The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

Non-sound? I weep for you! Fortunately, it is possible to upgrade.

Until I build a layout for it to run on then it doesn't matter how many chips are fitted, there's no sound coming from the box. Since a suitable layout is many, many years away (small shunting things are too much fun) then I'm happy. Cracking model and following progress has been a joy.

I bought this to add to my APT obsession collection. It will join the newly aquired APT-P 2nd class seat cushions and covers for the moment until I work out a way of displaying this stuff.

Also, sound really needs DCC and it's well known by all right-thinking people, that DCC is the work of the devil.

• Like 2

Until I build a layout for it to run on then it doesn't matter how many chips are fitted, there's no sound coming from the box. Since a suitable layout is many, many years away (small shunting things are too much fun) then I'm happy. Cracking model and following progress has been a joy.

I bought this to add to my APT obsession collection. It will join the newly aquired APT-P 2nd class seat cushions and covers for the moment until I work out a way of displaying this stuff.

Also, sound really needs DCC and it's well known by all right-thinking people, that DCC is the work of the devil.

:devil:

Calling Mr. Chetter! Calling Mr. Chetter! Come and sort this man out please! Legoman, come and biff this character, please!

He's a proper Ludd. :) I mentioned to him earlier I'd trashed my mobile and he helpfully sent me some repair instructions - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b076wf8f/james-may-the-reassembler-2-telephone

I think we should send James May a copy of pages 6 & 7 of the new Bachmann catalogue. (The bits that go to make up a Class 101 all laid out.) We might not be quite so critical of manufacturers if we see what he produces!

• Like 1

I think we should send James May a copy of pages 6 & 7 of the new Bachmann catalogue. (The bits that go to make up a Class 101 all laid out.) We might not be quite so critical of manufacturers if we see what he produces!

You should see some of the parts diagrams that Rapido include with some of their products. Yikes.

You should see some of the parts diagrams that Rapido include with some of their products. Yikes.

Such as the diagrams with the APT-E? I counted 79 different parts in PC1. I won’t count the total number of parts until my eyes unsquint.

Rivet Counter, “2,594,623, 2,594,624, 2,594,625…”

Mrs. R.C., “Dinner’s ready, Darling!”

R.C., “*†&‡$%! 1, 2, 3…”

(The P.C. conscious may reverse the genders if they wish.)

• RMweb Gold

Well the chance to struggle coupling together would be great but it will have to wait. Bet you guys don't know how to solve this one. Goods arrived yesterday and there is no PC-1 but there are 2 PC-2's. Anybody else got my PC-1?

Have been in touch with Locomotion but not suprisingly they must be up to their eyes in it right now as no response.

Does anyone know if they are shipping these internationally via UPS as well? I've had mine ordered since 25/06/2014, so at this point not too worried about an extra week or two if its coming by UPS...  Are they shipping international orders last? I saw someone post that earlier, so just wondered and I know the folks at Locomotion are really busy so don't really want to bug them! :)

Thanks

I am the one who started the rumour about shipping international orders last, as Locomotion have not confirmed that in any of their updates. It is what I would do if only 10% of my sales were international and likely to be held in customs for several days anyway. Get the other 90% happy as they'll receive them within 2 days of dispatch.

Well the chance to struggle coupling together would be great but it will have to wait. Bet you guys don't know how to solve this one. Goods arrived yesterday and there is no PC-1 but there are 2 PC-2's. Anybody else got my PC-1?

Have been in touch with Locomotion but not suprisingly they must be up to their eyes in it right now as no response.

Hi there, Can you return the PC2 please to  Rapido/SH Models 40 Meadowfield Road, Darlington DL3 0DX with a note with what's wrong! & your address and we will sort you out, all the second batch is due shortly along with the spares. Thanks Charlie (DCKits)

You could contact legomanbiffo at DC Kits. Contact details in post 2611.

The APTe Decoders and speakers are available from DCKits/Legomanbiffo, 111 Norwood Crescent, Leeds LS286NG 01132 563415

Function List Attached

F0 Directional head & tail lights

F1 Gas turbine drive

F2 Playable high horn

F3 Playable low horn

F4 Coupling hook (random 1 of 3)

F5 Automatic hydro-kinetic braking fan

F6 Driver's door slam (random 1 of 3)

F7 Dale auxiliary diesel generator

F8 Random air purge

F9 Windscreen wipers

F10 Additional turbine start

F11 Additional turbine start

F12 Montage of intercom chat from the record-breaking run

F13 Tilt pump

F14 Crew access steps (random 1 of 3)

F18 Detonators

F19 Directional cab lights

• RMweb Gold

Hi there, Can you return the PC2 please to  Rapido/SH Models 40 Meadowfield Road, Darlington DL3 0DX with a note with what's wrong! & your address and we will sort you out, all the second batch is due shortly along with the spares. Thanks Charlie (DCKits)

Thanks for your support. I will let Locomotion know what the plan is as the purchase was from those guys. Cheers

• RMweb Premium

The APTe Decoders and speakers are available from DCKits/Legomanbiffo, 111 Norwood Crescent, Leeds LS286NG 01132 563415

Function List Attached

F18 Detonators

:O I didn't know we were supposed to blow these up...??!!

This has to be the best model in oo I have ever seen, such a refreshing change from Bachmann and Hornby stuff. I like the humour in the instructions, the packaging is first rate and I can't wait to set it up this weekend. Defo going to order the hst as I'm sure it will be just as good.

Yes please.  I've not received mine yet, but I have had a helpful email from Sandra saying she will delay sending mine until he end of the month, as I will be away on holiday from next week.

Waiting patiently...

Despite the helpful email from Sandra, mine arrived this afternoon...  Fortunately plenty of time to play before going away on holiday next week.  :sungum:  Blown away by the quality of the model.

I am the one who started the rumour about shipping international orders last, as Locomotion have not confirmed that in any of their updates. It is what I would do if only 10% of my sales were international and likely to be held in customs for several days anyway. Get the other 90% happy as they'll receive them within 2 days of dispatch.

A better business practice would be to ship the international orders first, especially if they have a few extra days lead time, that would have them arrive at the same time as those in the UK and would keep all the customers happy. If the business practice is going to be ship international orders last, then there is no real incentive for international customers to put down a deposit or pre-pay for future models until the very end right?

Although it sounds like the next time Locomotion do this, they might want to enlist the help of a local model railway club or something, have a few dozen folks come in and help box / package, then give them a private tour of the NRM or something.. or a discount on their models..

This has to be the best model in oo I have ever seen, such a refreshing change from Bachmann and Hornby stuff. I like the humour in the instructions, the packaging is first rate and I can't wait to set it up this weekend. Defo going to order the hst as I'm sure it will be just as good.

As best, I hesitate between this or the Bachmann blue pullman. The Pullman has table lights and coach lights, both can be turned on and off independently by DCC. The Apt-E had coach lights and computer lights but cannot turn either off without actually cutting power to the track.

However the APT-E has a super tilt mechanism which gently tilts the coaches realistically. I have seen other tilt mechs which are rather brutal. It needs just one chip to power both ends, has speakers both ends controlled by the same chip, a remarkable way of passing power between each vehicle.

I,m biased and will vote APT-E....

Edited by JSpencer

A better business practice would be to ship the international orders first, especially if they have a few extra days lead time, that would have them arrive at the same time as those in the UK and would keep all the customers happy. If the business practice is going to be ship international orders last, then there is no real incentive for international customers to put down a deposit or pre-pay for future models until the very end right?

Yes but please remember this is not a business and are not experienced in commerce but are doing this to give us a fantastic model to help raise funds to preserve these prototypes to refer to to replicate in model form.

There is no reason to not order a one off never available again model just because it was not posted in preferred order.