Evocotive railway remains, what derelect or abandoned structure stirs your emotions?

That thick wall was the bridge abutment from where a lot of photos of the shed was taken.

Like in this Arthur Ives view from the ARPT. The official 1964 entrance to the shed can be seen extreme left, with the end of the still existing stone wall seen in the Google Street view being centre foreground. The BRSA club was just outside the main entrance on the right.

10291111193_d7d7e774b0_c.jpg179. 15F Percy Main MPD 12-04-64 (A Ives) 090 by ntynesidetrains, on Flickr

P

Hi Porcy,

That picture takes me back.... My friend and I used to occasionally bunk all the north-east sheds on Sundays in the 1960s. Percy Main shed was locked up on a Sunday so we used to climb over the main gate to get into the shed. One Sunday a woman from the terraced houses behind the gate shouted at us an threatened to get the police, so we crossed over the bridge on St Johns Road (from where the photo was taken), into the field past the bridge and crossed to lines into the shed.

We went on a nostalgic trip to the shed site at Easter in 2009 and found the shed area and terraced houses have been replaced by a modern housing estate (like so many others). I thought my memory was playing tricks as I could not see any sign of the bridge that we crossed over that day. After seeing the photo I realised it must have been demolished. Do you know when and why it was knocked down?

Howie

Hi Porcy,

Do you know when and why it was knocked down?

I'm pretty sure the bridge was still standing in the mid 1990's but the memory banks play tricks. I've a feeling it was demolished at the same time that the A187-A193 link road was put in. Probably about the same time the incinerator was demolished?

Still I could be totally wrong.

P

I was down there the other day (when I took my pic of that building). The bypass chops right across the site of the road from the missing bridge and I had a poke round the 'no man's land' beyond the Stephenson track but didn't see any trace of it. I DID however find the stub of the old riverside branch just before the bypass crosses the metro line. It's well overgrown but the stonework's still there. I looked like I'd received the death of a thousand cuts when I came out of those brambles!

Had to take one of my daughters to her friends. On the way back I stopped off here.

post-6880-0-93678600-1423399419.jpg

I find standing on the former trackbed at places like this quite a moving experience. Thinking of trains that once passed here heading for destinations such as Liverpool, Manchester, Nottingham, Sheffield and Bradford. Hauled by types such as Bulleid Pacifics, Standard Cl.9Fs and Black Fives.

Yes, this is the S&DJR near Corfe Mullen.

• Like 11

Moretonhampstead was mentioned back on page two, me and Mrs Rivercider have just returned from a four night stay there. 

On the last morning we walked part of the Wray valley trail starting near Moretonhampstead station.

post-7081-0-72625100-1423401106.jpg

This view taken over the fence shows the engine shed. 

Just south of the station the Wray Valley Way takes up the former trackbed,.

post-7081-0-48802000-1423401112.jpg

Near where the home signal would have stood. 

This appears to be a concrete base, there is a concrete beam with attached steel rods lying on top of it,

And having now looked online I think this is the old concrete signal post.

This is another view of the concrete signal post

post-7081-0-97030400-1423597035.jpg

post-7081-0-58484300-1423401118.jpg

A little further south a culvert runs under thew trackbed, with a fence post made of bridge rail,

the rail is stamped with what looks like 'PANTEG STEELWORKS&ENG'

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 15

The Bala to Blaenau Ffestiniog branch at Trawsfynydd, Arenig (a rail served granite quarry in the middle of nowhere) and Cwm Prysor viaduct first seen on a misty day in 1981.

Remains of the Mid Wales line between Rhayader and Brecon, the Denbigh Ruthin and Corwen, the Mold and Denbigh Junction the Wrexham and Ellesmere & Llanberis branches

The Coniston Branch first discovered in 1987

The Rosedale Branch high up on the North York moors

The Border Counties line between Falstone and Riccarton

The old CLC Tunnels at Walton Liverpool.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hi Michael, that looks an interesting section of railway. Could you briefly tell us about it. when closed etc?

many thanks

Andy

I love that too Michael Delamer, I wonder if there is a chance we will see Merseyrail trains using it again one day :)

andy stroud, that line, or those tunnels on that part of the line served as the entrance to Huskisson which was the goods depot for the CLC in the northern dock complex, which had many free ports at the time and so was very lucrative if you could have a hand in it.

The whole line is well documented here http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/h/huskisson/index.shtml

Most all of the trackbed are still there and can be reused as trackbeds if Merseyrail ever wanted to, which has been mentioned several times in the past but nothing has been done about it.

Don't know about evocative, but there are still some lineside cable supports alongside the Woodhead route.

Here, on a bridge on the Worsborough incline near Silkstone Common, now the Trans-Pennine Trail:

post-6971-0-57638000-1424014983.jpg

and here at a foot crossing near the site of West Silkstone Junction:

post-6971-0-92184700-1424014911.jpg

• Like 6

Amazing pictures of an unlikely survivor. Are these structures listed? I can see no other reason why they would not have been demolished.

I take it these were built by the L&YR?

Ian

Yes, listed - see here:

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-447656-coal-drops-at-halifax-station-goods-yard

also those at Penistone 

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-334094-coal-drops-immediately-west-of-bridge-un

• 3 months later...

What stirs my emotions is to see well remembered structures gradually falling into ruin, particularly in place where I have some affinity.

This is what remains of Bartlow Junction signal box, still proudly carrying its LNER livery, but falling apart thanks to unchecked tree growth.  (It's probably even worse now, the picture was taken in January 2010).  A much younger version of myself visited the site (by invitation of the owners) many years ago, when I had the intention of building a model of the station.  Though it was several years after closure, there were no trees around the signal box in those days and I was able to inspect what remained - both inside and out.

attachicon.gifA10010.jpg

My shot of Bartlow on 2.2.80. The box can be seen in the distance.

21767033.57086de9.800.jpg
  • Like 4

For some reason derelict tracks on quaysides have always stirred my emotions more than most other railway remains. They evoke a time when goods in railway wagons became the cargo for "dirty British coasters" and much cleaner Dutch coasters;  ships that plied their trade in and out of many a small port before the all conquering juggernaut swept any competition aside and turned the word "port" into a synonym for "ugly great concrete lorry park".

This one evokes particular memories

post-6882-0-02890300-1432464079_thumb.jpg

post-6882-0-28035400-1432464082_thumb.jpg

It is the final points and head shunt,  just a hundred and fifty or so metres of track, near the foot of Dieppe's breakwater.

During the early 1990s the ferries were moved to the other side of the harbour, where there was room for bigger car ferries and and a larger vehicle park. Twenty years ago all trace of the former Gare Maritime that had been on the Quai Henri IV since 1874 was excised so thoroughly that, apart from this short remnant of inset track beyond the actual quay, there's now absolutely no sign that it ever existed 

The ferry port right in the town, with shops and cafes behind it, was the very best place to arrive "abroad". It was a bit like the Weymouth harbour tramway except that it was express locomotives that ran alongside the streets I made my first ever weekend trip to Paris via Dieppe Mme. and then used the ferry for many happy weeekends in Dieppe itself. Within ten minute you could be off the ferry, through passport control, out of the terminal and watching the last passengers boarding the Rapide for Paris while already sitting outside a cafe with a plate of Mussels and chips.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Good Morning......

I would like to share these pics with you, as I'm not sure if this particular vehicle has been 'recorded' anywhere ?

It's there now and has been for many years, and it is accompanied by a chassis-less Brake Van body, also in the bushes but actually sitting on the floor !

Anybody else recognise this one ?

post-7088-0-85149600-1423041455_thumb.jp

post-7088-0-76356500-1423041420_thumb.jp

post-7088-0-37905500-1423041679_thumb.jp

If you can't quite work out what or where this one is......I'm happy to help with a clue.....

post-7088-0-28042500-1423041836_thumb.jp

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Going back to this pic, is that park royal, the old guiness siding entrance?

• Like 5

Hi Jim,

Well done that Man, yes it is.

Since transfer to NR ownership, a lot of P-Way work is currently on-going to upgrade the track within the sidings, which now have 'Park Royal GUINESS Sidings' stencilled on one of the sleepers at the Wickham end of the yard near the entrance/exit.

EDITED TO REMOVE REPEATED INFO

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Edited by Shedmaster

A couple of weeks ago I walked from York to Sand Hutton and found this sad Vanfit body near the course of the Sand Hutton Light Railway. It couldn't have been anything to do with the SHLR as that was narrow gauge and closed in 1930.It is simply sitting in a wood near the road with no obvious reason why it should be there.

38131640.1076549b.1024.jpg
Edited by PinzaC55
  • Like 6

A couple of weeks ago I walked from York to Sand Hutton and found this sad Vanfit body near the course of the Sand Hutton Light Railway. It couldn't have been anything to do with the SHLR as that was narrow gauge and closed in 1930.It is simply sitting in a wood near the road with no obvious reason why it should be there.

There's an entire thread devoted to old grounded van bodies: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/1486-grounded-vans/

Most of them appear to be where they are for no obvious reason!

For some reason derelict tracks on quaysides have always stirred my emotions more than most other railway remains. They evoke a time when goods in railway wagons became the cargo for "dirty British coasters" and much cleaner Dutch coasters;  ships that plied their trade in and out of many a small port before the all conquering juggernaut swept any competition aside and turned the word "port" into a synonym for "ugly great concrete lorry park".

This one evokes particular memories

attachicon.gifDieppe_surviving track Apr08_0003.jpg

attachicon.gifDieppe_Apr08_0001.jpg

It is the final points and head shunt,  just a hundred and fifty or so metres of track, near the foot of Dieppe's breakwater.

During the early 1990s the ferries were moved to the other side of the harbour, where there was room for bigger car ferries and and a larger vehicle park. Twenty years ago all trace of the former Gare Maritime that had been on the Quai Henri IV since 1874 was excised so thoroughly that, apart from this short remnant of inset track beyond the actual quay, there's now absolutely no sign that it ever existed 

The ferry port right in the town, with shops and cafes behind it, was the very best place to arrive "abroad". It was a bit like the Weymouth harbour tramway except that it was express locomotives that ran alongside the streets I made my first ever weekend trip to Paris via Dieppe Mme. and then used the ferry for many happy weeekends in Dieppe itself. Within ten minute you could be off the ferry, through passport control, out of the terminal and watching the last passengers boarding the Rapide for Paris while already sitting outside a cafe with a plate of Mussels and chips.

Wow! I did an Inter-Rail trip to Spain and Portugal in 1973 which commenced with the Newhaven-Dieppe ferry. The train to Paris was hauled by two locos with a generator van between them. I remember thinking we had derailed as we slowly negotiated the sharp radii pointwork out of the station. Sad that it has all gone.

• Like 2

Wow! I did an Inter-Rail trip to Spain and Portugal in 1973 which commenced with the Newhaven-Dieppe ferry. The train to Paris was hauled by two locos with a generator van between them. I remember thinking we had derailed as we slowly negotiated the sharp radii pointwork out of the station. Sad that it has all gone.

Interesting. It was quite common in France for a Fourgon Chaudiere - a van containing a steam heating boiler- to be marshalled at the head of a train of steam heated stock when hauled by an electric or diesel loco without a train heating boiler and I've certainly seen photos of those at Dieppe but I've not come across a generator van there. Do you happen to remember what sort of coaches made up the train you travelled on?

Presumably because it's not worth the scrap value to break it out of the concrete, quayside trackwork tends to get left in place and, unless there's substantial redevelopment, often just gets tarred over. It's rather like tram track in cities a lot of which is still buried under the modern road. For some reason in Dieppe they went for complete removal of the entire marine station including the track leading to it from the town station as this rather sad photo shows .

http://www.mainlymono.co.uk/dieppe/pages/dieppe%20no%20railway03.html

Apart from the track at the very far end, the only sign now that it ever existed is a plaque on the quayside.  The post war Gare Maritime, designed before the war by the well known architect Urbain Cassan, did rather separate the quayside from the street behind in a way that its single story predecessor hadn't but it was an interestig piece of architecture and part of it could easily have been reused. The Quai Henri IV does now have a  pleasantly open aspect but an imaginative designer might have kept the quayside tracks as a design feature linking it with its past (Even Swanage still has its narrow gauge fish quay railway). Elsewhere, on the various quays that make up Dieppe's port area, the quayside track is still in place.

A member of the Dieppe model railway club- Littorail 76- has built a very nice model of Dieppe Maritime's passenger station 

http://littorail76.chez.com/expo13/album/slides/Gare%20maritime%20de%20Dieppe%20%281%29.html

There are about five photos of the model on their site.

I've been so fascinated by this ferry port in the street for so long that I've even written articles about it (Continental Modeller January and February 2010 and,  in translation, in the French magazine RMF in 2013)

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting. It was quite common in France for a Fourgon Chaudiere - a van containing a steam heating boiler- to be marshalled at the head of a train of steam heated stock when hauled by an electric or diesel loco without a train heating boiler and I've certainly seen photos of those at Dieppe but I've not come across a generator van there. Do you happen to remember what sort of coaches made up the train you travelled on?

Presumably because it's not worth the scrap value to break it out of the concrete, quayside trackwork tends to get left in place and, unless there's substantial redevelopment, often just gets tarred over. It's rather like tram track in cities a lot of which is still buried under the modern road. For some reason in Dieppe they went for complete removal of the entire marine station including the track leading to it from the town station as this rather sad photo shows .

http://www.mainlymono.co.uk/dieppe/pages/dieppe%20no%20railway03.html

Apart from the track at the very far end, the only sign now that it ever existed is a plaque on the quayside.  The post war Gare Maritime, designed before the war by the well known architect Urbain Cassan, did rather separate the quayside from the street behind in a way that its single story predecessor hadn't but it was an interestig piece of architecture and part of it could easily have been reused. The Quai Henri IV does now have a  pleasantly open aspect but an imaginative designer might have kept the quayside tracks as a design feature linking it with its past (Even Swanage still has its narrow gauge fish quay railway). Elsewhere, on the various quays that make up Dieppe's port area, the quayside track is still in place.

A member of the Dieppe model railway club- Littorail 76- has built a very nice model of Dieppe Maritime's passenger station 

http://littorail76.chez.com/expo13/album/slides/Gare%20maritime%20de%20Dieppe%20%281%29.html

There are about five photos of the model on their site.

I've been so fascinated by this ferry port in the street for so long that I've even written articles about it (Continental Modeller January and February 2010 and,  in translation, in the French magazine RMF in 2013)

I liked Dieppe when we came back that way by car in the late 80's.  I thought that it was great being so close to the shops and cafes in the town.  Unfortunately as a car passengers we had to drive out to the beach at the end of the breakwater then slowly back towards the town in the various queue lanes. It was very frustrating to be able to see the cafes but not get to them.

Jamie

38131640.1076549b.1024.jpg

Maybe bought as an animal shelter by a local farmer?  It would have suited pigs allowed to roam around in woodland.

A lot of redundant van bodies were sold to farmers in the 50s and 60s, and they made good storage sheds, or animal shelters until our inclement weather began to have the upper hand.