Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Interesting boxes on the freightliner (J1820). I'd assumed that the containers were all BR/Freightliner owned/liveried at that time. Also looks like a low flat box on the last flat - almost looks like a ballast weight for the end of the train from here :-)

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Dave. A great set of photo's of the WCML. Interesting to see that all of the class 86 loco's have white cab roofs, and the train in that last photo' certainly has a surfeit of first class accommodation at the London end of the train.

All the best,

Market65.

The roof domes of the 86s were actually rail grey - the cab window surrounds were white before succumbing to the full yellow ends.

This came up a while back, there were colour pics on Flickr of new/clean 86s which showed the difference between the windows and roofs, possibly by BarkingBill?

• RMweb Gold

The roof domes of the 86s were actually rail grey - the cab window surrounds were white before succumbing to the full yellow ends.

This came up a while back, there were colour pics on Flickr of new/clean 86s which showed the difference between the windows and roofs, possibly by BarkingBill?

I'm not convinced that the cab roofs were always grey from new.  The locos were delivered from 1965 when it was only just being decided to use Rail blue and grey. It is very difficult to tell from colour photos on flickr (or elsewhere) as very often the roofs are overexposed, so you cannot tell whether they are grey or white.

However there are a number of mine and Dad's photos of 86s in this thread and on flickr, a number taken from overbridges.  Some are clearly grey, but others which are not over exposed, look white, certainly in comparison to the grey dirt on parts of the roof

To be honest I doubt we'll ever know for sure.  However almost all the references I can find, both in print and on the web suggest white as the roof colour, when first built.

Incidentally the original colour of the locos seems open to debate, some sources state rail blue, others electric blue.  Most of the photos I have are clearly rail blue, but in one or two early ones the loco looks considerably paler than blue grey coaches

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A few from around Waterloo and Clapham Junction for today.

Most of my photo's (and Dad's) were taken whatever the weather if we happened to be near a railway - so some do look a bit drab.

I always found that no matter how dismal the weather is a trip to watch and photograph trains always lifts my spirits.  It was even more noticeable when I was still working when taking photos was a good antidote to the trials and tribulations of the job, so I took (and still take) photos in almost any type of weather.

I think that's why yours (and your Dad's) photos are so good - they show the railway as it was (and is) normally and not pristine and bathed in sunshine all the time.

Edited by grandadbob

• RMweb Premium

I'm not convinced that the cab roofs were always grey from new. The locos were delivered from 1965 when it was only just being decided to use Rail blue and grey. It is very difficult to tell from colour photos on flickr (or elsewhere) as very often the roofs are overexposed, so you cannot tell whether they are grey or white.

In British Rail Fleet Survey 6 - Electric Locomotives (Haresnape), it states the cab roof was "a pale mushroom/grey colour, made of fibreglass, very close in shade to the painted window surrounds".

I wonder if they were unpainted and the colour was in fact the gelcoat of the fibreglass?

• RMweb Gold

I always found that no matter how dismal the weather is a trip to watch and photograph trains always lifts my spirits.  It was even more noticeable when I was still working when taking photos was a good antidote to the trials and tribulations of the job, so I took (and still take) photos in almost any type of weather.

Same here -  I was out for a short time around dinner today and it was horrendous weather - but it was a 66 to "my" sidings so too good to resist. Lots of people do the "trains are more fun in the sun" shots, few of us record the all weather workings.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Like the photo's of Clapham Junction and Waterloo. I see that in photo' C5369, of class 416 5781 in May 1981, that from the size of the guards van that we are seeing one of the former NER units that was converted for use on the SR after abandonment of the Tyneside electric services in the mid '60's.

All the best,

Market65.

attachicon.gifa Shenfield 254024 special York to Stratford via Ipswich 7th April 79 C4416.jpg

Shenfield 254024 special York to Stratford via Ipswich 7th April 79 C4416

David

I was on that HST! A much younger GG back then.....

What a superb thread David, thank you for sharing your photos with us. I have just spent the past couple of days looking through this excellent thread.

Being a GE boy, I have especially enjoyed the photos taken on the GEML. Great to see photos of 309s again, shame that they are not still working today, it would be nice to have one of those on my commute home!

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

Slight slipof the finger on this one.

Hett Mill 60024 down empty lime Redcar to Hardendale 23rd March 96 C20824

The loco has 020 on the front.

Thanks very much Phil.   I thought it was about time I got a loco number wrong again!

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photo's of the ECML. In C21011 at Sunderland Bridge, 31st,May,1996, I like the exhaust eminating from 47358 which is clearly accelerating it's train away  - signals - P Way slack?

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photo's of the ECML. In C21011 at Sunderland Bridge, 31st,May,1996, I like the exhaust eminating from 47358 which is clearly accelerating it's train away  - signals - P Way slack?

All the best,

Market65.

It was already moving quite fast but I've never known trains on the ECML hang about.

Some photos of the ECML taken between Darlington and Durham this evening.  It's a part of the country we haven't visited much so far.  Most of the photos are quite recent - only 18 to 20 years old

attachicon.gifa Hett Mill 60024 down empty lime Redcar to Hardendale 23rd March 96 C20824.jpg

Hett Mill 60020 down empty lime Redcar to Hardendale 23rd March 96 C20824

attachicon.gifb Sunderland Bridge 60021 empty lime redcar to Hardendale 30th May 95_C20207.jpg

Sunderland Bridge 60021 empty lime redcar to Hardendale 30th May 95 C20207

Lovely David, Metals Sector 60s......my favourite!

• RMweb Gold

Dave

I always enjoy ALL of your pictures but find myself frustrated that I can only press the "like" button once for pictures like those of the S&C and similar. Certainly 5 star rating from me.

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to post all of your pics.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Love the S&C photo's. Great scenery and J718 at Settle with an 8F on a down mineral train is a classic steam era railway image with plenty of smoke, steam, and the 8F clearly working hard.

All the best,

Market65.