RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

You do seem to have taken a lot of photos during snowy weather, the photos of Great Eastern and LTSR electrics during the 70s and 80s bring back a lot of memories and for some reason it is the snowy ones that are the most evocative.

I would still have been at school, I suspect a lot of my travelling was to get supplies for my music lessons, something I needed to go to Romford, Chelmsford or Southend for from Brentwood, it gave an excuse to travel by train and my parents were happy to let me regardless of the weather.

Great photos as always, thanks for posting.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, mullie said:

You do seem to have taken a lot of photos during snowy weather, the photos of Great Eastern and LTSR electrics during the 70s and 80s bring back a lot of memories and for some reason it is the snowy ones that are the most evocative.

I would still have been at school, I suspect a lot of my travelling was to get supplies for my music lessons, something I needed to go to Romford, Chelmsford or Southend for from Brentwood, it gave an excuse to travel by train and my parents were happy to let me regardless of the weather.

Great photos as always, thanks for posting.

I used to like going out in snow, either on foot or in the car.  These days I am a little more sensible, at 74 my balance is not quite as good!

The Laindon ones might have been taken on a walk - I lived just over 10 minutes from the station or I might have just stopped for a few minutes while driving to work.

David

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s of Carisle mainly on the 27th October, 1987 with one from 1985. C9204, of 47450, on the 27th October, 1987, is an excellent portrait shot the large logo 47.

The photo’s from around Laindon, on the London Tilbury and Southend Railway, are a superb selection. C3541, of Class 302, 302242, on a Shoeburyness to Fenchurch St. service, in August, 1977, you have taken a well composed photo’ on what must have been a warm day going by the driver with just his shirt on.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great set of photo’s, from the late 1970’s, of the Tramway Museum at Crich. C4815, of Paisley, 68, in August, 1979, is a truly superb photo’ of the tram, with the driver in a typical pose on the controls.

The photo’s of Pilmoor, in 1967, are an excellent selection. The first one of Class 47, D1669, on a down service, in February, 1967, is a well composed photo’ by your Dad, and shows the train was only composed of four Mkl’s.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, John Besley said:

Nice, always like photos of footplate crew, what cap badge has the fireman got, the driver's lost his badge

It doesn't look like a normal railwayman's badge.  Is it from the armed forces or some organisation?

David

• RMweb Gold

Regarding BSC_1180, another example of ancient "long gone" stock - except on preserved railways.

Your archive is full of such "Time" snap shots.

Kev.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

It doesn't look like a normal railwayman's badge.  Is it from the armed forces or some organisation?

David

He had a sprig of heather next the badge, which and the shape of the regimental crest makes me think that it’s The Black Watch.

//Simon

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, beast66606 said:

66715 was on a Doncaster - Tyne Dock move.

Many thanks for the information.

It must have got a bit lost as Cramlington is quite a way north of Tyne Dock!

David

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Many thanks for the information.

It must have got a bit lost as Cramlington is quite a way north of Tyne Dock!

David

I've found a further working on 17/08 - Tyne Dock to Tyne Yard as 0S48 - 6S48 was a Tyne Yard to Mossend, probably no traffic at Tyne so it was running light to Mossend to bring a train back - which would make it's move 0S48, 10:13, Tyne Yard - Mossend.

In my defence it was at Doncaster on 16/08 and then moved to Tyne Dock for first thing on 17/08 and was back again for first thing 18/08

• Like 3

23 hours ago, DaveF said:

Back to 1967 at Pilmoor, north of York on the ECML.

PilmoorClass47D1669downFeb67J776.jpg.bf76672848889b0caf2ae2f5705e56c3.jpg

Pilmoor Class 47 D1669 down Feb 67 J776  

Great photos as always - these late 60s/early 70s photos with their transition liveries and such items as telegraph posts and lines are very evocative of the era. In J776, the class 47 is not a namer (I’d like to say it doesn’t have erstwhile GW paraphernalia like those odd lamp brackets but I can’t see - definitely no route classification spot below the number though!!). Could it be D1969 or D1996 or similar? It’s got a shed code at the bottom of the cab side. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, beast66606 said:

I've found a further working on 17/08 - Tyne Dock to Tyne Yard as 0S48 - 6S48 was a Tyne Yard to Mossend, probably no traffic at Tyne so it was running light to Mossend to bring a train back - which would make it's move 0S48, 10:13, Tyne Yard - Mossend.

In my defence it was at Doncaster on 16/08 and then moved to Tyne Dock for first thing on 17/08 and was back again for first thing 18/08

Many thanks,  it makes perfect sense now.  Such light engine moves were not uncommon then when there was no traffic for part of a diagram.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s of Damdykes, on the 16th August, 2016. BSC_1180 of a Class 142, on a Metro Centre to Morpeth service, trsin, 2A06, at 10.28, is a beautifully composed photo’ which reveals there are hardly any passengers on the Pacer.

The photo’s of the Blyth and Tyne at Winning are a superb selection. C6458, of 37217, on a train of old ballast, in March, 1984, being a truly excellent portrait shot of the 37. It is interesting to see the treatment of the bufferbeam cowling. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1