Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

i wonder what the those narrow gauge wheelsets were from in C1286, and Hunslet Primrose in C1472  was one of the engines modified to test better fuel efficiency and performance http://www.martynbane.co.uk/modernsteam/ldp/austerity/locophotos.htm

I've looked through both my notes and Dad's (he was the manager at Sewstern for the workshops and railway after British Steel left) and can't find any details of the narow gauge wheelsets.

At the time the works waas doing quite a lot of contract work for preservation groups and individuals as Sewstern had a wheel lathe, there were very few of them available to preservation then.

Thanks very much for the information on Primrose.  As mentioned in the photos in your link it had lost the underfeed stoker, I think the gas producer system had also been removed, I don't remember any evidence of it when I used to see the loco regularly at Sewstern.  

David

Edited by DaveF

As I first thought - I think it's an 09 as it has the extra cabinet on the LHS of the loco that 08's don't have.

It's impossible to tell if it is a 08 or 09 from the front as the extra cabinet could be found on 08's as well. The following 08's also had high level pipes. 08414, 08642/48/50/53/55, 08756/60, 08811/30/31/33/37/45/47/50/54/92, 08929,33.

Paul J.

Edited to add four locos to the list. 08414, 08811, 08929/33.

Edited by Swindon 123
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As I first thought - I think it's an 09 as it has the extra cabinet on the LHS of the loco that 08's don't have.

Woking had a LOT of sidings back in the day - besides the extensive down goods yard and the down station sidings associated with the mail platform, the site occupied by Morrisons' supermarket was the PAD which alone had 192 sets of points within it just to illustrate its size - Woking would likely have had up to 3 pilots to cope with all that. The steam shed was previously on the site adjacent to where that shunter is sitting, the NR Electrification maintenance staff still occupy the base of the water tower - the hole where the water supply pipe entered can still be seen in the western wall - the pipe itself ran all the way from a cistern at Deepcut out by Pribright Jn some 5 miles away- buried about 3ft down in the Down Slow cess.

To add to Paul's post, the extra cabinet on the left hand running plate was used to house the train airbrake compressor as fitted to all 09s and many 08s. With the decline and then abandonment of vacuum brakes some 08s had their vacuum exhausters removed from the front box and replaced with a train airbrake compressor, hence not all airbraked 08s have the additional box on the left hand running plate. 

It has six headcode lamps and lamp irons and wiggly radiator filler pipes, all the 09s did and so did many SR allocated 08s. Question for Paul, following on from your list of 08s with high level pipes, do you have one for those fitted with six lamps and lamp irons?

Another excellent set of photos David. Many thanks for sharing with us.

With regards to photos C1577 & C1579, the actual location is just south of Wooferton, (north of Leominster as you say). The bridge the photos are taken off is a "C" class road between Orleton and Ashton, (on the A49 just north of Berrington Hall). Wooferton SB. Up distant is just hidden behind the trees to the left hand edge of the photo. These trees also hide the northern entrance to the 330yd Putnal Field Tunnel on the Leominster Canal, which ran between Leominster, of course, and originally Stourport, but it only got as far as Tenbury Wells. As a canal it was a bit of a disaster, as it never reached any of its objectives, it should have gone to Kington after reaching Leominster. Surprisingly it did manage to carry traffic, although in the end it was bought out and part of the route of the canal east of Wooferton was followed by part of the branch from Wooferton to Tenbury Wells and Bewdley. More on its chequered history can be found here.  http://www.canalroutes.net/Leominster-Canal.html#route

Back to the railway, below is a shot taken from a Class 37, taken heading north from Leominster to Wooferton. The bridge the photos were taken from is in the distance and the 37 coming towards us is on a loaded steel train from Ravenscraig to South Wales. Woofertons Up Distant colour light signal is hidden (again) by the trees seen on the left through the bridge arch.

attachicon.gifNorthbound approaching Wooferton. (07-90--020).jpg

Paul J.

The ridge across the valley there: it was rather rough luck for the canal tunnelers - the ridge is a terminal moraine dropped by a glacier that blocked the original course of the river Teme there, so, lovely tunneling ground. Not.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Sewstern photos. I didn't realise the Scotsman had a spare boiler at that time. It's most interesting to see it in those photos.

Peterborough in July 1974 looks as good as the new station could be. And in C1726 there is a photo of another of the Craven's units that were transferred from Hull BG in the late '60's. The four lamp cab is the big indentifying feature.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65

To add to Paul's post, the extra cabinet on the left hand running plate was used to house the train airbrake compressor as fitted to all 09s and many 08s. With the decline and then abandonment of vacuum brakes some 08s had their vacuum exhausters removed from the front box and replaced with a train airbrake compressor, hence not all airbraked 08s have the additional box on the left hand running plate. 

It has six headcode lamps and lamp irons and wiggly radiator filler pipes, all the 09s did and so did many SR allocated 08s. Question for Paul, following on from your list of 08s with high level pipes, do you have one for those fitted with six lamps and lamp irons?

The ex LMR 09s did not have six lamps or lamp brakes or the high level pipes.

• RMweb Gold

Hello, Dave. An excellent set of photos for New Holland Pier today. The ferry Farringford looks good in C3754. They often would get stuck on a sand bank!

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

The Deltics - C1703 is 55008 The Green Howards (on what looks like 1E05 the up Flying Scotsman) and C1728 is 55001 St Paddy.

Just to add to that:  I would take a punt on the class 37 being on 1C15 Peterborough to Harwich Parkeston Quay and 55 001 being at the head of 1E11, which departed Peterborough just before 1C15. 37s were not common at Peterborough on a Saturday in 1974, except on 1B13/1C15 (as I've previously mentioned) which would have propelled back into platform 4 from Nene Sidings at around 16:40, after running round.

• RMweb Premium

The ex LMR 09s did not have six lamps or lamp brakes or the high level pipes.

That will teach me to not fire from the hip but to look carefully. 09017 to 25 did not have the SR six lamps and lamp irons, ex-LMR engines as 45125 states . Numbers 24 and 25 never received the high level pipes as well. All the information is in Steve Jordan's wonderful books on the standard diesel-electric shunters.

Note to self, check before putting size nine in it. 

Hello, Dave. An excellent set of photos for New Holland Pier today. The ferry Farringford looks good in C3754. They often would get stuck on a sand bank!

With warmest regards,

Rob.

That's why the three ferries (Wingfield, Tattershall and Lincoln Castles) this vessel took over from  had flat bottoms and with their paddles they could waddle their way free from sandbanks and often did.

As to the Farringford, I had the misfortune to travel on it during it's first day in service. Due to "unforeseen" difficulties loading cars etc, the 7.30am sailing left Hull Corporation Pier at approx 9.30am that morning. The two hours went on my timesheet however.

Edited by Judge Dread

J3008 - a "shock"ing number of empty wagons on the left. What would need vast rakes of shock opens?

I think those sidings were used for condemned stock at this time. Certainly, in the early 60s, they always seemed to be full of old wagons. In 1981, the sidings in the coal yard (near the warehouse) had withdrawn class 306 units in them. Remember taht when we went to watch 'Latics at Cambridge, Peanuts?

Another question; on the 'wrong' side of the line, there was a bracket signal with the North Jn. splitting homes with the East Jn./ Whitemoor Jn. distants below; when was it abolished, and what was the alternative arrangement?

Great Eastern and GE/GN Joint again today.

attachicon.gifTwenty Foot River bridge Aug 72 J3004.jpg

Twenty Foot River bridge Aug 72 J3004

attachicon.gifTwenty Foot River bridge Class 31 5667 Yarmouth to Doncaster Aug 72 J3005.jpg

Twenty Foot River bridge Class 31 5667 Yarmouth to Doncaster Aug 72 J3005

attachicon.gifMarch North Junction B1101 lever crossing March to Wisbech line Aug 72 J3006.jpg

March North Junction B1101 lever crossing March to Wisbech line Aug 72 J3006

attachicon.gifMarch Class 105 Peterborough to Cambridge Aug 72 J3007.jpg

March Class 105 Peterborough to Cambridge Aug 72 J3007  Class 101 rear coach

attachicon.gifMarch Class 101 Peterborough to Cambridge Aug 72 J3008.jpg

March Class 101 Peterborough to Cambridge Aug 72 J3008 Class 105 front coach

David

Wow! Vans in the down Hump, Whitemoor Junction's up, and by this stage, fixed distant on the Wizbang line, ME45 signal has two discs, and the stored Shock Opens. Wow again. The Shocks would have been accumulated as they were returned to Whitemoor and were humped. If a request for a particular type of wagon had been made they could be nabbed ,if empty and not required for revenue work, as they passed the humps. Maybe a job had come up that would need such wagons or works had requested a load to select the best for overhaul.

The arm that was WJ's fixed distant is still about and i'm sure you can guess where.

• Like 1

Another question; on the 'wrong' side of the line, there was a bracket signal with the North Jn. splitting homes with the East Jn./ Whitemoor Jn. distants below; when was it abolished, and what was the alternative arrangement?

The alternative arrangement is in shot. A three aspect ground mounted signal and stencil route indicator.

Edited by LNERGE

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the GE and GE/GN Joint photo's. In J3006, I think there is a vehicle of some description on the remains of the other running line - I am not sure if it was the former down or up line - I have tried enlarging the photo', but still cannot make out exactly what it is.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the GE and GE/GN Joint photo's. In J3006, I think there is a vehicle of some description on the remains of the other running line - I am not sure if it was the former down or up line - I have tried enlarging the photo', but still cannot make out exactly what it is.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I've never been sure what the "vehicle" is, but I think it is some sort of excavator - JCB or similar.  It was no clearer on the slide.

David.

I've never been sure what the "vehicle" is, but I think it is some sort of excavator - JCB or similar.  It was no clearer on the slide.

David.

One thing of note in this shot is the way the rails are secured to the sleepers. They have used elastic spikes without baseplates.

Great Eastern and GE/GN Joint again today.

attachicon.gifMarch Class 105 Peterborough to Cambridge Aug 72 J3007.jpg

March Class 105 Peterborough to Cambridge Aug 72 J3007  Class 101 rear coach

David

There is a depression bar on the line furthest to the right. The track here was oily and single loco's would sometimes disappear from the track circuit. It was a regular move to stand a loco here ready for a path south. The line was permissive but it was a still a surprise to find a loco in front when signalled in on the main arm.