Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a most impressive set of old photo’s of Chesterfield. In C600, with 47, 1789, on an up oil train in May, 1971, it is most interesting to see either the driver or secondman, in the doorway of the rear cab. I can’t help wondering what it was all about.

The random selection of photo’s of places beginning with the letter S are full of interest, and the first one at Skipton, with an ex-LMS Black 5, 45221, running light engine, in January, 1967, is a gem with the low sun making a truly atmospheric scene with all the smoke, steam and dark trackwork. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

On 25/05/2022 at 15:25, DaveF said:

946044805_CadebyTeddyBostonandPixieAug68P645.jpg.af0770c67acc3172b2f7a95372db3802.jpg

Cadeby Teddy Boston and Pixie Aug 68 P645

From time to time I'll use more of her photos, once I have got brought her photo catalogues home.

David

Lovely memories of your mum David.  I wish I would have known her !!!

That piccie of Teddy Boston on Pixie.  I could have been one of the boys.  I vaguely remember visiting Cadeby rectory with my dad back in the late 1960s.  I would have been six in 1968. 

Marvellous chap and his wife too.  I remember them visiting us in Wales once both clambering out of their mini !!!! 

• Like 4

I used to look over the Seven Arches Bridge along that stretch (too long ago to remember if you were at the same spot), my piano teacher lived not far from there so always went for a look.  You never knew what would come along. 

Class 37s on expresses, those were the days.

Thanks for posting,  real nostalgia trip. 

Martyn 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. That is a delightful selection of old photo’s of Shenfield on the GEML. In the last photo’ of 47130, on an up express passenger train in January, 1979, in the background, you can see another 47 waiting for 47130 to clear the section.

That’s an excellent set of photo’s of Killingworth from between Newcastle and Cramlington on the ECML. In C20445, with 142019, on a Morpeth to Newcastle service on the 11th August, 1995, it can be seen just how dirty the windscreen area of the cab is. It is just as though it has been missed by either the carriage washer or whoever washed it by hand. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

The Class 47 in the two photos is long time IM allocated 47219, not long time CF allocated 47239.

Many thanks again Andrew.

David

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great set of photo’s of the Bowes Railway near Gateshead. In J8254, at Springwell, in April, 1985, with Barclay, W.S.T., in the background, you can also see some of the very tight curves on that system. 
The ‘old photo’s’ at Brocklesby, are excellent, and in the first photo’, with a 114, DMU, formed of two twins, on a Cleethorpes to Sheffield service, in June, 1964, you can clearly see that the engines of the second DMBS are working before those of the first DMBS. I would think, that in moments, all the engines would be in sync with the four car unit powering away from the station - the brake is off from the position of the brake handle, and the driver has the throttle lever in the ‘full power’ position. It means first gear will have been selected.

Now, the Morpeth photo’s are as interesting as ever and in J10070, with a two car 101, on an empty coaching stock movement to the yard, in July, 1989, it can be seen all too clearly that the DMBS has a quite badly battered cab end. It must have been some shunting incidents over the years.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s an excellent set of ‘old’ photo’s of the Great Eastern Railway branch from Wickford to Southminster in Essex, showing class 104 and class 105 DMU’s. Those three car 104’s were originally four car sets for the NER of BR, but had their TSL’s removed when transferred away SE. The displaced TSL’s were often placed into class 110’s to make them up as four car sets, as well as between power cars in class 101 power twins to make them into three car sets.

Now, that first photo’ at Battlesbridge with a class 105, on a Wickford to Southminster service, in November, 1979, shows just how faint the bulbs were in the marker lights, unlike the over bright lights on the otherwise excellent Bachmann model.

The Carlisle photo’s are a great selection, and the last one of 156481 and a 142 on a Leeds to Carlisle service on the 29th August, 1995, is one which is very easy to answer your question of. The class 156 wins, hands down, for the excellent ride quality and table bays, etc.,  A friend of mine, back in the early 1990’s rode the Settle to Carlisle line frequently, and would come across many people who were ready to get on a 142 or 144. He would always, earnestly, direct them to travel in the 156. Those passengers were always most thankful.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. That’s an excellent set of ‘old’ photo’s of the Great Eastern Railway branch from Wickford to Southminster in Essex, showing class 104 and class 105 DMU’s. Those three car 104’s were originally four car sets for the NER of BR, but had their TSL’s removed when transferred away SE. The displaced TSL’s were often placed into class 110’s to make them up as four car sets, as well as between power cars in class 101 power twins to make them into three car sets.

Thanks for that extra information, Rob. It's funny, although that was a period when I was very well acquainted with what was going on - especially around the Eastern Region - I don't remember the 104s migrating down into Anglia, at all! I have fond memories of sitting at Cherry Tree, in your neck of the woods, watching the four car sets rattling up the coast and, also, around York and Leeds but my brain seems to have wiped any memories of them (in triples) in Essex. I shall have to check through my old notes and (surviving) stock books, from curiosity, to refresh my memory.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, DaveF said:

This afternoon some photos taken around North Blyth, Cambois and Winning on the Blyth and Tyne.  Also one which is only perhaps a railway photo taken of a Russian warship which was being scrapped when there was a ship scrapyard at North Blyth, now long gone.

482646939_Cambois56093Aug81C5539.jpg.45cfe30df564141bf7c3a2a9b2696c61.jpg

Cambois 56093 Aug 81 C5539

354695977_Winning56133upemptiesfromBlythpowerstationOct85J8443.jpg.7ca0418a7f65de7a8303bfbcad6fb945.jpg

Winning 56133 up empties from Blyth power station Oct 85 J8443

2103185331_Winning56133downcoalOct85J8446.jpg.e7aa3b1a625faad984f9ab4786d2a122.jpg

Winning 56133 down coal Oct 85 J8446

885040152_NorthBlythtrackonRussiandestroyerbeingscrapped19thMay90C14468.jpg.fef143ab82d6a9edbb78a06267b4daa0.jpg

North Blyth track on ship  being scrapped 19th May 90 C14468   A Russian ship, a destroyer I believe, or else a  Russian frigate.

1499746287_BlythBattleshipWharfGBRFClass66667113.jpg.1ce3ada768619305f3e7996a346ca9d0.jpg

Blyth Battleship Wharf GBRF Class 66 66711 7 Aug 14 DSC_3869  You cannot repeat this photo - the land I am standing had public access then, now it is a part of the working harbour.

David

Hi David,

Whichever type of ship it was, it was capable of laying contact mines, that's the type which have horns containing the primer and are attached by a cable to a heavy weight, called a sinker, which rests on the sea floor. The rails were for the carriage on which the mine and its sinker were transported from their storage to the stern of the ship. Hope you find this of interest,

Edited by Tankerman
left a couple of words out
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Tankerman said:

Hi David,

Whichever type of ship it was, it was capable of laying contact mines, that's the type which have horns containing the primer and are attached by a cable to a heavy weight, called a sinker, which rests on the sea floor. The rails were for the carriage on which the mine and its sinker were transported from their storage to the stern of the ship. Hope you find this of interest,

Many thanks for the information.  I think I should have known it from watching old war films when I was younger.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a delightful set of ‘old’ photo’s of Dent on the Settle and Carlisle line. In J3357, with Peak, class 45, number 29, on the up Thames Clyde Express from Glasgow to London St. Pancras, in August, 1973, you have a flurry of exhaust as the locomotive leans into the curve as it passes under the Coal Road bridge.

The photo’s from around North Blyth, Cambois and Winning on the Blyth and Tyne are an excellent selection, and C14468, at North Blyth, with track on a ship being scrapped, on the 19th May, 1990, is something which is very rarely seen, so thank you for posting the photo’.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1