Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a superb selection of photo’s of the Talyllyn Railway  from August, 1969, and the 10th August, 1979. In C4779, at Nant Gwernol, with Fletcher Jennings, 1, Talyllyn, you have taken a well composed portrait shot of the locomotive.

That’s a great set of photo’s of the ECML in Northumberland at Morpeth and Stobswood. In C5473, at Stobswood, with Class 55, 55018, on a down service, in August, 1981, you have taken a superb photo’ of the Deltic. It can be seen that the first two Mkl’s are still riding on BR1 bogies.

What an excellent selection of photo’s of Great Ponton from 1968 to 1971. In J2449, of Class 31, 5674, on a down train of iron ore, in April, 1971, your Dad has captured a superb view of the train with the 31 in green with full yellow cab ends. 

Finally the photo’s of the Blyth and Tyne are a delightful set. In the last photo’ at Winning, with 37077, running light engine, on the 29th July, 1987, you have captured an excellent view of the 37.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

Considering how many photos you post with this area under water, I might beg to differ...

54 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

They were all taken on the same day!??!

The Trent is a river which floods regularly but it doesn't often feature in the news even though some residential areas of Nottingham used to flood quite often.  Almost every year the fields by Radcliffe on Trent flooded but often only for a few days as the river level usually dropped as quickly as it rose.    Much further down the Trent on the tidal section north of Gainsborough a friend's farm buildings have the various flood levels recorded by by lines cut into the wall with dates.  Fortunately the farmhouse was built on a patch of land a few feet higher than the rest of the buildings.

David

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, DaveF said:

Back to Northumberland.  We start on the ECML with 66176 at Ulgham Lane crossing  and then take the line to the east at Butterwell Junction which passes Butterwell loader (now gone) and then past Linton to Potland Burn coal loading site.  Again this is now closed but in 2012 when the photos were taken it was in use.

6N14, Tyne Yard - Potland Burn

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great set of photo’s of Radcliffe on Trent. In C3357, with a Class 25 working an eastbound grain train, in May, 1977, you have taken a well composed shot from f the train, and the left hand blind can be seen to have gone missing.

The photo’s from Northumberland, on the 28th February, 2012, starting on the ECML with 66176 at Ulgham Lane crossing, then past Linton to Potland Burn coal loading site, are a most fascinating selection. In DSC_6742, of 66176, at Linton, you have taken a superb shot of the locomotive.

That’s a tremendous set of photo’s of The London Tilbury and Southend around Laindon. In C4296, of 302260, on a Fenchurch St. to Shoeburyness service, in February, 1979, you have taken an excellent photo’ of the train. This and the following photo’, of the same train, show how extremely cold and snowy that winter was, and a major snowstorm dumped over 10 inches of level snow, with ten foot snowdrifts, in the middle of that February. 

Finally, the photo’s of Peaks on the Midland at Normaton on Soar and Ratcliffe on Soar, just north of Loughborough, are a superb selection. In the first photo’, at Normanton on Soar, with Class 44, D4, on a long down train of empties, in March, 1967, your Dad has captured a truly stunning view of the train. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

4 hours ago, DaveF said:

One of the photos shows an HST on a special from Shoeburyness to York and back which travelled via Stratford and around North London. 

I believe it was given special dispensation to run at 100mph between Upney and Upminster on that occasion as the road was rated at that but the wires are/were not.

• Informative/Useful 3

It's always an interesting experience crossing the Trent viaduct at Radcliffe when the fields are flooded. I commuted from Grantham to Nottingham for about 5 years and it flooded once or twice a year.

The viaduct itself is a bit odd, having a junction in mid air with the newer viaduct on the colliery branch to Cotgrave (most of which is now walkable - a very cheap footpath conversion as you walk on the old ballast).

The city tends not to flood since they built the sluices up stream from the viaduct. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, DaveF said:

I have sometimes wondered how the clearances were checked for it.

My memory might be letting me down but I recall that C3 (HST, Mk3s) rolling stock was permitted to run on routes cleared for C1 rolling stock (BR Mk1, 2s, etc.). The main exception was 3rd-rail electric lines, which needed the bogies to be fitted with short swing links.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

The far north of Lincolnshire at New Holland Pier on the River Humber, on the branch to Barton on Humber.

NewHollandPierClass114passtoBartononHumber11thAug77C3466.jpg.2a32a86dd9f0437bfc592eafac308fcf.jpg

New Holland Pier Class 114 pass to Barton on Humber 11th Aug 77 C3466

NewHollandPierClass114E56026toCleethorpes28thMarch78C3753.jpg.fb0d3f993a4c9a4304de35ec87fda9dd.jpg

New Holland Pier Class 114 E56026 to Cleethorpes 28th March 78 C3753

NewHollandPierClass114toBartononHumber28thMarch78C3756.jpg.b2b7ddfaae030848787155e50c345f6c.jpg

New Holland Pier Class 114 to Barton on Humber28th March 78 C3756

NewHollandPierClass114toBartononHumber28thMarch78C3755.jpg.f979f99aaeb1029055148024e1b71ec9.jpg

New Holland Pier Class 114 to Barton on Humber28th March 78 C3756

NewHollandPierFarringford28thMarch78C3754.jpg.a4cc9feecce51872636e822014f27954.jpg

New Holland Pier Farringford 28th March 78 C3754  The ex Isle of Wight car ferry which replaced the paddle steamers near the end of the ferry service.

NewHollandPierHumberbridgefromtrain11thAug77C3464.jpg.03078ab9dca1f6a849339bba022244b5.jpg

New Holland Pier Humber bridge from train 11th Aug 77 C3464  Once this was complete the ferry closed.

Davidvid

In 1976 I participated in a school railway society trip to Frodingham depot and Doncaster works incorporating a journey across the Humber from New Holland  onboard Tattersall Castle. The ferry journey took ages as it was low tide. 

I assume the coal wagons stabled at New Holland provided fuel for the ferry

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, coronach said:

In 1976 I participated in a school railway society trip to Frodingham depot and Doncaster works incorporating a journey across the Humber from New Holland  onboard Tattersall Castle. The ferry journey took ages as it was low tide. 

I assume the coal wagons stabled at New Holland provided fuel for the ferry

I believe so - though Farringford was diesel powered but at that time I think one of the paddle steamers was still used some of the time, hence the coal supply.

David

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coronach said:

She's still moored on the River Thames just above Waterloo Bridge doing grand service providing liquid refreshment aplenty ..........................

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 4