Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Some taken on the ECML between High Dyke and Grantham this evening.  Yet again simply photos of what happened to turn up while Dad or I were out with a camera.

attachicon.gifm High Dyke Kestrel down ex pass Nov 69 C167.jpg

High Dyke Kestrel down ex pass Nov 69 C167

attachicon.gifm High Dyke Class 47 green D1893 Edinburgh - Kings Cross Nov 69 C168.jpg

High Dyke Class 47 green D1893 Edinburgh - Kings Cross Nov 69 C168

attachicon.gifn Great Ponton Class 47 1687 down parcels Nov 70 J2438.jpg

Great Ponton Class 47 1687 down parcels Nov 70 J2438

attachicon.gifn Great Ponton Class 47 up Nov 70 J2442.jpg

Great Ponton Class 47 up Nov 70 J2442

attachicon.gifq Grantham Class 46 192 up Motorail stock possibly used for car delivery Oct71 C736.jpg

Grantham Class 46 192 up Motorail stock possibly used for car delivery Oct71 C736

David

You say taken this evening, I wouldn't let out where you were as this time continuum would be besieged by enthusiasts!

Great photos as ever Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's today. Ulgham Lane and Butterwell continue to show how the railway is today.

The photo's of the ECML show a wonderful series of trains. I like that first one of Kestrel at High Dyke. Very atmospheric. The photo' of a 47 at Great Ponton, November, 1970, has as the third coach along one the three Mk1 Lounge Firsts to diagram 79. According to the book by Parkin, by the time of the photo', 14901/2 were working on the King's Cross to Bradford services - this might one of those workings.

Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Though one of the wagons bears the 'Motorail' plate, I'd suggest the train in C736 is an empty car-delivery train; 'Motorail stock was often used in these outside of the summer period. At the time there would have been workings for Ford from Dagenham to Wakefield, Gateshead and the Edinburgh area (Bathgate or Leith?); this is possibly one of these.

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's today. Ulgham Lane and Butterwell continue to show how the railway is today.

The photo's of the ECML show a wonderful series of trains. I like that first one of Kestrel at High Dyke. Very atmospheric. The photo' of a 47 at Great Ponton, November, 1970, has as the third coach along one the three Mk1 Lounge Firsts to diagram 79. According to the book by Parkin, by the time of the photo', 14901/2 were working on the King's Cross to Bradford services - this might one of those workings.

All the best,

Market65.

Many thanks for the information, please continue to add these useful gems of knowledge.

David

• RMweb Gold

Some taken on the ECML between High Dyke and Grantham for this evening.  Yet again simply photos of what happened to turn up while Dad or I were out with a camera.

attachicon.gifm High Dyke Kestrel down ex pass Nov 69 C167.jpg

High Dyke Kestrel down ex pass Nov 69 C167

attachicon.gifm High Dyke Class 47 green D1893 Edinburgh - Kings Cross Nov 69 C168.jpg

High Dyke Class 47 green D1893 Edinburgh - Kings Cross Nov 69 C168

attachicon.gifn Great Ponton Class 47 1687 down parcels Nov 70 J2438.jpg

Great Ponton Class 47 1687 down parcels Nov 70 J2438

attachicon.gifn Great Ponton Class 47 up Nov 70 J2442.jpg

Great Ponton Class 47 up Nov 70 J2442

attachicon.gifq Grantham Class 46 192 up Motorail stock possibly used for car delivery Oct71 C736.jpg

Grantham Class 46 192 up Motorail stock possibly used for car delivery Oct71 C736

Edited as I don't really have a time machine!

David

NURSE, THE SCREENS  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

With reference to the Chesterfield pics.

The Brush 4 on oils is probably 1884 as it has got the painted on 41A shedplate as 1531 in the previous picture.

Also the shunter is on it's day out from Barrow Hill, calling in on it's way to Chesterfield at Armytages, GC branch sidings and the wagon works on the Sheepbridge branch.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Pronounced Uff'em, ISTR?

You are quite right, Ulgham is only one of a number of place names up here which are not pronounced as they are spelt.

Some others include: 

Cowpen - Coopen

Cambois - Cammus

Alnmouth - The A, l and n are all said

Alnwick - usually the l and w are just about silent, but it must not be confused with the village of Anick, also in Northumberland.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

The Brush 4 on oils is probably 1884 as it has got the painted on 41A shedplate as 1531 in the previous picture.

Also the shunter is on it's day out from Barrow Hill, calling in on it's way to Chesterfield at Armytages, GC branch sidings and the wagon works on the Sheepbridge branch.

Mike.

I tried to make it in to that too Mike - as you say given the shed plate 1884 would be a better fit

Cheer

Phil

J6531 - what working do you think? It's July, and it's Mk1s, so could it have been a Skegness-London, of which there were still summer Sats workings late 70s? 

J4011 - him on the right looks grumpy, while one the lads on the left has the typical bag for the spotter of the day  

• RMweb Gold

J6531 - what working do you think? It's July, and it's Mk1s, so could it have been a Skegness-London, of which there were still summer Sats workings late 70s? 

J4011 - him on the right looks grumpy, while one the lads on the left has the typical bag for the spotter of the day  

The train was the early morning rain which started at Grantham to Kings Cross, for the commuter market which was just beginning to develop.    On this occasion Dad was using it to get to London early enough to visit a boatyard near Portsmouth and a sailmaker on the Isle of Wight.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's. Love those of the Ffestiniog line, always liked that line.

Grantham's photo's are great, especially like the 31's. The class 114 DMU has oval buffers for those who might be interested.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave.  Great photo's tonight. I really like the last one of Southend Victoria. It is a good overall shot of the station and the surroundings. How things have changed over the years!

All the best,

Market65.

Like the Southend Victoria picture looking at the car park and the wonderful assortment of scrap posing as cars makes me glad things have moved on although I did own a Cortina Mk3 as seen driving into the car park a good solid car .Did not use this line and so did not realise how big Victoria is .

• Like 1

Some interesting refuelling bowsers in background of the third shot. Three ex MOD 0854 and what looks like a couple of the Fodens used at the major airports in the 60s, pensioned off to places like Southend when fixed fuel lines became the norm at the major airports.

• RMweb Premium

snip<

, but it must not be confused with the village of Anick, also in Northumberland.

David

Home of the 'Rat' I think?? A great pub back in the day.

Back on topic, this is one of the most interesting threads on RMWeb - thank you so much for posting the photos, Dave!

• RMweb Gold

Mike.

After further research, including blowing up the picture, the loco is 1534, it's a 40B shedplate and the loco was allocated there at the time of the pic, and it's boiler fitted, which 1884 wasn't.

Inspector Mike.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

After further research, including blowing up the picture, the loco is 1534, it's a 40B shedplate and the loco was allocated there at the time of the pic, and it's boiler fitted, which 1884 wasn't.

Inspector Mike.

Thanks very much for finding this out, it is much appreciated.

David