Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

24 minutes ago, russ p said:

Any idea why the second car appears to have its doors removed? 

It wasn't one the original PEP coaches, it was built after the unit entered departmental service

To Quote:

The new centre coach was equipped with a pantograph and main transformer for overhead 25kv AC power collection and this vehicle was painted blue, (ADB975430 remained in ‘silver’ livery). It also differed from the MS vehicles of the original PEP units in having only two pairs of double‑opening sliding doors along the bodyside as opposed to three on the PEP coaches. It also had a diesel generator to power the instrumentation during tests and was just a bare shell and fitted out as a workshop

https://www.bloodandcustard.com/BR-4PEP.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

It wasn't one the original PEP coaches, it was built after the unit entered departmental service

To Quote:

The new centre coach was equipped with a pantograph and main transformer for overhead 25kv AC power collection and this vehicle was painted blue, (ADB975430 remained in ‘silver’ livery). It also differed from the MS vehicles of the original PEP units in having only two pairs of double‑opening sliding doors along the bodyside as opposed to three on the PEP coaches. It also had a diesel generator to power the instrumentation during tests and was just a bare shell and fitted out as a workshop

https://www.bloodandcustard.com/BR-4PEP.html

I didn't realise they lasted as long as they did. Interesting they had 7 step westcode brakes. When you look at a westcode unit there are two EP valves on them which allows for the later 3 step brake but there is a blank casting for a 3rd that would have enabled 7 step braking.  Obviously these units had the 3rd EP valve fitted 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s of Barrow Hill and Staveley, with three around Beighton. In C4337, at Beighton, with 37201, on a northbound freight train, on the Midland line, in January, 1979, you have captured a superb portrait shot of the 37, in what will have been a lull in the weather before the very cold winter got fully going.

The photo’s of the Great Eastern, between Chelmsford and Colchester at Hatfield Peverel and Marks Tey, are a superb selection, and in those of Hatfield Peverel, a reminder, from the snow in places, on the ground, of what had been a very cold and snowy Easter. The last photo’ at Marks Tey, with 31122, on an up parcels working in October, 1975, is a delightful shot of the 31, which has a slightly askew letter blind in the four character headcode box.

In the black and white photo’s of Trumpington Junction, just south of Cambridge, from 1948/9, you have a truly excellent and historical set of photo’s. Thank you for posting them. In JVol7373, the B17, is actually a rebuild, class B2, 61617 Ford Castle, which is heading a down express passenger train, in c1949. It hauling a quite mixed rake of carriages with the first one of GER origin. 

Finally, the photo’s of the Woodhead line at the western end of the Woodhead tunnel, are a delightful set, and in J6868, of two 76’s, 76013 and 76022 with BR crest, running westbound, light engines, in April, 1980, that’s an excellent photo’, and I didn’t realise that the BR crest had survived for so long.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Market65 said:

In the black and white photo’s of Trumpington Junction, just south of Cambridge, from 1948/9, you have a truly excellent and historical set of photo’s. Thank you for posting them. In JVol7373, the B17, is actually a rebuild, class B2, 61617 Ford Castle, which is heading a down express passenger train, in c1949. It hauling a quite mixed rake of carriages with the first one of GER origin. 
With warmest regards,

Rob.

Rob,

Many thanks as always for your comments.  I've altered the caption on Ford Castle to B2,  I should have known that one.  The real Ford Castle is in Northumberland and I know it well, it was a field study centre for many years and I often took parties there from the school where I worked.

David

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, LMS2968 said:

A clean WD! Wow!

I don't think I've ever seen a photo of one of those with a 6 - prefixed number before. in Jvil 7373, Ford Castle appears to be carrying a stopping passenger disc. Looking at all those ex - GER vehicles in the train, I'm not surprised.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It was a couple of years later we visited the W&LlLR. We walked up from Welshpool to Sylfaen (if I remember correctly) as at that time the trains did not run to Raven Square in Welshpool. I think we took a bus back as I photographed one outside Welshpool main line station. A bit different now.

And a great view from the top of the Rigi. I must have been looking in the wrong direction when I changed trains there. And I think I only took photos of the station by the lake before I took a ship back to Lucern.

Jonathan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s an excellent set of photo’s of the Midland Railway Line from Nottingham to Lincoln. In the first photo’ at Staythorpe, of a class 31, on a down oil train, in April, 1980, that is a superb shot of your Dad took of the 31. In J2159, at Lincoln St. Marks, with the tail end of a goods train, hauled by a class 03, from Lincoln Central, in July, 1970, your Dad has captured not only the guard on the rear veranda of the brake van, but also someone else - an inspector?

The photo’s of the Welshpool and Llanfair Railway, on 1st September, 1969, are a delightful selection, with C103, at Llanfair Caereinion, of No 1, The Earl, you have captured a superb sideways portrait shot of the locomotive.

In the Switzerland photo’s, you have a most atmospheric set, from the 10th August, 1988, which captures, perfectly, the top of the Rigi. In C10672, from Rigi Kulm, looking down on Arth Goldau station, that is a stunning view which is truly beautiful.

Finally, the photo’s of Nuneaton, Dudswell and Atherstone, are a superb selection, with J2641, at Nuneaton, of a class 85, on a down express passenger train, in May, 1971, showing how the WCML was in the early Seventies, and the Mkl BG is still on B1 bogies which would be giving a fairly rough ride. The last photo’, at Atherstone, with a class 86, on a Euston to Manchester express, again in May, 1971, shows that once again, the Mkl BG is on those B1 bogies.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. That’s a fascinating set of photo’s of Heaton Depot, from the private visit on the 20th January, 1990. In J10619, of 37071, in engineers grey livery, on a  down permanent way train, the 37 appears to have half in a satin finish, with the othe half in a matt finish. Most intriguing.

The photo’s of the Midland, at Cononley, and then at Skipton, are full of interest and atmosphere, with the first photo’ at Cononley, with  LMS Class 5, 44884, on a down parcels train, in June, 1967, being a classic track level shot of the English steam railway despite the engine being so uncared for.

In the photo’s of Innsbruck, in Austria, looking at typical trains in the station on 5th August, 1991, you have captured some superb views of the station in it’s typically Austrian setting. In C16160, of 1161 002, you have captured how delightful the locomotive was, especially after what would appear to be a recent repaint.

Finally, the photo’s of Newark and Retford, are excellent and full of nostalgia. In the last photo’ at Retford, GC, with a dirty looking class 105 unit on a Grimsby to Sheffield service, in February, 1972, not only is the destination indicator wrong, but the two character headcode box is unlit along with the marker lights.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveF said:

1619952465_Innsbruck40100105thAug91C16150.jpg.013d3150303d13a6c3bd045fcdfa567b.jpg

1543314182_Innsbruck1020004atrearofRollenderLandstrassefromBrennerPass5thAug91C16155.jpg.ce46b5b88e7d0ed08a57fb0e43ea2478.jpg

Did anyone else think the first of these photos had just blue sky in the background until they looked closer? 

The second one will always be the ultimate Austrian loco to those of us in a very specific age bracket who played with Lego trains in the mid-1990s.

Great photos as always, thank you, David.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 2

Hi David,

Do you happen to have any photos of the crane, bogie bolster, tool van & GWR brake van in the photo below.

I'm looking to model the consist in 7mm and would appreciate any photos that will show any further detail and livery.

329526434_737278464382626_1441386276764970099_n.jpg.75afb2961d918dd81551dfdbbdcd503c.jpg

Regards

Chris 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, North Eastern said:

Hi David,

Do you happen to have any photos of the crane, bogie bolster, tool van & GWR brake van in the photo below.

I'm looking to model the consist in 7mm and would appreciate any photos that will show any further detail and livery.

329526434_737278464382626_1441386276764970099_n.jpg.75afb2961d918dd81551dfdbbdcd503c.jpg

Regards

Chris 

Have a look on Paul Bartlett's site as it looks like a Low Fell based crane and he has some photo's taken there.

• Like 1