RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, mullie said:

Dave

I've been meaning to ask for a while, were some of your Brentwood bank photos taken from the Seven Arches bridge? You might know the road as it had a pub of the same name in it, came off Shenfield common if I remember rightly and  there was an entrance to Hartswood park in it? The position looks familiar to me as I always stopped for a look over the bridge when I used to go to my early evening piano lesson in a house just over the bridge. It was only a mile from school to the lesson but a four mile cycle ride home in all weathers.

Blue and grey Great Eastern photos are a real blast from the past, really enjoy all your photos.

Martyn

I think that is the place but I don't think I ever really knew the name.  I use to pass through Brentwood from time to time and just found a place to take photos!

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great set of photo’s of Tyseley in September, 1970. J2364, of LSWR T9, 120, is a lovely portrait shot of the locomotive.

The photo’s from around Tilbury are a delightful selection. The last one of the BR ferry, Catherine, in April, 1979, is an enchanting photo’ of the ferry. It is full of interest and nostalgia.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

I used to get the Tilbury ferry pretty much daily '74 to "77, bit of a trek thinking back, good old Epb Emu on the Sidcup / Dartford loop to Gravesend, walk to the river, over on the boat, then Eastern National Bristol Lodekka ( route no370? ) towards Grays to finish, then the reverse again at end of day. 

I pretty much always remember the boat Edith as the main squeeze for this though, Catherine seemed to be a rarity, though doubtless went over on her on occasion .... bearing in mind this was the thick end of half a century ago now 😳

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Porkscratching said:

I used to get the Tilbury ferry pretty much daily '74 to "77, bit of a trek thinking back, good old Epb Emu on the Sidcup / Dartford loop to Gravesend, walk to the river, over on the boat, then Eastern National Bristol Lodekka ( route no370? )

The 370 bus from Tilbury to Grays was a London Country route, worked in the mid-70s by a small batch of Bristol VRs allocated to Grays garage. They were later sold to Bristol / Badgerline.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

The 370 bus from Tilbury to Grays was a London Country route, worked in the mid-70s by a small batch of Bristol VRs allocated to Grays garage. They were later sold to Bristol / Badgerline.

It used to grind it's way past Tilbury town over a sort of fly over type thing, then through Chadwell st Mary, I got off just before Deneholes roundabout. A bit later I had a motorbike and used to stick a whole 37p worth of petrol in the tank at the garage on Dh's roundabout, I believe there's still an Esso/BP whatever incarnation of the petrol station there to this day. 

• Like 6

On 05/11/2023 at 20:50, DaveF said:

I think that is the place but I don't think I ever really knew the name.  I use to pass through Brentwood from time to time and just found a place to take photos!

David

One of the names from my childhood.

We used to drive down England every summer from Scunny, taking the Dartford tunnel, on our way to camping in Spain.

Puckeridge, Bishop's Stortford, Harlow,  Brentwood, Chipping Ongar, South Ockendon, Tunnel.

Then a stop at Farthing Corner services, before Dover and a British Railways ferry to Boulogne.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of Great Eastern trains at Church Lane crossing near Ingatestone. The first one of a Class 47, on an up Norwich to Liverpool St. express, in November, 1974, is a most excellent photo’ of the train. 

The black and white photo’s from around Chester, are a superb set, and all of such historical value. JM001, of an LMS Class 5 on a passenger train, in c1951, is a delightful photo’ and apart from the train, you can see  the bridge, taking the railway over either a road or a river/canal, and how the tracks were laid over it on beams. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great set of photo’s from the 1980’s at Carlisle. The first photo’ of 86232, Harold MacMillan, on the Clansman, from Euston to Inverness, on the 27th October, 1984, is superb photo’, and the 86 is running with only one light working. 

That’s a fascinating selection of photo’s of Healey Mills and Mossend South marshalling yards. The first photo’ of Healey Mills, with Class 08, D3361, in April, 1968, as taken by your Dad, is an excellent photo’, and shows just how big that Healey Mills was.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/11/2023 at 17:03, DaveF said:

A set of Dad's black and white photos around Chester, a place I am not very familiar with.

JVol5056 and JVol5055 are taken at the North Wales / Birkenhead end of Chester General station, the signal box is Chester No.4, the others are taken from the city walls which is a good walk from the station, the signal box in JVol2134 is Crane Street and the view is towards Saltney Junction / North Wales, as is JVol7178, the other views are towards Chester.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of the ECML at Essendine on Stoke Bank, and at Dry Doddington, north of Grantham. C3119, at Dry Doddington, with a Class 55, on an up express, in December, 1976, you have taken a well composed shot of the train in the freezing cold conditions.

The photo’s of Shirebrook, Shireoaks and Snaith, are a superb set. The last photo’ at Snaith, with Class 37, D6740, on an eastbound light engine movement, despite the brake van - light engine movements could have a brake van according to a fireman friend, in August, 1967, which is an excellent photo’ taken by your Dad. 

It can also be seen that both running lines are of flat bottom rail, except for the level crossing where bullhead rail, on both lines is retained.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, DaveF said:

Essendine Class 55 up Saturday Yorkshire Pullman Dec 74 C1840

55022 ROYAL SCOTS GREY

10 hours ago, DaveF said:

Dry Doddington Class 55 up Dec 76 C3119

55012 CREPELLO

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Pilotman said:

55012 CREPELLO

This would, probably, have been one of the last photographs of "CREPELLO" with dominos in the headcode panel. On the 20th of the month she went into works, where the headcode panels were plated over and the dominos replaced with marker lights.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s to the east of Middlesbrough at Redcar, Marske and Skinningrove. C6492, at Redcar Central, looking west, in April, 1984, is a superb photo’ of the trainshed. 

The East Anglia Miscellany, with photo’s from Walberwick, Felixstowe and Croxton, are a delightful set. J3121, at Croxton, with Class 40, 258, on a Newcastle to Norwich service, in October, 1972, is a superb and well composed photo’ by your Dad. And it’s interesting to see the same train going away in the next photo’. It has a most intriguing formation of two BG’s, two TSO’s or SK’s, two CK’s and a bogie GUV.  I’m not sure if you would get away with that formation of carriages on a model!

With warmest regards,

Rob.