Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

I was about to ask if anyone knew what they were! Not seen anything like that before (but there again I haven't been looking)

Apart from Rectanks, I've seen other photos showing BR-built Timber wagons and Plate wagons so loaded at Melton Mowbray; I wonder why there was so much finished timber traffic there?

Apart from Rectanks, I've seen other photos showing BR-built Timber wagons and Plate wagons so loaded at Melton Mowbray; I wonder why there was so much finished timber traffic there?

They used the sawdust in the pork pies and sausages!

Going, going, gone!

From Oz,

Peter C.

Edited by 45568

• RMweb Gold

Was the Pedigree pet food factory in Melton Mowbray in those days?

According to Wikipedia they first moved to Melton Mowbray in 1951  but the name only changed to Pedigree Petfoods in 1972.  In the 1970s about 3 million cans a day were used at the Melton factory.

Link to the Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedigree_Petfoods

David

Maybe the finished timber originated from the Boulton and Paul factory that was close to the old North station.

Maybe the finished timber originated from the Boulton and Paul factory that was close to the old North station.

Sorry, when I said 'finished', I meant stuff that had been processed into the sorts of section you or I might buy for DIY, rather than 'round' timber. I think you're correct about Boulton and Paul, but the wood was going to there, to make window frames etc.

Sorry, when I said 'finished', I meant stuff that had been processed into the sorts of section you or I might buy for DIY, rather than 'round' timber. I think you're correct about Boulton and Paul, but the wood was going to there, to make window frames etc.

Yes, I think you're right there. Just found an old newspaper article which suggests it was incoming timber from Lowestoft. http://www.meltontimes.co.uk/news/transport/life-and-times-of-melton-station-1-6556494

Incidentally, I well remember watching offal for Petfoods being unloaded in the yard in the mid to late 70's. It had originated from Denmark if my memory serves me right.

Yes, I think you're right there. Just found an old newspaper article which suggests it was incoming timber from Lowestoft. http://www.meltontimes.co.uk/news/transport/life-and-times-of-melton-station-1-6556494

Incidentally, I well remember watching offal for Petfoods being unloaded in the yard in the mid to late 70's. It had originated from Denmark if my memory serves me right.

One of the last traffics to bring Interfrigo wagons to the UK was offal from various locations for Melton. This lasted into the 1990s. Whilst the Train-Ferry was still running, there was considerable traffic in ready-tinned pet food from near Orleans; some arrived in VTG Ferry vans, but there was a sizeable quantity that arrived in orange 'CNC' containers. As container traffic couldn't use Dover because of the loading gauge, the containers came to Dunkerque by rail, and were then transhipped to transfer trailers for the ferry crossing. at Dover, they were either loaded directly on to 'main road' type trailers, or stacked against the wall of Dover Marine.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo's of the Cambrian coast line. It is clear to see why the line gets flooded and breached at times being that close to the sea in places.

In C5795, at Penrhyndeudraeth, the sliding toplights of the passenger saloon windows of the class 101 DMU, are all open as far as they will go along with the guards door - it must have been a really hot and humid day that day.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

A quick trip to Scotland today to look at trains at Edinburgh Waverley, Princes Street Gardens and Haymarket.

attachicon.gifa Edinburgh Waverley 101347 Edinburgh to North Berwick 18th Aug 87 C9062.jpg

Edinburgh Waverley 101347 Edinburgh to North Berwick 18th Aug 87 C9062

attachicon.gifa Edinburgh Waverley Driving Trailer 12th April 86 C7410.jpg

Edinburgh Waverley Driving Trailer 12th April 86 C7410

attachicon.gifb Princes Street Gardens 47614 Dundee to Edinburgh 12th April 86 C7424.jpg

Princes Street Gardens 47614 Dundee? to Edinburgh 12th April 86 C7424

attachicon.gifb Princes Street Gardens 47629 Edinburgh to Dundee 12th April 86 C7429.jpg

Princes Street Gardens 47629 Edinburgh to Dundee? 12th April 86 C7429

attachicon.gifc Haymarket 27045 11th Oct 86 C8037.jpg

Haymarket 27045 11th Oct 86 C8037

David

Great photos as always, really enjoy this thread, one of my favourites.

47614 is more likely to be a portion train running to Waverley from somewhere in SW England via Carstairs. My reason for thinking this is that these services were usually made up of MK2 air cons often included an RMB or RFB. The RMB was at the front but would have been in the middle when combined with the Glasgow portion South of Carstairs. These services used the lines nearest the Castle for the services which started on terminated at Waverley. The two which originated North of Waverley, an Aberdeen (to Penzance) service and a Dundee (to Poole) service used to come in on the other lines then go out on the lines shown in the photo of 47614. As a result those two services called at Haymarket twice.

If interested I have a wee bit more info in post 28 and 63 of my layout thread.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96961-waverley-85-86/?p=1849895

and

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96961-waverley-85-86/?p=2122837

47629 looks like an Edinburgh to Dundee service, this is based on the track it is on,the 4 coach formation and motive power. By 1986, 47s were more common than they had been the previous year on these services. 27s being more common prior to the 47s muscling in.

Edited by Waverley47708

• RMweb Gold

Great photos as always, really enjoy this thread, one of my favourites.

47614 is more likely to be a portion train running to Waverley from somewhere in SW England via Carstairs. My reason for thinking this is that these services were usually made up of MK2 air cons often included an RMB or RFB. The RMB was at the front but would have been in the middle when combined with the Glasgow portion South of Carstairs. These services used the lines nearest the Castle for the services which started on terminated at Waverley. The two which originated North of Waverley, an Aberdeen (to Penzance) service and a Dundee (to Poole) service used to come in on the other lines then go out on the lines shown in the photo of 47614. As a result those two services called at Haymarket twice.

If interested I have a wee bit more info in post 28 and 63 of my layout thread.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96961-waverley-85-86/?p=1849895

and

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96961-waverley-85-86/?p=2122837

47629 looks like an Edinburgh to Dundee service, this is based on the track it is on,the 4 coach formation and motive power. By 1986, 47s were more common than they had been the previous year on these services. 27s being more common prior to the 47s muscling in.

Thanks very much indeed both for the information and the time you've spent putting it together.

David

Love the Aylesbury pictures Dave, they bring back some great memories....In the mid-70s I would occasionally cycle from Oxford to Aylesbury on a Sunday to get Class 115 numbers, they were stabled on what seemed to be every available spare bit of track in and around the station, and wandering around to get the numbers was no problem. Happy (if slightly mad) days !

• Like 1

Superb pics of Aylesbury. Beyond the goods shed you can see the oil tanks at the oil depot accessed from Oxford Road.

In later years Railfreight liveried HBAs could be seen there by the old dock with the black corrugated roof.

Someone posted a picture somewhere maybe on old RM web, of a brake van propelled through the stop block by the embankment on Oxford Road in what looked rather more than a rough shunt !

The final 115 is in the Bay which was closed at route modernisation. To the left of that as looking at the train were a couple of long sidings next to Bear Brook and the road past the multi storey car park. They used to be full of vans, van wides GUVs and SPVs used for the BPPC traffic from Uncle Bob Maxwells at Hazel Watson and Viney.

The 25 was often stabled in the facing stub off the old up main beneath the pedestrian footbridge to South court and the Floyd where I went to school. In later years that's where the Green 08-Haversham was also stabled.I remember being surprised when it first appeared as I hadn't seen an 08 at Aylesbury before.

Brilliant. Thanks for posting.

MattW

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great photos of the Great Central line, which might have become HS2 in a different existence!

I like seeing all those class 115 DMU's, they were the only way to travel over what was left of the old main line until the second generation units took over. But, as always, it is about what could have been, and should have been.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I was beginning to think I would have problems posting photos here today and had got ready to copy the image files to my laptop to upload them, as my PC would not connect to the internet.

Apparently it is a known problem,a fix is to Restart the computer (as opposed to Shut Down and then Start).  It seems mainly to affect Windows 10 users, but also a few on Windows 8 and 7.  Why are computers never straightforward?

You don't need to bother answering that, I spent long enough at work managing a network so I know that problems appear and go away almost at random.  My Chief suspect is Microsoft - I wonder why?

I've had problems as well. Just as I'd written a document and wanted to print it. A Windows 10 update arrived and installed and now I seem to have lost the driver for my HP DeskJet printer. No advance warning - just henceforth unsupported, by the look of it. It may be 17 years old but it works (worked) perfectly well for simple B&W documents.

As for the pictures, a great selection again. I was going to post a contrasting, contemporary view to C3116, from the Bourg Walk bridge which replaced the old footbridge, to show how dramatically that view north from Aylesbury station has changed in the intervening years, with the Chiltern Railways depot, a car park, housing and the Morrisons superstore (and Station Way). Unfortunately, I discovered that I haven't taken a picture from that exact spot in about 9 years! There's my first New Year resolution.