Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. More terrific photo's tonight. That last one of Huddersfield warehouse and wagon hoist is absolutely modellable - love it! Also like that photo of the class 124 Trans-Pennine unit.

Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• Like 2

Thanks David. More excellent nostalgia, and D227 still has its nose end ladder.  

Edited; to add that the loco, at the time of the photo, was still 2 years away from its naming - Parthia.

Edited by jonny777

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's. Yes, I also like that photo' of D227. I also like that last photo', for it shows the original overhead catenary well, compared with the replacement that is now in use on the WCML.

All the best,

Market65.

Yes Market65, and the last photo also shows one of the harder weathering aspects to get correct on blue/grey Mk1 stock of the late 60s/early 70s; i.e. the 'bleaching' of the blue under each window, caused by the chemicals used when windows were cleaned individually (with a man and a long handled brush?).

• RMweb Premium

That picture of the 85 at Roade shows that brick overbridges are NOT just red or blue brick, but have all sorts of weathering and stains too.

Yet again more cracking images.

Thanks

Andy g

Hi, jonny777. Thank you, and the bleaching under the windows is a weathering aspect that I would really like to have a go at one day.

All the best,

Market65.

I did try this many years ago, (before weathering powders became popular), and I achieved a reasonable effect on a Lima Mk1 one bodyside. 

All I did was thin either white or very pale grey paint with white spirit, to a ratio of about one part paint to ten parts spirit. With a very small brush, I dabbed drops of this mixture carefully onto the narrow sills underneath the perspex "windows" while the bodyside was vertical and standing on a layer of tissues (or toilet paper), and just let the very thinned paint run down the sides. The white spirit dried leaving very thin streaks of white/pale grey. 

It took a few attempts to get the right effect, but at the time I thought it looked quite realistic. I thought I might still have the coach body to photograph for this thread, but I can't find it. I probably disposed of it when my modelling interest moved back 10 years from the late 60s to late 50s.

However, this method is probably a bit 'old hat' these days. 

Great shots of the Southend Victoria branch of the GE, many thanks, Dave.

I don’t suppose you ever managed to  get out to Southminster from Wickford? Or any shots of the nuclear trains (from Bradwell, loaded at Southminster) at the same time?

Thanks, again, inspiring stuff!

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Great shots of the Southend Victoria branch of the GE, many thanks, Dave.

I don’t suppose you ever managed to  get out to Southminster from Wickford? Or any shots of the nuclear trains (from Bradwell, loaded at Southminster) at the same time?

Thanks, again, inspiring stuff!

Best, Pete.

I have a few photos, I think at Fambridge, Althorne and near Battlesbridge but for some reason never did all the branch.  I never saw the flask trains either, but most of my photography then was at weekends.  The ones I do have will appear here in due course.

David

Yes Market65, and the last photo also shows one of the harder weathering aspects to get correct on blue/grey Mk1 stock of the late 60s/early 70s; i.e. the 'bleaching' of the blue under each window, caused by the chemicals used when windows were cleaned individually (with a man and a long handled brush?).

Some trains are still cleaned by a man (or woman, mustn't be sexist) with a brush and hose/power washer. Funny thing is they often miss the windows :scratchhead:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great photo's of Carlisle tonight. I particularly like the last one and the way in which the class 108 DMU has a light dusting of either brake dust or weathering.

All the best,

Market65.

Dave, Thanks for your reply re: Southminster Branch. I shall look forward to them in due course!

I must say that you have something for everyone and as I said before I’ve come across new (to me) locations that I have found fascinating - and others like Carlisle that I have not visited since the steam era, when I was a child.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like tonight's photo's very much indeed. That first one is indeed a class 122, and it is substituting for a class 120 driving car. J3908 is an excellent photo' of Inverness Welsh's Bridge signal box and the signal gantry. I also like J3899, of Dingwall, August, 1974. Lovely architecture.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

Thanks for the 2-Hap photo at Sheerness, David. I often wondered why some of those Ramsgate units were elusive, even after visits to many of the depots in the area. 

Now I have a clue why I never saw them all. I never thought to visit the branches.