RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Four photos from the Leeds to Harrogate line today,taken between 1965 and 1967.   Also one from Garforth, west of Leeds.  Once again some of them are from half frame slides.

David

I'm sure that you really meant to state that Garforth is east of Leeds.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Good to see those photos you have posted this evening of Lincoln. I particularly like the one of the wagon being tipped so that the coal is emptied out of it. Always so fascinating to see how things are done.

At Beverley, it was NER coal cells, and so wagons did not need tipping in that way.

Warm regards,

Rob.

Photos in and around Lincoln for this evening.  The coal photo has not appeared before, it is a slightly different view.

I find it hard to believe that it is now well over 40 years since I worked near Lincoln (I moved to Essex in 1974) and used to go shopping there during my lunch hour.  I sometimes used to buy a fresh dressed crab from the fish monger who had a barge on the Witham.  The model shops were useful too in those days.

attachicon.gifc Lincoln St Marks 47263 down oil 13th Aug 77 C3499.jpg

Lincoln St Marks 47263 down oil 13th Aug 77 C3499

attachicon.gifc Lincoln St Marks 47414 Kings X to Cleethorpes 13th Aug 77 C3497.jpg

Lincoln St Marks 47414 Kings X to Cleethorpes 13th Aug 77 C3497

attachicon.gifc Lincoln St Marks view west 13th Aug 77 C3502.jpg

Lincoln St Marks view west 13th Aug 77 C3502

attachicon.giff Lincoln goods coal handling plant April 69 J1579.jpg

Lincoln goods coal handling plant April 69 J1579

attachicon.gifh Torksey Torksey Class 47 D1505 shunting oil tanks into sidings April 69 J1586.jpg

Torksey Class 47 D1505 shunting oil tanks into sidings April 69 J1586

David

I've always loved that photo of Torksey - full of interesting details & it was also where my Dad worked at the time :-)

Lincoln's much changed now (sadly...) - St. Mark's has been a shopping centre for many years now (my first job as an archaeologist was excavating between the platforms adjacent to High Street in 1987 & we were back there in 1995 in advance of construction finally starting), and the coal depot site is currently being buried beneath a new road linking Tentercroft Street and Canwick Road/Pelham Bridge.

I well remember the 'fish' boat on the Witham - I can't recall exactly what happened to it, but something tells me that it actually sunk...

post-6843-0-89515800-1447522370.jpg

Kevin

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifGarforth Class 101 Selby to Leeds City May 67 J0895.jpg

Garforth Class 101 Selby to Leeds City May 67 J0895

Nice to see a picture of Garforth.

Had I been in my bedroom, a minute or so after it left the station, I would have been able to see that train from my window, albeit from 3/4 of a mile away.

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

As always, I really liked your pictures of Lincoln but found your picture of Torksey really fascinating as I currently live quite close to the remains of that installation. Any chance of more pictures taken on that day please?

Also wonder if you have any pictures of Stow Park station site (on the Lincoln to Gainsborough GNR Joint line), and which was quite close to Torksey, to look forward to? There used to be an MoD depot hidden away just south of the station on the west side and I always hope someone may be able to produce some photos. Not sure when it closed.

Stow Park crossing lost it's crossing gates and signal box in the last year or so when the line was upgraded with new auto barriers and signalling. Obviously more "efficient" now but just not the same without the "bobby" winding the wheel to shut the gates.

Stow Park crossing lost it's crossing gates and signal box in the last year or so when the line was upgraded with new auto barriers and signalling. Obviously more "efficient" now but just not the same without the "bobby" winding the wheel to shut the gates.

This reminds me of my younger brother (when we were much younger than now) when seeing similar on a crossing on the west Coastway route. When asked what he was doing he replied 'looking for the wheels - he's turning that steering wheel but not going anywhere'...

Edited by talisman56
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Poor old J21 I remember it being a runner in the 70s then it turned up a Sheringham was stripped down, dumped in the car park for a while and last time I saw it a few years ago was in the same condition at shildon

Poor old J21 I remember it being a runner in the 70s then it turned up a Sheringham was stripped down, dumped in the car park for a while and last time I saw it a few years ago was in the same condition at shildon

They gave the J21 a bit of a spruce up in 2011 for the 'Stainmore 150' celebrations at Kirkby Stephen East, but it'd be nice to see it receive the attention it deserves.

post-6843-0-65100500-1447609277_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great to see Beamish near the start of it's existence. But sad to know that the J21 has been left to rot away!

Like the photo's of Carlisle. The one of 47492 is one I particularly like. Interesting to see the 90 being pushed along on a test working.

With warm regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

They gave the J21 a bit of a spruce up in 2011 for the 'Stainmore 150' celebrations at Kirkby Stephen East, but it'd be nice to see it receive the attention it deserves.

attachicon.gif65033 - Kirkby Stephen East station, 29th August 2011 (1).jpg

There's a fairly recent update on J21 65033 here. It seems there is some hope of restoration in the not too distant future.