Is non-payment on the increase?

Crosland

I've had a few (non-railway) items on recently; and although a couple of people were slow, I got two/three who won items, and then informed me that they were overseas - despite the fact that my details quite clearly state "UK only". They got told to go away; but then you've either got to re-advertise, or offer it to the next highest bidder, which is all time-consuming (as if selling on e-bay wasn't already!), and more trouble than it's worth, given the relatively low value of most of this particular tranche of items.

Heigh-ho.

Andrew

You have seem to be unlucky, I think I had one non payer in the early years. He actually contacted me 3 weeks later, by which time I had re-listed and sold the item. Found a similar item and he was very happy with it. I think I had one other non payer who may have overstretched himself. On the whole most are very good and quick in paying.

New PayPal term released today mean a buyer  can make a claim up to 180 days instead of 45 .That means the guitar amp I am listing can be played for 5 months dropped and sent back to me for refund .This is dumb .I have just pulled the listing .Now calling it Paytwit.You would have to be ....

New PayPal term released today mean a buyer can make a claim up to 180 days instead of 45 .That means the guitar amp I am listing can be played for 5 months dropped and sent back to me for refund .This is dumb .I have just pulled the listing .Now calling it Paytwit.You would have to be ....

But isn't that a totally different issue from non-payers?

I have not experienced a non-payer (perhaps that is tempting fate) - I wonder though if it has something to do with the value of the items for sale and possibly that I still think there are many folk out there who seem to think of it as some sort of game. Bid something up to its highest bid then debunk. The seller then offers it to the other buyer but at a price that has been exposed rather than what would have been a wining bid. I also wonder if this increases during the school holidays?

New PayPal term released today mean a buyer  can make a claim up to 180 days instead of 45 .That means the guitar amp I am listing can be played for 5 months dropped and sent back to me for refund .This is dumb .I have just pulled the listing .Now calling it Paytwit.You would have to be ....

Most Ebayers will not remember where they got it 5 months down the line !!

• RMweb Gold

On my experience then yes. Im on 3 in about 2 months. Ironically never on railway related items, almost always car parts. It would appear there are a lot of idiots on at the minute.

The 180 days is to bring PayPal's own dispute process in line with the limit on credit card companies' own chargeback process. Until now, even when PayPal's own time limit had expired, a seller could find a payment put on hold due to the card issuer lodging a chargeback. 

Andrew

I do think that some think prompt payment is within a fortnight, these are the laid back buyers. Whilst others expect sellers to go straight out and post the items immediately, the drop everything group.

I must admit it is nice to get prompt payments from buyers, and like most I hate to have to wait too long for items to arrive. Thankfully most of those who are into model railways do behave themselves 

I had my first non-payer earlier this year. I think its just the luck of the draw.

The stupid thing is you then cannot leave the buyer negative feedback even after you have followed the non-payer process! :rtfm:

Yeah, I'm waiting for one of them to ask why i haven't left feedback - because I can't !

Andrew

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I got caught out posting an item i thought had been paid for to a chap in new zealand.

Never had an item not received case opened against me. Needless to say a friendly email to ask for payment was met with stony silence.

My fault. Check buyers have actually paid before you wrap and take to the post office :)

The item was low value thankfully. Had i raised an unpaid item case i dare say the reply would have been item never arrived.

I didnt have feedback either which might have helped me after the event. I think this case was more luck on the buyers side as i sent a message to say item will be posted in the morning and i had indeed given the buyer the grern light to say hey the sellers posted it and you havent paid for it!

We all get our chains pulled occasionally on fleecebay im convinced of it......

Edited by ThaneofFife

• RMweb Premium

Had a few non-payers in the early days of ebay, but nowdays I find I'll list a load of items and there is always the one person who doesn't pay up straight away, and a lot of the time looking at the bidding time they put the bid in seconds before the auction ends. It's very frustrating because it means extra trips to the post office and the item is usally something that is worth pennies, it's times like that it just dosen't feel worth it and on occasion i've just donated to a charity shop rather than have to deal with ebay.

Had a nasty one this week, the winning bidder was a 100% positive feedback and I tried to contact by telephone when no response (details posted were for a business in Sussex) but they just pretended to not be able to hear me on the telephone. All the feedback comments indicated that he never pays for anything which seems odd for a 100% account but still.

Offered the item to the second chance bidder who when he answered the phone appears to be the same person as the top bidder by the poor grasp of English and same chavvy accent, but claims not to be but knows about the top bidder who always out bids him and never pays. Second chance bidder gets very uptight when I ask him where he is! Second chance bidder then does not want to pay what he has bid and makes threats of violence if I do not offer it to him for a much lower price.

It looks like the bidders tactic is to bid a high price that freezes out other bidders then tries to get it at a lower price knowing that he has both the top bid and second bid and that no one else will have bid and using intimidation. Needless to say I popped into the constabulary today...

Edited by Suzie

Yes i dont blame you.never feel intimidated by some scrote on ebay. If he wants an item that badly he needs to work harder :)

I also hate those last second winning bidders who dont pay for days or over a week.youd think if they were poised over the keyboard to bid last minute and they find out theyve won, well i know if it was me i would then pay straightaway.i get my item faster that way.....dont understand some people.

Even on paypal mobile apps and synced accounts with ebay you can pay anywhere you are.....even on holiday sat by the pool!

Second chance bidder gets very uptight when I ask him where he is! Second chance bidder then does not want to pay what he has bid and makes threats of violence if I do not offer it to him for a much lower price.

Totally unacceptable and illegal - record all conversations with strangers - then report such threats to the police. I think it (just) comes under the heading of "obtaining money by menace". Not that it sounds like they would understand the charge.

I also hate those last second winning bidders who dont pay for days or over a week.youd think if they were poised over the keyboard to bid last minute and they find out theyve won, well i know if it was me i would then pay straightaway.i get my item faster that way.....dont understand some people.

Even on paypal mobile apps and synced accounts with ebay you can pay anywhere you are.....even on holiday sat by the pool!

You obviously do not understand how Snipe bidding works. Those that use such programs have far better things to do with their lives than sitting over a PC staring at an ebay screen. They very often make their bid using the program many days before the listing ends. Often when the listing first appears on their search list email from ebay. They then go away and forget about ebay, the item, and the bid. They are not so desperate that they need the item and are content that another will be along at some point. In the dying seconds before the auction ends the snipe program sends in their trumping bid and they win. When they come back from their holiday/business trip (they are not chained to their mobile phone or wish to pay extortionate roaming charges, or don't even have one, or want the "mobile app") they catch up on their email to find they have won the item and then pay for it. Often having to prompt the lazy seller for an invoice. As for synced accounts - not at all popular. Edited by Kenton

Maybe one experience of having to chase a seller for "an invoice" might cause one person untold displeasure but that one off shouldnt be confused with it "often" being the case ( of having to chase) afterall what benefit does that get the seller? They want paying and to get item away. Unless you are expecting a multiple item postage discount and you request a total from seller then i fail to even see why that precludes the buyer paying up invoice or no invoice.

Oh and whilst i have certainly heard of sniping software its not something i personally would want to use. Most people like to bid the old fashioned way hunched over their pc just wondering whether they can get that bargain. Sniping to me just takes away alot of the fun and thrill of ebay auctions.

Sniping to me just takes away alot of the fun and thrill of ebay auctions.

Fun? Thrill? Sorry it is nothing like a real auction and is just a shopping experience (a none too pleasant one at that - but then I don't like shopping in any shape or form)

I have been using the same sniping program for years without any problems. The point was very much along the lines of do not assume that there is a person waiting on the end of an auction, any more than there is someone on the other end of a telephone waiting for your call. Most ebay auctions that interest me end during the night so I couldn't sit there watching them even if I wanted to - quite a number of folk work nights and I suspect their employers do not allow them to sit at a PC waiting to click a mouse to the tune of a countdown timer.

ThaneofFife - I do think your use of "Most" is far worse a generalisation then my "Often" as the "Most" in your context is applied to every one who uses ebay where as my "Often" applies to my personal experience (of which you have no knowledge).

• Like 1