Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

The loco in J137 is a Class 11 LMS 350 shunter. The handrails on the cab have handrail knobs where a BR 350 has handrails that the ends curve so they fit to the cab side. No vacuum exhauster on the left hand running plate is also another clue. No water filler pipes on the radiator front. Pity the lamp post is in the way of the front of the cab, the LMS locos had a squared off bottom to the front windows where the BR locos have an angled bottom edge.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold

The loco in J137 is a Class 11 LMS 350 shunter. The handrails on the cab have handrail knobs where a BR 350 has handrails that the ends curve so they fit to the cab side. No vacuum exhauster on the left hand running plate is also another clue. No water filler pipes on the radiator front. Pity the lamp post is in the way of the front of the cab, the LMS locos had a squared off bottom to the front windows where the BR locos have an angled bottom edge.

Clive,

Thanks very much for the information.

David

Unlike one of the class 20s in C2509 - If you hadn't said the date I would have wondered if it was in grey.

I love J450. So atmospheric.

Jonathan

They were often paired one blue and one green at this time.

David

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Clive - it was the lack of rad fillers that made me query it

Phil

• RMweb Gold

I can't think of a Woodwalton up here in Northumberland.

Northumberlandia is just outside Cramlington, about 11 miles north of Newcastle.   

David

I'm just hoping there's no giant maggots as in that old Doctor Who adventure called The Green Death from 1973!!!

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Well, after the giant woman, a great set of photo's of the Midland Erewash Valley line. I like them all, and there are some very atmospheric shots, which also show how much things have, inevitably,  changed over the years.

With regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Pedant alert.

J450 is at Stapleford and Sandiacre, that´s the remnants of the station building on the road, which still acesses Toton shed.

Mike.

Thanks Mike,

Once again I just copied from dad's notes, assuming a group of photos were all taken at the same place - and as I knew the area quite well I ought to have noticed.

I've now put it back to Stanton Gate following further information.

D

David

Edited by DaveF

Pedant alert.

J450 is at Stapleford and Sandiacre, that´s the remnants of the station building on the road, which still acesses Toton shed.

Mike.

Sorry Mike, but David was correct first time.

This is STANTON GATE station for sure. The metal overbridge, surroundings and trackwork all confirm that.

Stapleford & Sandiacre station was situated on a stone overbridge. The station building was different too.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Mike, but David was correct first time.

This is STANTON GATE station for sure. The metal overbridge, surroundings and trackwork all confirm that.

Stapleford & Sandiacre station was situated on a stone overbridge. The station building was different too.

Thanks,

I'll alter it again, I couldn't remember which station was which.

David

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike,

Once again I just copied from dad's notes, assuming a group of photos were all taken at the same place - and as I knew the area quite well I ought to have noticed.

I've now put it back to Stanton Gate following further information.

D

David

Apologies for the confusion, in my defence I´m doing this from 1500 away miles from my pics, and S&S station building was on a girder span.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, dave. Love the Barnetby photo's. The station was looking rather desolate and weedstrewn. I have not been to see it recently, so I wonder what it is like these days.

With best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Apologies for the confusion, in my defence I´m doing this from 1500 away miles from my pics, and S&S station building was on a girder span.

Mike.

Mike,

I have the problem of remembering which place is which all the time - even close to where I now live.

I also know that some of both Dad's and my notes are wrong and have problems at times getting the places right when I am writing captions - at least they are not in printed books where you cannot make corrections..

Please do keep on pointing out my errors - I don't mind correcting things more than once if I need to.

David 

• RMweb Gold

C8482: is that a gas heater on a trap point?    I love the glorious chaos of J4444.

Bill

It certainly looks like it.

I took it from the cab of the 101 on a railtour while we were stationery and taking it in turns to take photos.

David

Edited by DaveF