Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Would it be entirely churlish of me to suggest this might not be GWR, but Midland? ISTR MP 100 is about Standish Junction, presumably measured from Derby.

It is definitely Haresfield but you are sort of right about the MR origin as by the time of Dave's pics the line had been reduced to double track and the milepost mileages were MR not GWR.  However the line nearest the camera is on ex GWR formation being part of that Company's [original] South Wales Mainline ;)

I did wonder whether to write Great Western or Midland, but finally decided on the former.

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A good selection of photo's of Leigh-on-Sea tonight. Some good examples of the 'everyday' railway here, with the class 302 EMU's going about their work in an unsung way.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Nice photos and nice location did you enjoy a plate of cockles with vinegar and black pepper? For a time the sea scouts occupied the old down station buildings until a road improvement scheme swept them away.

I used to eat cockles almost every time I went to Leigh on Sea.  

Nowadays they upset me - or perhaps cockles in the north east (when you see them) are different beasts.

David

I did wonder whether to write Great Western or Midland, but finally decided on the former.

David

My school was sited by the Gloucester-Cheltenham lines, which when I started were still 4 track with both MR and GWR in place. This led to the situation where there were two sets of mile posts showing distances to Derby and London. It also led to the situation that you travelled on the Down GWR line from Gloucester to Cheltenham, but if you were going that way on the Midland, you would be on the Up! I guess this will have happened in other places.

The school was newly opened in 1965 and at the induction day for new boys and parents in that summer, we were treated to the sight of 70045 passing heading south. My first recollection of a Brit. The head commented that the new school buildings were in every respect superior to the old, save the unfortunate passing distractions!

Edited by david.hill64
  • Like 1

Those 302s always seemed to have trouble with the "vertical hold" on the blinds at the front.

For the young'uns here, tellies used to have a button to twiddle on the back to adjust the vertical hold when your TV picture started "rolling".

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Dave, the image of 92008 on the turntable is very atmospheric. Black and white suits it better than a colour print in my opinion.

There is a small amount of colour, e.g. in the overhead warning sticker on the loco, but the original slide was almost monochromatic.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Like the breakdown train, particularly th mixed liveries - there's often a tendency for models of these kinds of trains to be very uniform, when really the different kinds of vehicles could be very mixed (especially older stock)

Also looks like the guard/crew have been a bit enthusiastic with the stove!

I think a yacht club also used the ship shown in #C3684 as well as one using the old station building.

There were (are?) 3 scout units based in the old town. 

Shoremead - renamed Clarendon were in an old wooden hut adjacent to the railway line and next to the Billet pub. Their boat yard was build on.

4/6th had a ramshackle building opposite - not sure what happened to them. 

3rds had a massive fund raiser and built a facility next to Bell Wharf. 

Each September there is the Old Leigh Regatta which brought all 3 units together and filled the old town. 

As for the pubs, The Smack, Peter Boat, Billet and The Ship (on the other side of the railway line), much hard-earned money spent in each! 

The local fishing families sent boats out to Dunkirk and are remembered in the graveyard in L-o-S.

The 302s saw me to school each day for many a year! As ever Dave's photos have brought back memories. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What a great selection of photo's tonight of Toton. I particularly like those first two, J138 of WD 90529, and J144 of 9F 92008, very steamy and atmospheric.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

This enlargement of the photo with the Class 44 may make it a little easier to see.

post-5613-0-87271500-1423261856_thumb.jpg

Detail from Toton 20176 up breakdown train, 47170 up coal Oct 77 C3614

The 44 can be seen halfway up  the lamp post 

David

• Like 5