Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Hi Pete

Do you remember the donkeys in the field next to the crossing they were there for years?

No, but that may be my memory at fault - feverishly trying to remember..........sounds logical, however!

I remember drinking at the Red Lion with Ian Middleton behind the bar (he used to work for NME) with many fellow guitarists over the years up to the mid-eighties. I do remember the surreal time (earlier) when the Duke Ellington tour bus turned up! 

Best, Pete.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Now for some on the Great Eastern between Church Lane crossing (north of Ingatestone) and Marks Tey.

This was an area I quite often visited on Saturday afternoons when I lived in Basildon.

attachicon.gife Church Lane level crossing Class 31 down pass rain March 75 C1903.jpg

Church Lane level crossing Class 31 down pass in rain March 75 C1903

attachicon.giff Margaretting Class 37 Norwich to Liverpool St in rain Oct 74 C1809.jpg

Margaretting Class 37 Norwich to Liverpool St in rain Oct 74 C1809

attachicon.gifk Hatfield Peverel Class 37 down ex pass April 75 C1959.jpg

Hatfield Peverel Class 37 down ex pass April 75 C1959

attachicon.gifk Hatfield Peverel Class 47 Liverpool St to Norwich April 75 C1961.jpg

Hatfield Peverel Class 47 Liverpool St to Norwich April 75 C1961

attachicon.gift Marks Tey 31122 up parcels Oct 75 C2476.jpg

Marks Tey 31122 up parcels Oct 75 C2476

The prototype 4PEP is in the background

David

Interesting that three of these trains have a Mk1 BSO leading. Come on Bachmann...

Not far from my old stomping ground,  I did enjoy regular NE-SW thrash with Peaks when I used to head back to Polytechnic.   Never the same after the HSTs took over.  

I well recall a hair-raising trip down the Lickey in a DMU replacement, as the Peak went tech at New Street.  I was accompanying a lovely young lady called Vivian Jones from an interview at Liverpool Poly.  The lights had failed in the DMU, and we tore down the Lickey in the dark, all quivering, shaking and rattling.  

And the DMU wasn't too smooth either....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great photo's tonight of Haresfield. Good to see the Peaks, and they must have been thrashing along! Like the track recording machine as well.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

That's the muckiest deltic I have ever seen!!!

Phil

Wouldn't have thought it had taken long to get into that state - I wouldn't have thought it had been painted blue for very long then.

Dave,

Great pictures - does anyone know anything about the bogie van behind the Class 47 in J922.

Is this related to the SR van 374-631 that Farish plans to produce?

Were they common in NE England any earlier than this - say 1950s?

By the way, an earlier post - way back - showed an SR pill box brake van on a cement train. Up till then I had no idea these vans could be seen in NE England, but since then I've seen a grey van with a Q6 at Blyth in a DVD  - Marsden Rail No. 34.

Regards,

Roy Marshall

Edited by R Marshall

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's of Pilmoor tonight. In the first one, J848,  there is a really good example of a very well weathered 40. Then in J1125, with a Deltic on a Newcastle to Kings Cross train, there is, from what I can make out, the third coach from the rear of the train looks like one of the last remaining Thompson SK's.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

Wouldn't have thought it had taken long to get into that state - I wouldn't have thought it had been painted blue for very long then.

http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/9002.htm

Released from Doncaster Works, after General repair, in blue livery (First of the class to be painted in blue).

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

Great pictures - does anyone know anything about the bogie van behind the Class 47 in J922.

Is this related to the SR van 374-631 that Farish plans to produce?

Were they common in NE England any earlier than this - say 1950s?

By the way, an earlier post - way back - showed an SR pill box brake van on a cement train. Up till then I had no idea these vans could be seen in NE England, but since then I've seen a grey van with a Q6 at Blyth in a DVD  - Marsden Rail No. 34.

Regards,

Roy Marshall

Hi, Roy Marshall. The bogie van is a Van B, and is the one to be introduced by Farish. They were to be seen earlier as well, I've seen plenty of photo's, including one of a Van B at Pocklington, in June, 1963, behind a class 40, in a York to Hull train. Try Google Images, there should be more to be seen there as well. I hope that this will be of some help.

All the best,

Market65.

Hi, Roy Marshall. The bogie van is a Van B, and is the one to be introduced by Farish. They were to be seen earlier as well, I've seen plenty of photo's, including one of a Van B at Pocklington, in June, 1963, behind a class 40, in a York to Hull train. Try Google Images, there should be more to be seen there as well. I hope that this will be of some help.

All the best,

Market65.

Many thanks - great news - I'll add one to my intended parcels train

Regards,

Roy

I believe its a Class 108 car i will have to dig around i may have a car number but the sets were very fluid at the time especially out of Haymarket TMD

Hi Dave

C8927 the Portobello DMU shot does look like a hybrid, but it's not a Class 101 on the rear. Being Scotland could it be a Class107?

• RMweb Gold

I believe its a Class 108 car i will have to dig around i may have a car number but the sets were very fluid at the time especially out of Haymarket TMD

Hi,edin_bry2x. You have it right. I've been looking at this photo' myself for the last few days, and you can see that the body-side saloon windows are lower down than on the class 107, and the other thing is that the roof vents are in two rows, not the three of the clas 107. Also the tumblehome is correct for class 108. Hope this helps.

All the best,

Market65.

Are you sure that 1E79 is a Newcastle to KX service? I don't have the WTT in front of me at the moment, but I will look it up later.

However, in 1967 I believe all the Newcastle services (and the Edinburgh ones for that matter) had 'A' headcodes for both up and down services. Up services were odd numbers, with down trains even. That was a convention on the ECML until a year or two later.

The 'E' headcodes were up services from Yorkshire, mainly Leeds/Bradford or Hull.

Edited by jonny777

• RMweb Gold

From edin_bry2x

from Market 65:

Hi,edin_bry2x. You have it right. I've been looking at this photo' myself for the last few days, and you can see that the body-side saloon windows are lower down than on the class 107, and the other thing is that the roof vents are in two rows, not the three of the clas 107. Also the tumblehome is correct for class 108. Hope this helps.

All the best,

Market65.

Many thanks, I've amended the caption.

Sorry, I made a mess of the quotes so it looks a bit odd.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Are you sure that 1E79 is a Newcastle to KX service? I don't have the WTT in front of me at the moment, but I will look it up later.

However, in 1967 I believe all the Newcastle services (and the Edinburgh ones for that matter) had 'A' headcodes for both up and down services. Up services were odd numbers, with down trains even. That was a convention on the ECML until a year or two later.

The 'E' headcodes were up services from Yorkshire, mainly Leeds/Bradford or Hull.

I'm not at all sure, all the notes on the 1967 Pilmoor photos are from Dad's slide catalogue and I don't have a working timetable for the period.

As the photo is at Pilmoor the train must have come either from the Newcastle/Edinburgh line or routes from Sunderland or Middlesbrough.

Edited by DaveF