Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

My home town, and favourite railway, thanks for posting.

PS - Should that not be Crossgate bridge?

Yes, it should, no idea why I have the caption wrong - I've only lived in the north east for 35 years!

David

C5695 - thoughtful of Edward 1 to plan ahead by building an archway for the railway line. :mosking:

Ha! It should be noted that the arch wasn't the railway's only contribution to the archaeology of Conwy - the LNWR spent quite a bit of money shoring up both the town walls and the castle to prevent lumps of masonry landing on their trains and thus making a positive contribution to the preservation to one of the great medieval monuments in these islands. Lovely pictures Dave, many thanks for posting them.

Adam

I have only just discovered this thread, but must say 'THANK YOU', to both you and your dad, for sharing so many excellent, and hugely inspiring photos.

A wonderful resource for finding out just what was where, lots of detsils in the backgrounds of the trains especially, and also when you are wondering what you might like to build next on a layout, lots of ideas to work with.

Many, many thanks, Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Very interesting photo's of Millmeece and Badnall Wharf. An interesting history, which I was not aware of, so thank you for it. The two photo's of the class 310, by your Dad, and then yourself, are very informative about colours in photo's. Your photo' does look much more natural to me than your Dad's, for in his photo', there is a little bit too much blue to my eyes.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Love the Great Eastern photo's which you've posted tonight. In C3087, of the class 105 DMU at Manningtree South Junction, in November, 1976, the leading car, a DTCL, has had what appears to be the surround to it's destination indicator removed for whatever reason. In the last photo, J4298, at Bentley Bank with a 31 on a parcels, in May, 1975, there is to be seen a typical collection of parcels stock, including one of the Thompson 6-wheel vans - I forget the correct code for that van!

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

That 105 appears to not be one of the big batch that were originally GE allocated. Around 1964-ish, probably as a result of Beeching cuts around the country, we got further allocations to the Anglia region, drafted in from elsewhere; this looks like one of them.

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

That 105 appears to not be one of the big batch that were originally GE allocated. Around 1964-ish, probably as a result of Beeching cuts around the country, we got further allocations to the Anglia region, drafted in from elsewhere; this looks like one of them.

Stewart

Hi, Stewart. Yes you are quite right, it is one of the 105's from Hull that were transferred in the late 1960's - I believe, rather than about '64 - as a result of those Beeching cuts. You can always tell by the four lamp cab ends and  the early type of guards van in  the DMBS. Just one window as opposed to two in the batch of units that were built later on.

All the best,

Market65.

PS We lost a lot of the railway in 1965 in the East Riding of Yorkshire - Hull to York via Market Weighton being one example.

Edited by Market65

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful Dave - look at all those lovely brake tenders and hoppers!

Also great memories of Bulmers - when I was at school we had a club layout - St Johns Railway Circle - that we took to a do there on an occasion earlier than your visit. Its highlight on the inevitable GW BLT was a Brunel fan timber viaduct. Along comes little oik when our back is turned and yanks deck off said bridge.

Happy? Not! Cab ride on 6000 partial recompense however

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

c2922. Didn't know brake tenders were still in use in 1976 or were those three awaiting disposal. 

I think they were awaiting disposal.  I haven't got any photos of them in use around then or later.

David

• RMweb Gold

Lot of memories of the later days at Bestwood Park.

When I got involved it was hard to imaging what had been there. By then all that was left North of the box was the Calverton Branch and a derelict double track to the old Linby Colliery.

Happily by the end of my involvement we had passenger trains to Newstead, the rebuilding of the lines to Kirkby-in-Ashfield under way and the tram line works being planned. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Excellent once again Dave. Is that bridge the remains of the GC? I can't believe how much this location has changed. Were the pair of double track lines just to Newstead and Gedling by then?

• RMweb Premium

Wonderful Dave - look at all those lovely brake tenders and hoppers!

Also great memories of Bulmers - when I was at school we had a club layout - St Johns Railway Circle - that we took to a do there on an occasion earlier than your visit. Its highlight on the inevitable GW BLT was a Brunel fan timber viaduct. Along comes little oik when our back is turned and yanks deck off said bridge.

Happy? Not! Cab ride on 6000 partial recompense however

Phil

Has anyone else noted that all three of the brake tenders have a different profile. The first one has a curve to the lower edge, possibly one with LNER bogies, the middle one has straighter sides but the same curvature to the top, is it an LNER or LMS bogied tender and the last one is slightly taller, has a completely different radius to the top and flat sides, it is possibly has LMS bogies.

Had David known the interest in these lumps of metal on wheels, all these years later I am sure he would have taken a photo showing the bogies. :yes:

Has anyone else noted that all three of the brake tenders have a different profile. The first one has a curve to the lower edge, possibly one with LNER bogies, the middle one has straighter sides but the same curvature to the top, is it an LNER or LMS bogied tender and the last one is slightly taller, has a completely different radius to the top and flat sides, it is possibly has LMS bogies.

Had David known the interest in these lumps of metal on wheels, all these years later I am sure he would have taken a photo showing the bogies. :yes:

I believe that the roof profile depends on the coach that donated the parts for the brake tender!

Mark Saunders