RMweb

The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

• RMweb Gold

Not sure that's helpful advice; I've phoned three times and always got an ansafone on which I have left messages. No one has ever called back. Other people seem to have happier experiences.

Paul

It was perfectly good advice. (once you get an answer)

The sound fitted models should arrive first followed by trailing cars and DCC ready versions.  

We have a finished set ready to take to Glasgow show and it's absolutely brilliant.  It looks so good you won't want to take it out of the box.....Ill post some pics as soon as I can so you can see for yourself.  

So, if I have ordered a sound-fitted set and an extra trailer car, will I be getting two deliveries?

Won't the UIC platform clearances on HS2 mean that the 'standard UK' loading gauge stock will end up with large gaps between the platform edges and the doorways when stopped at HS2 stations?

Gauntlet track?  As here (2nd picture)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95609-unusual-pw-configurations-thread-both-real-and-model/page-4&do=findComment&comment=1800651

• Like 1

Yes, that would work, but such tracks are pretty rare in the UK.

Actually I think it's called a 'Gantlet Track' in the US. I've been thinking of doing something like it on my N Gauge American layout, but I'd have to rebuild the associated bridge entirely, not something to be undertaken lightly. 

I like the look of the E-Train book cover, and I hope you guys like the writing inside too, as Paul Leadley and I wrote it.   :D

All looks good in the packaging, and the book looks very impressive, larger than I thought it was going to be....

All we need now are the models delivered, cannot wait, still hard to believe that a model of the train is finally going to happen.

Being part of the team to produce the model, I still thought I would never see the day, a massive thanks must go to Jason, Bill, Dan and the rest of the rapido team for involving the APT-E group in the model creation.

Paul

Edited by apt-e

I was wondering where in the world all of the APT-Es will end up

I suspect most will go to the UK.

I know of one that will end up in Australia, soon I am hoping

Maybe Locomotion or Rapido would know and be willing to share that information with us

yours

John

• RMweb Gold

Actually I think it's called a 'Gantlet Track' in the US.

There's some on the Croydon Tramlink at Reeves Corner.

Apparently it can be spelt Gantlet or Gauntlet, but it's always pronounced Gantlet.

Edited to correct my brainstorm from DLR to Croydon Tramlink.

Edited by Budgie

Actually I think it's called a 'Gantlet Track' in the US. I've been thinking of doing something like it on my N Gauge American layout, but I'd have to rebuild the associated bridge entirely, not something to be undertaken lightly. 

I like the look of the E-Train book cover, and I hope you guys like the writing inside too, as Paul Leadley and I wrote it.   :D

I’m sure we shall!

• RMweb Premium

How about doing what they did on the original Eurostars and simply fit the UK Gauge ones with retractable steps / bridging plates for use at HS2 stations. Far simpler than messing about with Gauntleted track and all the signalling & p-way complications it brings.

I was wondering where in the world all of the APT-Es will end up

I suspect most will go to the UK.

There will be a GLUT of E-Trains on the show circuit later in the year I'm sure. No GWR branch line layout will be complete without an E-Train making a 'test run' along its length, but maybe not at 152.4 mph.   :D

There's some on the DLR at Reeves Corner.

Apparently it can be spelt Gantlet or Gauntlet, but it's always pronounced Gantlet.

Ahah, I've only been on the DLR once, in its very early days, I'll have to ride it again and look out for the gantlet track, thanks.

The time my wife and I rode on it she spotted a familiar figure in the coach ahead of us, which was weird as I thought he was in the USA, but it really did turn out to be Dr. Alan Bing, who was one of the leading lights  on the APT suspension design and development. The 'virtual pivot' about which the APT-E tilts is called the 'Bing Line' in his honour.

How about doing what they did on the original Eurostars and simply fit the UK Gauge ones with retractable steps / bridging plates for use at HS2 stations. Far simpler than messing about with Gauntleted track and all the signalling & p-way complications it brings.

Sounds a good idea, I didn't know how they got round that issue. Presumably the UK Gauge ones actually had narrower body shells than the standard ones?

• RMweb Gold

There will be a GLUT of E-Trains on the show circuit later in the year I'm sure. No GWR branch line layout will be complete without an E-Train making a 'test run' along its length, but maybe not at 152.4 mph.   :D

Shame I won't have mine for next weekend otherwise it would be making an appearance at a 1958 colliery LOL

• Like 1