how many times a shift they'd have to swing on those? I probably pulled agecrofts up distants about 45-50 times a shift on earlies and lates.

JF

Edited by Jon Fitness
  • Like 1

Mad! Is that an FPL on a set of trap points at 54/55? Bet those signalmen had shoulders like rugby props. I know it was all about the swing rather than strength but it still required a bit of heft. I wonder how many times a shift they'd have to swing on those? I probably pulled agecrofts up distants about 45-50 times a shift on earlies and lates.

JF

The FPL is drawn the trailing side of the switch.

I've had a bit of time to study the diagram and Dave's excellent photos. The catch point in the photos is shown on the box diagram. I've measured the distances shown on the diagram using Google Earth and everything works out exactly.