Evocotive railway remains, what derelect or abandoned structure stirs your emotions?

From my Aberdeen days. Just north of Aberdeen station, hidden in the undergrowth, is the remains of the turntable. What is unusual is, due to space restriction, the well has been cut into the hillside location with a girder supporting the high level town above.

post-9992-0-75779000-1433398852_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

There is a similar 'incursion' into an embankment at Brentwood on the down side where space constraints required a cut out let into the embankment for a turntable. The turntable has long gone now with just the semi circular cut out to show where it once was.

Edited by PhilJ W

From my Aberdeen days. Just north of Aberdeen station, hidden in the undergrowth, is the remains of the turntable. What is unusual is, due to space restriction, the well has been cut into the hillside location with a girder supporting the high level town above.

attachicon.gifABZ TT.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

Photo of the turntable in happier days

Turntable.jpg

Jim

• Like 14

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi, everyone.Here's two photo's taken of the former station buildings at Stamford Bridge, E. Yorkshire. It has survived very well since closure in 1965, and is now 'The Station Club'.

post-22631-0-10926100-1435442600_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-78299200-1435442639_thumb.jpg

With regards,

Market65.

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I think that I mentioned this a while back. It's not much to look at but there's a bit of rail poking through the pothole, and the spacing of those lines looks about right. This is right near the Whaley Bridge canal basin, so a quite probably survivor of the Cromford and High Peak Railway (mostly) buried under the tarmac.

post-22093-0-66282800-1436650130.jpg

A few weeks ago they opened up the building over the end of the canal, rails and a crane still in there but unfortunately I didn't have a camera on me.

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 8

And carrying on from post #137, towards the other end of the Invergarry to Fort Augustus line, near the long gone terminus at Fort Augustus a bridge support still stands in the River Oich. Sorry for the quality of the pick, taken in the rain ( well it is Scotland :sungum: ). 

post-7336-0-08567700-1436697424.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

That very ornate bridge support was just for the extension to the pier (which also included a swing bridge over the canal), which I believe closed even earlier than the rest. A lot of money spent there for not a lot (but that was also said about the entire branch). It might've done very well as a tourist line now if it had survived but if ever one was bonkers at the time it was built it was the Invergarry and Fort Augustus.

Edited by Reorte

attachicon.gifABZ TT.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

There was a similar arrangement at Dover Town, where the turntable was partly within a cavern hacked out of part of the White Cliffs because of space constraints.

-(which also included a swing bridge over the canal)-

Thanks for that, similar to the present road bridge over the canal, I was wondering how it was done, as it is obvious by the adjacent, still intact, road bridge that the track bed was only a couple of feet above canal water level.

Edited by bike2steam

Even though the station at Little Somerford on the old GWR South Wales direct line is long gone, the gate posts at the bottom of the approach still remain.

post-12902-0-17666400-1437067265_thumb.jpg

The manufacturers details are cast on to the posts: T James, Vulcan Foundry, Cardiff, 1902. 

post-12902-0-56828100-1437067287_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

very definitely. this encounter one day with a GWR Wartime box at Woodhay led to curiosity about the Didcot Newbury and Southampton Railway which has lasted and grown alongside a collection of appropriate models ahead of a long planned model of Burghclere Station and Hockley Viaduct (Shawford) along with a "what might have been" DNS station in Southampton.

Woodhay box

post-12721-0-87023400-1437068946_thumb.jpg

My model of the identical one at Burghclere

post-12721-0-23914700-1437069110_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Axed earlier than most lines in Britain. What's left of the Ringwood, Christchurch and Bournemouth Railway.

The line was built in 1862 to Christchurch, and extended to Bournemouth in 1870 and then closed in 1935.
The photo depicts the Christchurch to Ringwood segment, facing North toward Ringwood.

post-20657-0-48475200-1437070524_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Matt

Axed earlier than most lines in Britain. What's left of the Ringwood, Christchurch and Bournemouth Railway.

The line was built in 1862 to Christchurch, and extended to Bournemouth in 1870 and then closed in 1935.

The photo depicts the Christchurch to Ringwood segment, facing North toward Ringwood.

Built when Bournemouth was no more than a small village, Dorchester being more important for trade, then the little village quickly expanded into a big holiday resort, and the need for a direct link became necessary, so the line thro' New Milton became a must. It would be more than useful now to serve the airport - another chance lost.

attachicon.gifS1950049 - 1.jpg

Regards,

Matt

Ironically, the route of much of this line sees far more traffic now than was ever carried in its railway days. The main road into Bournemouth from the north and east - the A338 Spur Road - follows much of the formation of this first rail route to that seaside resort.

• Like 1

A rather uninspiring view taken at 09.12 this morning.

post-6880-0-13283500-1437247890.jpg

But if I'd been standing here exactly 62 years ago, behind me would be the 9.25 to Liverpool & Manchester, the 9.30 to Birkenhead Woodside and the 9.45 to Manchester all waiting to depart. The next arrival would've been the more prosaic 7.28 local from Templecombe in 20 minutes.

Yes, this is Bournemouth West.

• Like 6

No more Queen of Scots.

post-508-0-74671100-1437417133.jpg

Sun setting on Sinderby station building, May 2009. Demolished shortly after.

post-508-0-34753500-1437417106.jpg

Sinderby A1 overbridge and station. Bridge also now demolished. The bridge had significance in the history of pre-stressed concrete that can be read about here:

http://www-civ.eng.cam.ac.uk/cjb/4d8/public/history.html

Porcy

• Like 6

No more Queen of Scots.

attachicon.gifSinderbyStation012EditSm.jpg

Sun setting on Sinderby station building, May 2009. Demolished shortly after.

attachicon.gifSinderbyStation004EditSm.jpg

Sinderby A1 overbridge and station. Bridge also now demolished. The bridge had significance in the history of pre-stressed concrete that can be read about here:

http://www-civ.eng.cam.ac.uk/cjb/4d8/public/history.html

Porcy

Was it Sinderby that was home to some Mk2 coaches and a 47 for a while? Whatever happened to them?

• Like 1