Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Dave

Great pics, as always.

I am struggling to place C2059 as being in the Radcliffe area. If east of the station the formation was 4 tracks wide as far as Saxondale Junction and it doesn't look to be on the two track section west of the station up to the Trent.

ROB

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photos from Radcliffe on Trent today. In the last photo, I see there is a dent in the drivers side of the cab. I think it must be from a shunting accident. I know the Derby Lightweight units were most prone to that happening. I haven't seen it on a 114 before with steel cab ends.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

The Deltic at York in 1979.............last time I was hauled by a Deltic was on one of these secondary services, in 1979, from York to the X with a group of Scouts from Epsom. We had been to the NRM as far as I remember. I wasn't that excited by this haulage at the time.............................I had not seen the future!

Thanks dave.

Phil

• Like 1

Some Great Western photos today - at least Great Western after the grouping ti be exact.

I am assuming that the first photo, captioned as Alcester shows the GWR line from Bearley Junction to Alcester rather then the Midland line from Barnt Green to Ashchurch

attachicon.gifLeominster north of Class 120 Hereford to Shrewsbury 7th April 74 C1577.jpg

Leominster (north of) Class 120 Hereford to Shrewsbury 7th April 74 C1577

attachicon.gifLeominster north of Castle Class 4079 Pendennis Castle ecs 7th April 74 C1579.jpg

Leominster (north of) Castle Class 4079 Pendennis Castle ecs 7th April 74 C1579

David

Another excellent set of photos David. Many thanks for sharing with us.

With regards to photos C1577 & C1579, the actual location is just south of Wooferton, (north of Leominster as you say). The bridge the photos are taken off is a "C" class road between Orleton and Ashton, (on the A49 just north of Berrington Hall). Wooferton SB. Up distant is just hidden behind the trees to the left hand edge of the photo. These trees also hide the northern entrance to the 330yd Putnal Field Tunnel on the Leominster Canal, which ran between Leominster, of course, and originally Stourport, but it only got as far as Tenbury Wells. As a canal it was a bit of a disaster, as it never reached any of its objectives, it should have gone to Kington after reaching Leominster. Surprisingly it did manage to carry traffic, although in the end it was bought out and part of the route of the canal east of Wooferton was followed by part of the branch from Wooferton to Tenbury Wells and Bewdley. More on its chequered history can be found here.  http://www.canalroutes.net/Leominster-Canal.html#route

Back to the railway, below is a shot taken from a Class 37, taken heading north from Leominster to Wooferton. The bridge the photos were taken from is in the distance and the 37 coming towards us is on a loaded steel train from Ravenscraig to South Wales. Woofertons Up Distant colour light signal is hidden (again) by the trees seen on the left through the bridge arch.

post-7146-0-11985800-1493396758_thumb.jpg

Paul J.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Great Western photo's. In particular, it is good seeing the GW lower quadrant signals at Exeter St David's, in C654, and the way there is a flurry of exhaust from the 47 as it leaves the station.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Another excellent set of photos David. Many thanks for sharing with us.

With regards to photos C1577 & C1579, the actual location is just south of Wooferton, (north of Leominster as you say). The bridge the photos are taken off is a "C" class road between Orleton and Ashton, (on the A49 just north of Berrington Hall). Wooferton SB. Up distant is just hidden behind the trees to the left hand edge of the photo. These trees also hide the northern entrance to the 330yd Putnal Field Tunnel on the Leominster Canal, which ran between Leominster, of course, and originally Stourport, but it only got as far as Tenbury Wells. As a canal it was a bit of a disaster, as it never reached any of its objectives, it should have gone to Kington after reaching Leominster. Surprisingly it did manage to carry traffic, although in the end it was bought out and part of the route of the canal east of Wooferton was followed by part of the branch from Wooferton to Tenbury Wells and Bewdley. More on its chequered history can be found here.  http://www.canalroutes.net/Leominster-Canal.html#route

Back to the railway, below is a shot taken from a Class 37, taken heading north from Leominster to Wooferton. The bridge the photos were taken from is in the distance and the 37 coming towards us is on a loaded steel train from Ravenscraig to South Wales. Woofertons Up Distant colour light signal is hidden (again) by the trees seen on the left through the bridge arch.

attachicon.gifNorthbound approaching Wooferton. (07-90--020).jpg

Paul J.

Many thanks for the informative post Paul

Wooferton loops always looked an attractive location to me and was at Berrington Hall a couple of weekends ago - a spectacular Capability Brown park, NT of course....and the site of the canal aqueduct over the Teme was a familiar land mark when trout tickling on the Teme. The area is steeped in history - it just needs knowledge such as yours to unlock the significance relating to Dave's superb photos

C654 - first vehicle behind the Brush Type 4 is a MK1 BFK - not hugely common on the Western Region

And I do wish Dave would stop torturing us with wonderful photos of Class 120 DMUs......not!

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 2

Many thanks for the informative post Paul

Wooferton loops always looked an attractive location to me and was at Berrington Hall a couple of weekends ago - a spectacular Capability Brown park, NT of course....and the site of the canal aqueduct over the Teme was a familiar land mark when trout tickling on the Teme. The area is steeped in history - it just needs knowledge such as yours to unlock the significance relating to Dave's superb photos

C654 - first vehicle behind the Brush Type 4 is a MK1 BFK - not hugely common on the Western Region

And I do wish Dave would stop torturing us with wonderful photos of Class 120 DMUs......not!

Phil

Thanks Phil. For a rural area, that some would consider a backwater, there was a lot going on with regards to canals and tramways in the late 18th century. The northern end tunnel mouth of Putnal Field Tunnel could be seen from the railway in the winter, along with a substantial stretch of the canal, and until the late 1980's a lock as well, although the latter has now been ploughed under. The whole route from Newport to Shrewsbury had a lot of industrial archaeology to be seen from it, if you knew where to look. Unfortunately a lot has disappeared over the years due to erosion or being dug/ploughed up.

​Going back to Dave's photos, I've also noticed that the Down line is one of the original Long Welded Rail sections on wooden sleepers. The giveaway is the extra pair of rails laid in the four foot. If you look carefully just behind the Class 120 and just in front of 4079, the expansion joint can just be made out opposite the milepost. The only other section of this type of LWR in my time, was on the Down line again, just south of Craven Arms. It lasted until the late 80's at least, possibly later.

Paul J.

• Like 1

By a curious co-incidence I have that very 24 1/4 milepost in my back garden after it was broken off by accident (1/2 sets of switches / RRV's and incompetent machine controllers don't mix well !!) and replaced with a modern "blue diamond" one - think that's also gone too now.

The sidings where the 08 (might be an 09 with the HL air pipes?) is now car park and a set of trackside access gates ................

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photos of Woking. In particular I like C3701, of 33029 and 73110. A good photo of both locomotives. And how busy Woking was on your visit. I hope you can find more photos of the station, it's a fascinating place.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Of note is that 7741 was one of the units (7739/42 were the others) disbanded, before being put in service, to make up the 8VAB 8001. When 8001 was itself disbanded, some of the spare vehicles had been reused to replace accident-damaged stock, so only 7741/42 were able to be reformed. So 7739 is the only 4VEP not to turn a wheel in revenue earning service...

• Like 1

C3701, I think you need to edit what you have typed for the caption. A 31 and a 73?

As for the 350 in C3703, chances are it would be a 09. Does anybody out there know how many 08 were allocated to the SR in 78 that were dual braked and high level air pipes?

• RMweb Gold

C3701, I think you need to edit what you have typed for the caption. A 31 and a 73?

As for the 350 in C3703, chances are it would be a 09. Does anybody out there know how many 08 were allocated to the SR in 78 that were dual braked and high level air pipes?

As Captain Mainwaring might say "I wondered how long it would be before someone noticed that".

It's my usual poor typing (plus poor proofreading).

I'm not sure about the 08/09, it may well be an 09, but I could think why there would be a need for one at Woking.  Perhaps someone has the definitive answer.

David

Edited by DaveF

As I first thought - I think it's an 09 as it has the extra cabinet on the LHS of the loco that 08's don't have.

Woking had a LOT of sidings back in the day - besides the extensive down goods yard and the down station sidings associated with the mail platform, the site occupied by Morrisons' supermarket was the PAD which alone had 192 sets of points within it just to illustrate its size - Woking would likely have had up to 3 pilots to cope with all that. The steam shed was previously on the site adjacent to where that shunter is sitting, the NR Electrification maintenance staff still occupy the base of the water tower - the hole where the water supply pipe entered can still be seen in the western wall - the pipe itself ran all the way from a cistern at Deepcut out by Pribright Jn some 5 miles away- buried about 3ft down in the Down Slow cess.

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Today's second set come from Peterborough on 27th July 1974 which was a Saturday.

attachicon.gifPeterborough Class 47 down ex pass 27th July 74 C1694.jpg

Peterborough Class 47 down ex pass 27th July 74 C1694

attachicon.gifPeterborough Class 47 ecs 27th July 74 C1702.jpg

Peterborough Class 47 ecs 27th July 74 C1702

attachicon.gifPeterborough Class 55 up 27th July 74 C1703.jpg

Peterborough Class 55 up 27th July 74 C1703

attachicon.gifPeterborough Class 105 Norwich to Peterborough 27th July 74 C1726.jpg

Peterborough Class 105 Norwich to Peterborough 27th July 74 C1726

attachicon.gifPeterborough Class 55 Aberdeen to Kings X 27th July 74 C1728.jpg

Peterborough Class 55 Aberdeen to Kings X 27th July 74 C1728

The Deltics - C1703 is 55008 The Green Howards (on what looks like 1E05 the up Flying Scotsman) and C1728 is 55001 St Paddy. Edited by brushman47544

Today's "preserved" photos are from Sewstern, on the ex British Steel lines beyond the High Dyke branch.

They were taken while it was preserved.

attachicon.gifSewstern Bass Charrington 5 Feb 73 J3148.jpg

Sewstern   Bagguley Bass Charrington 5 Feb 73 J3148

attachicon.gifSewstern Class 03 D2381 Mc Alpine flying Sotsmans spare boiler July 73 C1268.jpg

Sewstern Class 03 D2381 Mc Alpine  behind the wagon is flying Sotsman's spare boiler July 73 C1268

attachicon.gifSewstern Flying Scotsman spare boiler July 73 C1286.jpg

Sewstern Flying Scotsman spare boiler July 73 C1286

attachicon.gifSewstern Flying Scotsman spare boiler July 73 C1288.jpg

Sewstern Flying Scotsman spare boiler July 73 C1288

attachicon.gifSewstern Class 03 D2381 and Avonside Fred Jan 74 C1463.jpg

Sewstern Class 03 D2381 and Avonside Fred Jan 74 C1463

attachicon.gifSewstern Hunslet Primrose No 2 and Class 03 D2381 ballast Feb 74 C1472.jpg

Sewstern Hunslet Primrose No 2 and Class 03 D2381 ballast Feb 74 C1472

attachicon.gifSewstern Merchant Navy 35029 Ellerman Lines Class 03 D2381 Feb 74 C1475.jpg

Sewstern Merchant Navy 35029 Ellerman Lines Class 03 D2381 Feb 74 C1475

David

i wonder what the those narrow gauge wheelsets were from in C1286, and Hunslet Primrose in C1472  was one of the engines modified to test better fuel efficiency and performance http://www.martynbane.co.uk/modernsteam/ldp/austerity/locophotos.htm