Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

C1879; Interesting to see a loco-hauled service at Harwich Town, especially docked on top of a DMU! I wonder if there was an issue preventing running round at Parkeston Quay, where IIRC these trains normally terminated?

(Thanks again for your wonderful pictures and dedication in posting them David)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveF said:

Gravesend Class 415 5168 Charing Cross to Gillingham Nov 79 C4894

It's a down train on the up line because they often ran terminating services into Gravesend's down platform, and left the up platform for through trains in either direction. Ahead of the train, there are points to switch it back to the down line.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

A lovely bit of weathering in C4062.

Jonathan

I think you mean C4962 and yes it is well weathere.  It might lok a bit overdone on a model.d

David

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, 62613 said:

I wonder if Jvol4208 is a tulip special on its way to Spalding?

It could well be, I hadn't thought of that.

David

45 minutes ago, 62613 said:

I wonder if Jvol4208 is a tulip special on its way to Spalding?

25 minutes ago, DaveF said:

It could well be, I hadn't thought of that.

David

I wouldn't think so.  Spalding Tulip Parade did not start until 1959.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a superb set of photo’s of the Blyth and Tyne, and NCB, at Blyth west staiths sidings, and Lynemouth. In C4962, at Lynemouth, with NCB, ex-BR, class 14, 31, in February, 1980, that is a delightful portrait shot of the locomotive at rest.

The photo’s of the Southern, in the south east are full of interest, and C4894, at Gravesend, with class 415, 5168, on a Charing Cross to Gillingham service, in November, 1979, is a view that is a bit different, from above, and it shows that clearances on the line at that location were tight.

In the black and white photo’s of Lincoln Central, in 1953 and 1953, are excellent and of historical value. I think you are right, for it must be impossible to say for sure whether the photo’s given as 1953 are from that year or 1951. They are superb regardless.

In the last two photo’s, of B17, 61641, Gayton Hall, departing on an express passenger train from Yarmouth to York, in May, 1951, JVol7133, and JVol6100, going by the boy spotters, and the lighting etc., I think the photo’s could be of the same train as it makes a rousing departure from the station.

Finally, the photo’s of a miscellany of diesel hydraulics, you have posted a superb selection, with the first one, at Exeter St. Davids, of D817, Foxhound, on an Exeter to Waterloo service, and 1017, Western Warrior, in June, 1971, you have captured a delightful three quarter portrait shot of the Warship, with it’s characteristic ‘Sad Eyes’ front end. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. That is a fantastic set of photo’s of the Sleaford to Skegness line. In J3000, at Sleaford, looking east, in August, 1972, that’s an excellent view, plus the electric lampshade is exactly the same design as those that were in use, latterly, at Market Weighton station. 

In J3145, at Wyberton level crossing, with a Sunbeam Rapier on the crossing, in February, 1973, that’s a splendid view of the box and gates. On both of the gates, nearest to the camera is the number 91. I wonder if that was a lever number? I’ve not seen gates numbered in that way before.

The photo’s of the London Tilbury and Southend line, between Chalkwell and Shoeburyness, are full of interest, and in C2024, at Thorpe Bay, with 302245, on an up passenger service, in May, 1975, you can see what I’m guessing must be a secondman in that side of the cab. And what a rainstorm in the next photo’ of 302281, on another up passenger service in C2025. 

In the black and white photo’s of B1s at Liverpool Street, from around 1948, with one at Bethnal Green, are a remarkable selection, and thank goodness your Dad was able to take photo’s of his day out on the footplate. They are an invaluable reminder of just how much things have changed since the late 1940’s. In JVol7259, at Liverpool Street, with a close up of the front of B1, 1286, on a Liverpool St. to Yarmouth service, prior to Dad's footplate ride, in 1948, you can seen much detail, including the way B1 was hyphenated to B-1.

Finally, the photo’s of the High Dyke branch, with one of the British Steel line, when the iron quarries were still working, are an excellent set, and J3219, at Skillington and Sproxton road level crossing, with ore loading, and also class 31, 5675, in June, 1973, is a fascinating look at that ore loading taking place.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DaveF said:

1378940243_nbWybertonlevelcrossingSunbeamRapieroncrossingFeb73J3145.jpg.20a413e29e00c9626c8c497d910636fe.jpg

Wyberton level crossing Sunbeam Rapier on crossing Feb 73 J3145

2 hours ago, Market65 said:

In J3145, at Wyberton level crossing, with a Sunbeam Rapier on the crossing, in February, 1973, that’s a splendid view of the box and gates. On both of the gates, nearest to the camera is the number 91. I wonder if that was a lever number? I’ve not seen gates numbered in that way before.

The number 91 is most likely the crossing number of which there were hundreds in Lincolnshire.  The signal box probably only had a 15 lever frame as it only controlled about half a dozen signals and the crossing gates.

Of note are the pivoting red lamps on the right hand side gates.  The car that has just crossed on the A52 is about to carry on turning 70 degrees on to Sleaford Road towards Boston.  To the left of that car the A1121 Boston to Sleaford road formed a 'T' junction.  As the A52 was the 'main road', when the crossing gates were closed to road traffic the gate lamps pivoted in the direction of Boston along Sleaford Road and were not square on to the gates.  You could see these lamps from quite a distance away at night time when leaving Boston.

Today the road is much wider and the A52/A1121 junction is now a mini roundabout.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

30 minutes ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

Now if that doesn't shout "model me!" I don't know what does 😎

Box file, 1 yard of Peco, Airfix 31, Matchbox 28d Mack dumper, Dapol 16 ton minerals wagon kits, Hornby hut and your done!

Edited by 33C
Added detail.
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, DaveF said:

Places along the Sleaford to Skegness line this morning, noit many trains though.

1816448273_jSleafordClass40oncraneandballastwagonsJan77J5611.jpg.b9aab03d88982b69c8d2a467da868327.jpg

There's not just the class 40 here, there is a class 31 lurking beyond the furthest brake van, and what I would have thought was a class 03 towards Sleaford West signal box. But the cab roof profile looks more class 04, which I'm sure had all gone by that year....

I always find the High Dyke photos interesting, having used many of the back roads around the area to avoid Grantham and Melton Mowbray in the early 2000s, and they give some raison d'etre to the features and structures of that area. During those years, the somewhat hazardous flat road junction on the A1 just north of Colsterworth was modified and the High Dyke railway bridge over the A1 allowed the dual carriageway crossing point to be removed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

There's not just the class 40 here, there is a class 31 lurking beyond the furthest brake van, and what I would have thought was a class 03 towards Sleaford West signal box. But the cab roof profile looks more class 04, which I'm sure had all gone by that year....

I always find the High Dyke photos interesting, having used many of the back roads around the area to avoid Grantham and Melton Mowbray in the early 2000s, and they give some raison d'etre to the features and structures of that area. During those years, the somewhat hazardous flat road junction on the A1 just north of Colsterworth was modified and the High Dyke railway bridge over the A1 allowed the dual carriageway crossing point to be removed.

Thanks for finding the extra locos!

As for the High Dyke photos, I used to cross the A1 at that flat junction north of Colsterworth twice a day going to and from work from 1972 to 1974, even then it could sometimes be difficult.  In those days the junction at Colsterworth itself  (by the garage) was no better as there was no bridge over the A1.

It is much harder now to work out where the quarries were and the routes of the railways as so much of the land has been landscaped - rather like the colliery sites and railways up here in the north east.

I do notice from Google Earth that Buckminster, where I lived with my parents at the time has not changed too much.

David

• Like 4