Is non-payment on the increase?

Crosland

Well now youve made it clear that the intended context was from a personal perspective it paints your ebaying experiences in a poor light if youre getting to the end of your tether chasing invoices.

I think we both have differing expectations as i see little value in receiving an invoice for the odd model i might buy.

Cant you look at the "view item order"page at anytime-doesnt this give you much of the information that might be needed (for whatever purpose)? Thats what i do but as i said earlier sounds like we have different priorities.

Kenton you say you dont like shopping.

Some might think you dont like anything at all :)

I have had the pleasure of meeting Kenton once and can vouch that he is a cheery chapie.

Nothing wrong with either using sniping programs (I don't use them) or bidding at the last few seconds  (which I try and do). Most of us do pay quickly, some even instantly. The problem is that there are a few dodgey buyers and sellers on Ebay, sadly that's the world we live in.

I won a loco kit in the middle of last week, I had a note saying he was away and returning home at the weekend and could not post it till this week. No mention on the item, but what the heck, it will get here soon (just received notice its in the post) so I get on with other things until it arrives

In fact I find that railway modellers on Ebay are in the most excellent sellers and buyers and all but a very few of my  transactions ended up being problematic. Now I understand that some have had problems with technology (phone, cameras etc) items. I have no experience of either buying or selling in this area.

• RMweb Premium

Had a weird one yesterday.  Large number of wagons I am clearing out end and within literally seconds of the auctions ending, the winning bidder on two wagons messages me announcing that he doesn't want them and can I cancel the sale/offer them to the second place bidder.  Why on Earth did he bid on them then?

Fortunately the second place bidder took one of them off my hands, the other is now "Relisted due to time waster".  Seriously thinking about adding this guy to my banned bidders list if I could remember how to do it.

Edited by John M Upton

Had a weird one yesterday.  Large number of wagons I am clearing out end and within literally seconds of the auctions ending, the winning bidder on two wagons messages me announcing that he doesn't want them and can I cancel the sale/offer them to the second place bidder.  Why on Earth did he bid on them then?

Fortunately the second place bidder took one of them off my hands, the other is now "Relisted due to time waster".  Seriously thinking about adding this guy to my banned bidders list if I could remember how to do it.

That,s all you can do. sometimes folk go over the top or win too many items and on reflection can't afford what they have won. I had one chap who made me wait 3 weeks, and from the feedback he did that to most of the sellers. All it was in the end was a bit of a pain having an item hanging around so long. But I guess if you need the cash it can be a problem

So is there any truth in the rumour that he is really Andy York?   :jester:

Not at all, I have seen Andy from a distance, but he is always busy talking to others. And he's not Martin Wynn either and I had the pleasure of chatting with Martin at the same event.

• Like 1

Its a good line of defence john as you cant be certain the same buyer wont cause further disruption.....

Its also a handy instrument for metaphorically sticking 2 fingers up to those buyers that lack any amount of common decency without resorting to vengeful comments when you leave your feedback.

• RMweb Premium

Ah ha!!!  Here is the link to the block bidders list facility:

http://cgi1.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?bidderblocklogin

Notice an old ghost from the past in the form of the infamous 'aldo1080' on my list, I had forgotten all about that guy!!!   :jester:

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

How long do people normally give before opening a case with Ebay? I sold something on Sunday night, sent invoice next morning with combined postage (he bid and won two items) and sent a gentle reminder on Wednesday. The guy has several hundred positive feedback pointsand is from a well known business so have given him the benefit of the doubt for a week but I'm guessing it is time to open a case.

As PP is the preferred method of paying for goods from the UK, I usually pay right away 'after being hunched over the PC' for the last few minutes.  What is a bit sad though is that some sellers are UK only, as though its too much hassle to post a parcel overseas.  Some relent though after a whine or two!

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

How long do people normally give before opening a case with Ebay? I sold something on Sunday night, sent invoice next morning with combined postage (he bid and won two items) and sent a gentle reminder on Wednesday. The guy has several hundred positive feedback pointsand is from a well known business so have given him the benefit of the doubt for a week but I'm guessing it is time to open a case.

You can open a non-payment case 48 hours after the auction ends.  I had one recently and despite a polite reminder got no answer.  So I opened a case, and the buyer paid up within 10 minutes!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

After almost fifteen years of buying and selling on Ebay I had no non paying bidders until a couple of months ago when I got two on the bounce and it looks like I am about to notch up a third.

I've had a couple of weird going on though in those fifteen years though...

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments on non-payment, have e-mailed the bloke to say I'm opening a non-payment case on Monday morning if he has not paid. What irritates me is not so much the fact that people don't pay (although that is bad enough considering the message that appears on your screen when you bid) but just walking away without even the courtesy to tell the seller you've changed your mind and will not complete the purchase so at least they can relist the things and notify EBay so you get credited with the seller fees you're otherwise liable to pay.

• RMweb Premium

Something that this has made me realise is that EBay feedback isn't worth much. I've never given negative feedback as I have never felt a need to be anything other than very positive about buyers and sellers I've dealt with. Now, the first time I have ever felt like giving negative feedback I can't. I messaged the guy several times to say if he didn't want the items it was fine but could he let me know so we could just cancel the transaction and was completely ignored. If he'd answered I wouldn't have waited around, could have avoided opening a non-payment case and if he'd responded to my request that he just agree to cancel the transaction after opening the case wouldn't have had to wait four days. That is really what has annoyed me, not wanting the models I can understand and would not have been particularly bothered about but to just ignore polite messages strikes me as being discourteous and not right. Yet he has a 100% positive feedback score and I rather suspect he would not be happy if his customers (he owns a business that I suspect everybody on this board has heard of) behaved in the same way. And to rub salt in his feedback score has been going up regularly all the while I've been left waiting so it is not like he is incapacitated or anything. Very disappointing.

Have just been asked to cancel an item for someone which they won. Don't see why I should lose out have opened a none payment case so they get a non payment on their record. If you don't want it don't bid on it!

Mark

Quite right, its remarkably easy to retract a bid.

Just had another one today, I was selling some parts today and someone bombed the auction in the last minute, fair enough not complaining, he then contacts me to say "I am not paying, I entered the wrong amount and didnt put a decimal point in the right place". Fair enough I thought, send a cancellation through and offer to the under bidder. The under bidder then gets back to me saying that I should offer him the parts at half price and INCLUDE the p&p as well. Seems very fishy to me, and both now added to my black list. Does this sort of thing happen a lot?

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Got an odd one on my hands at the moment.  Got a free polybag of Lego with a recent purchase, it was not a theme that I collect so listed it Buy it Now with free postage.  Fifteen minutes later someone duly presses Buy it Now and buys it but then disappears off into the night without any communication or payment.

Why would someone press Buy It Now and then not pay?  It doesn't make any sense!!

• 2 years later...

I've been having quite a few issues with people purchasing and then just disappearing of the face of the earth recently. Ignoring all correspondence.  The most recent one, did get in touch though and clearly changed his mind saying he didn't want to purchase it!  Even had him telling me to get over it and move on, when I said I'd be opening a case against him to recover my fee. When said case was opened, he messaged again asking why I couldn't just let it go and move on!

Had three in a week. Plus a couple at the end of last year. All bid and then just mysteriously vanish.

Another buyer returned an item claiming a fault, tested, nothing wrong with it, duly relisted and then he asked me to sell to him again. Said no, he then called me a liar for saying it was him that was at fault (clearly he had had a faulty decoder, but wouldn't admit as much). eBay were just not interested and couldn't have cared that I was £10 down on that sale.

Have decided to just give up and manage with scouring toy fairs or paying a bit more of a premium from some shops for those desirable items.  Just not a level playing field anymore!

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

Never had it, not a massive seller, probably about 300 items over 15 years, mostly in the last two years. Items up to £3000 or so. Describe well, put decent photos, be honest. Never had a single problem.