Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Blyth and Tyne , and Ashington photos. A great selection. The first one is a classic shot of 37132. Then that wagon in C8531 has been left there after presumably a derailment. And it’s good to see the class 14’s in the last two photos at Ashington. I’ve not seen too many photos of 14’s in NCB use. I don’t know why that is, so thank you for posting those two.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

I find it quite strange that the NCB were still using wooden bodied hoppers in the mid '80's. Just so old fashioned!

I also find it a bit odd that 37 132 in blue looks odd having had its bufferbeam valance removed, yet the photos of the 37/4's in large logo it looks correct...

Cracking shots as per usual, thanks...

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

I think its the oval buffers that look odd to some, yet in the North east 37s had been fitted with them from virtually new there are pictures of locos especially thornaby ones with them in green.

Apparently the original round Oleo's didn't like big unbraked loads buffeting them and were changed for stiffer

oval ones the downside was that the stresses transferred to the superstructure and even today rippled nosescan be seen on locos so equipped

Hi, Dave. I like the Blyth and Tyne , and Ashington photos. A great selection. The first one is a classic shot of 37132. Then that wagon in C8531 has been left there after presumably a derailment. And it’s good to see the class 14’s in the last two photos at Ashington. I’ve not seen too many photos of 14’s in NCB use. I don’t know why that is, so thank you for posting those two.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

It had been double track from Ashington to Number One Loop on the way to Butterwell Opencast Disposal Point but became single line after the derailment that left the stranded MGR there.

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Embsay photos, as always a great selection of locos to be seen, and in C6247, interesting to see the Gresley corridor carriage.

The GE photos bring back some good memories. It’s particularly good to see that class 309 in the last photo.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

A few Great Eastern photos today mostly from the 1970s.

attachicon.gifRayleigh Class 307 Southend Victoria to Liverpool St Apr 75 J4258.jpg

Rayleigh Class 307 Southend Victoria to Liverpool St Apr 75 J4258

attachicon.gifRayleigh Class 307 Southend Victoria to Liverpool St Apr 75 J4259.jpg

Rayleigh Class 307 Southend Victoria to Liverpool St Apr 75 J4259

attachicon.gifLexden Class 47 Norwich to Liverpool St May 83 C6045.jpg

Lexden Class 47 Norwich to Liverpool St May 83 C6045

attachicon.gifThorpe le Soken Class 305 Colcjester St Botolphs to Clacton July 75 J4529.jpg

horpe le Soken Class 305 Colchester St Botolphs to Clacton July 75 J4529

attachicon.gifFrinton on Sea Class 309 Walton to Liverpool St July 75 J4528.jpg

Frinton on Sea Class 309 Walton to Liverpool St July 75 J4528

David

David, many thanks for latest posting. The ‘iconic gates’ of Frinton-on-Sea!! My grandparents lived about 1 mile ‘outside’ the gates and we spent many wonderful holidays there in the 1960’s and 70’s!

I believe that Network Rail replaced the manually-operated barriers with an automated flashing-light system monitored in Colchester despite local protests by the Frinton Gates Preservation Society in April 2009; allegedly the replacement was completed overnight to avoid protests.

The local residents group apparently stated that NR had acted in a ‘cowardly fashion’ and that the locals were treated with contempt also that they were; “the best known gates in the country…. known throughout the world”. Network Rail stated that the change, was part of a £100m upgrade of the line.

Frinton was/is a bastion of conservatism and the town resisted the opening of a fish and chip shop until 1992 and didn't allow a pub to open until 2000. Arcades, amusements and ice cream stalls are still banned from the seafront and as many as one of five of the town's 5,500 inhabitants are members of the resident’s association.

One quotation from a member of the association states: "The gates provide a little enclave, it keeps us away from the madhouse. We want to protect our little bit of England."

Allegedly, a sign at Liverpool Street showing the platforms for the Harwich  - Hook of Holland Boat trains was tampered with to read:

"Harwich for the continent….. Frinton for the incontinent."

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

The first two shots of the 307's above are not quite what they seem, it appears that the leading unit is a 307, but the second one has a Wolverton cab, so is probably a 305...

Thanks again Dave.

Andy G

Today's preserved railway photos are from Embsay at various dates.

attachicon.gifEmbsay Barclay and motor trolley Aug 72 J 3027.jpg

Embsay Barclay and motor trolley Aug 72 J 3027

attachicon.gifEmbsay Sentinel British Tar Co and Peckett Aug 72 J3030.jpg

Embsay Sentinel British Tar Co and Peckett Aug 72 J3030

attachicon.gifEmbsay Peckett Foleshill and Sentinel Ann and Hudswell Clarke Slugh Estates 5 Mar 75 J4205.jpg

Embsay Peckett Foleshill and Sentinel Ann and Hudswell Clarke Slough Estates 5    Mar 75 J4205

attachicon.gifEmbsay Hunslet Darfield No 1 Aug 83 C6247.jpg

Embsay Hunslet Darfield No 1     Aug 83 C6247

attachicon.gifEmbsay Hunslet Primrose No 2 6th Aug 84 C6598.jpg

Embsay Hunslet Primrose No 2 6th Aug 84 C6598

David

A correction to J3030 if I may David. The loco on the right is WG Bagnall 2178/1921. Delivered new to the Salsette Trombay Railway, Bombay and subsequently returned to Britain working at Alpha Cement and finally Shipton on Cherwell, Oxfordshire. Unfortunately it was sold to a private individual who subsequently scrapped it.

• RMweb Gold

The first two shots of the 307's above are not quite what they seem, it appears that the leading unit is a 307, but the second one has a Wolverton cab, so is probably a 305...

Thanks again Dave.

Andy G

Thanks Andy.

I'm now wondering how often I've looked at the photos over the years and never noticed the cabs.

David

A mixed bag from Derbyshire this afternoon.

attachicon.gifRomiley Sunday wrong line working Manchester to Nottingham 29th June 69 C021.jpg

Romiley Sunday wrong line working from Manchester to Nottingham train 29th June 69 C021

attachicon.gifGrindleford near from rear of Class 104 Manchester to Derby May 71 C599.jpg

Grindleford near from rear of Class 104 Manchester to Derby May 71 C599

attachicon.gifHindlow Class 25s 7601 and 7606 up April 72 J2906.jpg

Hindlow Class 25s 7601 and 7606 up April 72 J2906

attachicon.gifHall Lane Junction Sept 76 J5449.jpg

Hall Lane Junction Sept 76 J5449

attachicon.gifStanton Iron Works level crossing Sentinel April 78 J5987.jpg

Stanton Iron Works level crossing Sentinel April 78 J5987

David

Really nice set of photos there David. Thank you very much for sharing with us. i especially like the last on at Stanton Iron Works. Nice Sentinel shunter and some 16T minerals with not a TOPS panel in sight. Lovely!

Paul J.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks again Dave.

Andy G

Hi Andy

I would go for class AM8 not AM5. AM5s were more associated with the Bishops Stortford line. 308s were more common on the Colchester line. As for a AM5 or AM8 coupled to a Southend unit on the Southend Branch was not that common.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Derbyshire photos. In the second one, the unit on the other line is a class 110 Calder Valley unit. I like that signal box in J5449 at Hall Lane Juntion. It would make fine model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

A mixed bag from Derbyshire this afternoon.

attachicon.gifRomiley Sunday wrong line working Manchester to Nottingham 29th June 69 C021.jpg

Romiley Sunday wrong line working from Manchester to Nottingham train 29th June 69 C021

attachicon.gifGrindleford near from rear of Class 104 Manchester to Derby May 71 C599.jpg

Grindleford near from rear of Class 104 Manchester to Derby May 71 C599

attachicon.gifHindlow Class 25s 7601 and 7606 up April 72 J2906.jpg

Hindlow Class 25s 7601 and 7606 up April 72 J2906

attachicon.gifHall Lane Junction Sept 76 J5449.jpg

Hall Lane Junction Sept 76 J5449

attachicon.gifStanton Iron Works level crossing Sentinel April 78 J5987.jpg

Stanton Iron Works level crossing Sentinel April 78 J5987

David

anymore of the staveley area david  in the future David would be great as i use to work there in 70s and brings back memories recently went there to see all the track gone and is a  future HS2 spur line  thank you :)

• RMweb Gold

anymore of the staveley area david  in the future David would be great as i use to work there in 70s and brings back memories recently went there to see all the track gone and is a  future HS2 spur line  thank you :)

I think there may be a few but I haven't sorted that batch out yet as I still have a lot to do.

David

• Like 1