Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

I saw a really nice storage tube  / box at Utrecht Eurospoor which can be made to the required length and had folding sides with foam to grip the model when stowed. I must try and find the details although it wasnt cheap, it may be worth getting one for this model so it can be kept joined together

This? http://shop.train-safe.de/en/HO/Gauge/H03L-Maerklin/Train-Safe-Travel/TRAIN-SAFE-Travel-Gauge-H0.html

Ordered one yesterday my self, lead time 2 weeks.

• Like 1

An alternative is available here http://www.wawiko.com. It does not have the groove cut out in the bottom or all of the other sophistication of train-safe but it is cheaper. I have just received mine from him and APT-E looks great sitting in there Edited by Shovelto

• RMweb Gold

Yes thats the one. Looks very well designed and ac lot more than electrical trunking although I am sure something a bit more crude could be done DIY. However the foam is profiled to be able to hold a variety of stock types. It also has rails and an adaptor clip that you can fix to an end of track on a layout so it can be driven into the storage box.

Guest Digital

Well I received mine today, as per instructions I read the booklet before opening. The box and packaging are superb. Haven't had the vehicles out yet but they look stunning. The accompanying book on the history and development of the APT-E is excellent.

OK can anyone recommend a storage box that will accommodate the fully assembled train without having to take it apart each time? It's going to have to be court feet long.

A fellow RMWEB member earlier in this thread uses Train-Safe http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87114-the-official-rapido-apt-e-thread/?p=2165089

Following his excellent advice I got one myself from the Hobby Shop in Faversham. (Note the one I have is a Train-Safe Vision)

Really nice case and if you buy the Vision version you can add the adaptor shown in this video you have no need to handle the APT-E to place it on and off your layout. (Note there are several different versions of the Train Safe some with rails fitted which can be powered up and some without rails fitted)

I just added an extra siding with the adaptor.

John

Edited by Digital
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Looks good digital, did you order 120 or 150cm? If anyone has an assembled 4 car set would you be kind enough to measure it from Nose to Nose, I have a case which is 120cm which I could adapt if the APT-E was around that length

Edited by 7013

Guest Digital

I ordered the Train Safe Vision 120cm.

My advice if ordering would be to telephone  the Hobby Shop to ensure you get the correct version for your needs.

John

Edited by Digital

Anyone else get a tracking email?

Yes but that turned out to be some socks.

Yesterday's APT-E arrival was a complete surprise.

Looks good digital, did you order 120 or 150cm? If anyone has an assembled 4 car set would you be kind enough to measure it from Nose to Nose, I have a case which is 120cm which I could adapt if the APT-E was around that length

I asked a mate to measure his (the guy who made the video a few pages back) and he came back with this: 3 foot 9 1/2 inches long nose tip to nose tip. So the 4 foot train case will be bang on as allows around 1 & 1/4" gap at either end for padding.

So I ordered 120cm with that in mind.

Hi everyone,

We are very busy in here as you all know!  I have sent out a newsletter today to explain the shipping process I will be following in the coming days.

I have said it before but please be patient.  Everyone who has paid in full is working their way through our system and the models will be with you as quickly as possible.  Any customer who orders late will have their orders processed after everyone else is happy.

If you haven't subscribed to our newsletter, here is what it said

APT-E

Dispatch information

Due to the increase in telephone calls, emails and people popping in to the museum it is increasingly difficult to get models sent out as quickly as we would like. We did say that shipping for the APT-E models would take a few weeks, and it will.

Please be patient and your models will be with you as quickly as possible.

A good number of both Sound and Non Sound sets have already been dispatched and the process for sending out the remaining models will be as follows-

All paid for Sound models will be followed by Sound models with Trailing Cars.

Then, all paid for DCC Ready Non-Sound models will be shipped followed by DCC Ready Non-Sound with Trailing Cars.

Unfortunately you will not be able to collect models from the museum unless a time and date has been pre-arranged.  The APT-E sets are stored in a separate location.

The models office and the dispatch room will be closed at weekends.

• Like 1

I'm not too fussed about getting mine in a hurry, mainly because I've got nowhere to run it! It could shuttle backwards and forwards a foot or so on my shunting plank layout, but that's hardly going to do it justice. And I don't have a suitable test track either at the moment, as there isn't space in my study and work in the loft is nowhere near complete. I don't even have cabinet space for it when assembled - the longest shelf is around 30 inches, which isn't room for a four-car set. So it will stay in the box for a while, until circumstances change.

APT-E spotted today running clearance trials in Cornwall.

[/url]APT-E today running clearance trials in Cornwall by mailrail, on Flickr">http://26083590071_5e36b830c3_k.jpgAPT-E today running clearance trials in Cornwall by mailrail, on Flickr

So far trials have been successful, this is the first known picture of the train in Cornwall and has been seen passing Tregoodwater Road station in both directions, although it has yet to venture down the Camelwell Bay branch, but it can only be a matter of time!

[/url] APT-E York National Railway Museum 1976. >APT-E York National Railway Museum 1976. by mailrail, on Flickr">http://25876585030_7e9c930b14_k.jpgAPT-E York National Railway Museum 1976. by mailrail, on Flickr

APT-E York National Railway Museum 1976,  and a likely looking bunch pose in front of the APT-E. We had traveled up from the home counties aboard a special and if I remember rightly the class33 came off somewhere in north west London it's place being taken by a 47. We had a mk1 compartment to ourselves there being 6 of us, I have vague recollections of the Newcastle Brown cans piling up on the way home and PD being the artist among  us had brought his painting set and painted bullet holes on the window.

For the record left to right the culprits are Frank, Rob, Paul ('PDM'), Warren, Pete.

[/url] APT-E York National Railway Museum 1996. >APT-E York National Railway Museum 1996. by mailrail, on Flickr">http://25546728133_5c155b89bf_k.jpgAPT-E York National Railway Museum 1996. by mailrail, on Flickr

APT-E York National Railway Museum 1996. 20years after the previous picture and the APT-E standing in the museum yard looking  forlorn and uncared for.
We had traveled up from Cornwall 2 days before and were exhibiting Trehayn the Bodmin and Districts MRC 00 gauge layout at the Easter York show, I had ducked out of operating for the afternoon to visit the museum.
  • Like 2

Finally managed to get through on phone to Sandra this morning and got an upgrade to the sound version. I think my wife and neighbours will be puzzled about the Easter eggs with ear defenders inside........

Thanks Sandra.

Well it arrived today BUT not the sound version expected despite talking direct with Sandra AND providing my credit card details for the additional cost. I'm not happy with this at all, my neighbour took in luckily as no notification from either Locomotion or the carrier presumably UPS.

I really do give up with Locomotion.......

Well it arrived today BUT not the sound version expected despite talking direct with Sandra AND providing my credit card details for the additional cost. I'm not happy with this at all, my neighbour took in luckily as no notification from either Locomotion or the carrier presumably UPS.

I really do give up with Locomotion.......

Don't give up. Contact them.

Can you imagine what it is like to have 2000 boxes which need to go out to various different locations?

No company gets everything right all the time so give them a chance to put it right.

It sounds like they are being bombarded with queries of 'where is my model' which are pointless & just slowing down things for everyone else.

You have a genuine query & I expect they will put a sound fitted model aside for you if they have one spare from a cancelled order.

I agree with Pete, Locomotion has been fantastic on every order I have had with them which is rare. I've had more hassle with Hattons and that's a bigger setup so worth the call.

My only comment is that It's clear people are a bit overwhelmed with the task of getting these out. And even on Rapido's side (granted theirs time difference) they haven't been the quickest at responding to any issues.

I know Bill was trying despite being at the York show and is travelling so I can't exactly hold it against them but I would have expected on a first UK launch having someone on hand to reply to emails about a possible fault should be high on the list. Even just holding messages. Part of me thinks I'm just impatient.

Just my thoughts.

Don't give up. Contact them.

Can you imagine what it is like to have 2000 boxes which need to go out to various different locations?

No company gets everything right all the time so give them a chance to put it right.

It sounds like they are being bombarded with queries of 'where is my model' which are pointless & just slowing down things for everyone else.

You have a genuine query & I expect they will put a sound fitted model aside for you if they have one spare from a cancelled order.

I have in writing but based on various previous attempts I am not holding my breath.......

Edited by Martin_R

Got mine at last! met the lovely Sandra when I picked it up,had a laugh about my earlier constructive criticism on rmweb I would recommend ringing up if your collecting in person as I hit on lucky as there was some in main building already,took my time putting together,it's easy but a bit fiddly tilting the pins together follow instructions and tilt at 10degree angle,runs perfect,nice book with it.bought some cable case from B+Q to house it .happy days cheers locomotion and rapido I suppose ill have to order the hst now

I think I may have missed something here .... I spoke to the sales guys and was told someone would call me when my loco was ready to be shipped ( sound version ) but I have not had a call. when and how have you guys paid the remainder of your balance as when I looked online there didn't seem to be a way of connecting my payment to my deposit payment that I have already made ?

Have I missed something really obvious ??

• RMweb Gold

I think I may have missed something here .... I spoke to the sales guys and was told someone would call me when my loco was ready to be shipped ( sound version ) but I have not had a call. when and how have you guys paid the remainder of your balance as when I looked online there didn't seem to be a way of connecting my payment to my deposit payment that I have already made ?

No there's not, just pay the balance, either on-line or by phone etc as per the email you got early this month. You rely on Locomotion to match up the two payments as there is no user account etc on the locomotion web site etc, so you can't check status of orders etc etc like you can with a more common retailer.....

Anthony566, from my order for the APTe and the previous Atlantic, the deposit and final payments seem to be married up by a combination your e-mail address and billing name and address details and delivery details  which you give when you pay on-line. For the APTe the only payment option available 'on-line' now is the final payment balance, so there is no risk, unless some of those name address and e-mail details have changed since you paid the deposit. 

I've just received my DCC ready version, No 41, from UPS. It was originally going to be a present to me from my wife, for our ruby anniversary, but due to the manufacturing delay, she bought me a Silver Fox class 120 Swindon dmu, which I've just finished detailing. The APTe became my 63rd birthday present from her in 3 weeks time, so thanks to Sandra and all at Locomotion that my birthday present has arrived early. I have really enjoyed the build up to getting this model and the prototype information and remembrances from Kit, and the design and production updates from Bill and Jason at Rapido. This has been a model (excuse the pun) of how to deliver a new model prototype. Many thanks to all involved and yes I'm v interested in the proposed prototype HST.

Edited by rembrow

I'm not sure if any commercial operation will do that, what with it being such a limited market. I've got the artwork on my laptop to print my own decals for them right now, but then I may have the only original TC1 antimacassar left on the planet! If anyone else wants to give it a go here's a scan of the actual thing. It's worth noting that there's a giant version of it printed in background on the box lid of the model too. 

[Later] For those of you who are mathematically challenged, scaling the drawing means the blue icon needs to be 2.142 mm in dia for your model..............  :D

4QvdhY.jpg

We would, Kit. And hopefully make as decent a job as your Pine Tree decals for you! Fire me an email.

• Like 2

Ok thanks for the replies .... seems I have somehow missed the email that was sent out ( ill be checking my junk mail box when I get home ) ..... I will just complete the payment then and hold my breath :)

Payment updated ......

as it was that long ago I seem to remember I ordered 2 extra coaches ..... would I have paid for these at the time as there was no option for this on the site ??

Edited by Anthony566

Ok thanks for the replies .... seems I have somehow missed the email that was sent out ( ill be checking my junk mail box when I get home ) ..... I will just complete the payment then and hold my breath :)

Payment updated ......

as it was that long ago I seem to remember I ordered 2 extra coaches ..... would I have paid for these at the time as there was no option for this on the site ??

It's probably not you, my mate has ordered one & not heard a thing either until I told him. He phoned them & was told not everyone has been contacted yet! I'm sure you will soon :)