Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Newcastle in the 1980s today,plus a couple I took this morning just north of Cramlington station when I visited the big female landform sculpture, Northumberlandia.  From some parts of the body there are good views of the ECML.

David

Your photos are always full of mammaries.

• RMweb Gold

Post # 8405.

I'll try a Mark54 without the books which are in storage, (and another country at the moment), apologies for errors.

1M15 was a Sheffield - St Pancras.

1E04 I thought was a St Pancras - Sheffield, if, as the caption states, it was a SW/NE working, somebody hasn't altered the headcode, (yet), perhaps.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Post # 8405.

I'll try a Mark54 without the books which are in storage, (and another country at the moment), apologies for errors.

1E04 I thought was a St Pancras - Sheffield, if, as the caption states, it was a SW/NE working, somebody hasn't altered the headcode, (yet), perhaps.

Mike.

Mike,

Thanks very much.

The photo of 1E04 was taken on a day of significant disruption, I was going back to Manchester and was expecting a very long wait as nothing was moving except the Nottingham to Derby service.  Both the NE SW route and the MML were out of action  Then this train appeared as ecs, I presume the headcode had been overlooked.  It departed very full indeed.

The day actually got worse - I eventually caught a 45 hauled train to Manchester which failed on the crossover at Grindleford.  After some time the 45 was persuaded to start up and just managed to reverse the train an engine length from the crossover before failing again.  A 25 was them removed from a freight and took us, plus the dead 45, to Manchester.

I was very late getting home that day.

After that I went back to my preferred route when visiting my parents of catching a train at Grantham and changing at Retford for Sheffield and changing again for Manchester.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle photo's. I don't recall the special running from Driffield to Newcastle on 10th July, 1987. A 4-car DMU would have been a little uncomfortable!

Such a grand station, and it is always good to see photo's of it.

With best regards,

Rob.

P.S. Sorry to be late but my ISP are having severe problems with my internet connection.

Post # 8405.

Mike.

1M15 was the 08:55 Leeds-St Pancras (10:10 from Sheffield, where the buffet car & restaurant saloon were added to the formation). The first coach should be a BFK (rather than BSK) according to the carriage working.

1E04 wasn't a MML headcode, so probably SW/NE as identified by David.

Edited by mark54

• RMweb Premium

love J8528/9 showing the loco and track threading their way through the buildings and under the nice new concrete viaduct for the Metro - i find it amazing that such an old-looking system as this lasted into the '80s, it looks like it belonged in another generation.

this location would make an interesting model - wee electric loco on sharply curved track with a Metro going around up top!

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great selection of photos of the electrics from South Shields and Westoe Colliery. They were remarkable survivers, and I'm glad you were able to photograph them. In the first photo, at St. Hilda's Sidings, the scene would make a fantastic winter model of the sidings.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A lovely selection of photos of the L.T.& S.R. today. That first one is so wintry with all that snow - you can just see a platform and the lights in the distance.

And, as ever, it is good to see the class 302's hard at work.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Love the Harton photos, I lived about half a mile south of the second shot!  When I retire properly I just may have a go at modelling part of the system, I spent a lot of time riding around it illicitly on locos - the senior engineer Freddie Bond was always keen to show us around if he wasn't too busy, too.  Thing is they are just so SMALL - despite having 500hp.  I wonder if Mike Edge would do a 7mm scale version of the EE/Baguleys?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Great shots of Nottingham Midland. My Dad ran the Royal Navy recruiting office (Press gang!) just across the road in Carrington Street although he retired that year (69). I also keep looking at the pictures half expecting to see me or my car in them! Great shots again. Thanks for the memory jolts!

Edited by highpeakman

J1542.....classic shot.....peak and a filthy Siphon. Lovely.

Just wished I'd carried a camera when I was out and about. I still recall a single class 25 at Nottingham reversing about 20 SR PMV's through the station in 1982 I think. So filthy the numbers were totally unreadable. Would have made a brilliant photo considering they were all disappearing off the scene rapidly.

Fantastic time capsule again Dave. Lovely

Edited by balders
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

We've never been asked for that before but I do have a 7mm test etch for the 4wh No2/No10 - just waiting in the queue to be built

That's actually better - I used to ride on them at High Staithes yard....I'll have to have one if you do it for sale. Baguley 13 used to bring the stone to the yard, or very occasionally 4 when 13 was in maintenance.  I'm there..... :declare:

Hi, Dave. I love the photos of Nottingham Midland station. They show a great example of Victorian architectural design. Very cold in that last photo of that winter of 1979.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The 'new' Midland station opened on January 17, 1904. The old gal had popped her clogs by then - January 22, 1901 to be precise.

Edwardian! ;)

• Like 1