Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the North West photo's. 45332 makes a fine and nostalgic sight at the head of that freight train at Milnthorpe. Plenty of classic cars to bee seen in the last two photo's, including an Austin 1100 at Runcorn Bridge in the last photo'. It has the later radiator grill.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Are you sure it's 45332?

Only in so far as that is the number dad wrote in his notes, he could be wrong, it's not unknown.

Edit

In fact it is 45282.  I've just gone back and checked the black and white photo I took of the same train.  I cannot post it here as I sold the negative some time ago.

David

Edited by DaveF

Hi, Dave. I like the North West photo's. 45332 makes a fine and nostalgic sight at the head of that freight train at Milnthorpe. Plenty of classic cars to bee seen in the last two photo's, including an Austin 1100 at Runcorn Bridge in the last photo'. It has the later radiator grill.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

1100's identical to my first car aged 17, LOD 3844 F, only paid 40 quid for it, got 50 back when I sold it on!

Ah Runcorn Bridge. We went over it a couple of weeks after it had been opened, on our way to a camping holiday in the Lake District. It was over 50 years before I crossed it again, this time on the push bike while cycling from Lands End to John O'Groats. Still looking good.

post-7952-0-07595200-1494510293_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the Grantham to Nottingham photos. As stated the first one is a real gem, and you can also see how the multiple working cable on the drivers side buffer of the 37 has been 'twirled' around the top of it - an interesting detail to apply to a model.

And that level crossing is so remarkable! I've certainly not seen one in between two bridges before - it must have been most unique.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Photos on the Grantham to Nottingham line taken between Aslockton and Nottingham, with one from the Cotgrave branch for this afternoon.

attachicon.giff Aslockton Class 37 D6830 westbound coal Sept 68 J1429.jpg

Aslockton Class 37 D6830 westbound coal Sept 68 J1429

attachicon.gifga Radcliffe on Trent (Saxondale) D8078 and another ex LNWR trackbed in foreground June 69 J1715.jpg

Radcliffe on Trent (Saxondale) D8078 and another ex LNWR trackbed in foreground June 69 J1715

attachicon.gifk Bridge on Cotgrave branch near Stragglethorpe 9th June 89 C11980.jpg

Bridge on Cotgrave branch near Stragglethorpe 9th June 89 C11980

attachicon.giflc Netherfield station view west June 80 J6952.jpg

Netherfield station view west June 80 J6952

attachicon.giflc Netherfield station view west June 80 J6954.jpg

Netherfield station view west June 80 J6954

attachicon.gifna Nottingham Trent Lane level crossing May 74 J3668.jpg

Nottingham Trent Lane level crossing May 74 J3668

David

Another set of fantastically atmospheric photos today David. Thank you for sharing with us. With regards to photo J1715, the loco cannot be D8078 as it had headcode boxes, it must be D8178. Also note the member of traincrew emptying the tea can out of the cab of the rear loco, (I assume it's the rear loco), unless they are travelling wrong road, in which case it's the front loco.

Paul J.

Edited by Swindon 123

And that level crossing is so remarkable! I've certainly not seen one in between two bridges before - it must have been most unique.

Not only between but passing under the far bridge. Hope Dave doesn't mind me posting this link to his pic that popped up on Flickr yesterday. The next level crossing on a the line a few hundred yards or so to the West.

https://flic.kr/p/UFejtn

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another set of fantastically atmospheric photos today David. Thank you for sharing with us. With regards to photo J1715, the loco cannot be D8078 as it had headcode boxes, it must be D8178. Also note the member of traincrew emptying the tea can out of the cab of the rear loco, (I assume it's the rear loco), unless they are travelling wrong road, in which case it's the front loco.

Paul J.

Paul,

Thanks for the note about the loco number, it must indeed be D8178.  I suffer from the faults of most caption writers - if I can get it wrong I will.

The tea is indeed being emptied from the rear loco, they are working right line.

Not only between but passing under the far bridge. Hope Dave doesn't mind me posting this link to his pic that popped up on Flickr yesterday. The next level crossing on a the line a few hundred yards or so to the West.

https://flic.kr/p/UFejtn

P

Porcy,

I am perfectly happy for you to post that link to flickr - it's one of my own photos on my flickr site!

It may already be in this thread somewhere, if not it will appear at some future date.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Midland Railway photo's. I think I can see why foam bufferstops did not get anywhere! lol What a remarkable sight it makes in those two photos, but I suppose the idea had to be tried out. That last photo shows a brake dust begrimed class 25/3. Mike may well be right about it having undergone a repaint, but what a deplorable external condition!

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

I think I can see why foam bufferstops did not get anywhere! lol What a remarkable sight it makes in those two photos, but I suppose the idea had to be tried out.

Was it because you needed a mile of it to stop a train? :scratchhead:

Shucks that means there would be no room in a terminus for trains with those in place! :jester:

Keith

Was it because you needed a mile of it to stop a train? :scratchhead:

Shucks that means there would be no room in a terminus for trains with those in place! :jester:

Keith

It would have been a long walk to the concourse..

J1429...  8M74 was the 0815 SO Hull to Colwick due Aslockton at 2pm, so would fit the sun angle; and the coal wagons would be empties.

Edited by jonny777

J2997.

This could well be one of D7660 - D7677, unless it's a 1967 -1969 repaint, due to the 4 cabside arrows.

Mike.

I'm going to stick my neck out on the identity of the 25 in J2997 as 7609 my reasoning is thus.

Of D7660-D7677, D7660 didn't have 4 arrows, it only had 2 under the drivers window. the 2nd number was under the D/A's side window, and by 1970 it had a central arrow anyway. Of the remaining, D7671 to D7677 had the numbers too low down to be the one in the photo, and they were positioned closer to the cab doors. The one in the photo had the RH number nearer to the center of the boiler grill, and almost right under it. D7661/4/8 had central arrows by the time of the photo. The positioning of the others in the D7662-70 had the same problem of number position being nearer to the cab than the one in the photo. Of the other three locos of that body style I've found with 4 double arrows on the cabside, 5283, D7642 and 7562, (not 7675), the numbers on 5283 and D7642 are too low to be the loco in the photo. The only one I can't be sure about is 7562 as the only photo I have of it is of No 1 end so I don't know how high the numbers are in relation to the boiler grill, so it could be a contender. 

Of course there could be other locos out there with 4 double arrows i haven't photos of that could equally be candidates.

So my candidate  is 7609.

Paul J.

Edited to correct a mistake with one of the numbers. 

Edited by Swindon 123

• RMweb Gold

J1429...  8M74 was the 0815 SO Hull to Colwick due Aslockton at 2pm, so would fit the sun angle; and the coal wagons would be empties.

Many thanks for the information.  As it was a photo Dad took in September it would have been taken on a Saturday, and the time fits, he often went out to take photos after an early lunch.

I'm going to stick my neck out on the identity of the 25 in J2997 as 7609 my reasoning is thus.

Of D7660-D7677, D7660 didn't have 4 arrows, it only had 2 under the drivers window. the 2nd number was under the D/A's side window, and by 1970 it had a central arrow anyway. Of the remaining, D7671 to D7677 had the numbers too low down to be the one in the photo, and they were positioned closer to the cab doors. The one in the photo had the RH number nearer to the center of the boiler grill, and almost right under it. D7661/4/8 had central arrows by the time of the photo. The positioning of the others in the D7662-70 had the same problem of number position being nearer to the cab than the one in the photo. Of the other three locos of that body style I've found with 4 double arrows on the cabside, 5283, D7642 and 7675, the numbers on 5283 and D7642 are too low to be the loco in the photo. The only one I can't be sure about is 7562 as the only photo I have of it is of No 1 end so i don't know how high the numbers are in relation to the boiler grill, so it could be a contender. 

Of course there could be other locos out there with 4 double arrows i haven't photos of that could equally be candidates.

So my candidate  is 7609.

Paul J.

Many thanks Paul for the time that must have taken you to work out.

As for foam bufferstops - was it anything to do with the APTE testing as this was a part of the Old Dalby test tack?

David

• RMweb Premium

AFAIK the foam arrester was part of the APT program, and was actually run through by a peak on one occasion, with the peak and its train ending up in the ballast upto its axles somewhere the other side of the bridge Dave was stood on. I can't seem to find the photos at the minute, maybe they are buried in the APT-E model pages....

Andy G

Edit: Kit Spackman talks about it here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/114295-apt-pop-train-kit-under-design-construction/page-2 post 32 onwards. Photos here: http://www.apt-e.org/Barry_May/Collection_1/BarryMay_1.html

Edited by uax6