RMweb

The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

They're just pieces of paper with a number written on them. Mine could have been the 683rd to be assembled, the 114th to be packed in a box, the 1029th to be taken off the delivery pallet but just happened to be the one on top of a pile when they were ready to be sent out.

• Like 1

2nd version: APTe as it sat after 30 years at the NRM?

LOL, now that has been suggested before the model even came out.

Jason/Bill if you are reading, are there any scrap body shells kicking around, would love to have a go at this lol.

If a second run cost £500 a piece (guessed price jump since the original based on the Blue Pullman increase), there would be very few takers I expect, and many of those could probably be satisfied by the ones feeding on ebay for the moment.

Thanks for your help ! I am aware of the search feature sometimes it is know what to search for. 

The largest percentage of the test runs were in the full 4-car form.

We only ran in 3-car form directly after Rebuild 1, and those runs were limited to the Mickelover Test Track, the Old Dalby Test Track and the MML down to Liecester, with the odd excursion to Beeston Freightliner Depot to refuel. 

Soon after that we put TC1 back in the consist, after it's vibration tests had finished, and all the rest of the testing was in 4-car form. 

Remember that for full authenticity the centre car in 3-car form has to be TC2.

The train wouldn't run without TC2 being present as most of the control systems were operated from there, no matter what the crew thought............  :D

I bought the train as I loved the real thing and now it's my favourite model, not to make a profit or worry about how rare it is,run the train and enjoy it gentlemen and stop worrying about certificate numbers or if rapido make any more.

• Like 2

I did know about the odds and evens, it was mentioned some time back, And yes I get it now, Obviously if you were at the 3D scan unveil you would have been your of number Doh! (I need Jitmen's user picture!!!)

I couldn't make it, but did order and pay for in full the DCC sound unit and 2 extra coaches later that day.

Certificate numbers don't bother me, Just curious, The only number that interests me is 2,

Proud owner of 2 E-Trains.

Regards Craig.

I bought the train as I loved the real thing and now it's my favourite model, not to make a profit or worry about how rare it is,run the train and enjoy it gentlemen and stop worrying about certificate numbers or if rapido make any more.

I knew about E-Train from being a kid, but not why I bought the model, Just thought it looked interesting and was supporting NRM and Locomotion. But the more I've read about it on here and now owning it, I do absolutely love it, clearly proven by the amount of time and money I've spent on the pair of them. She is getting close to topdog, But my Heljan 47 police livery is still Number 1, Always catches your eye first then E-Train second.

Slowly changing though,

Regards Craig.

Edited by UP 4000
  • Like 1

The APT-E review appears in both BRM & Hornby magazines.................I don't have my copies yet (living overseas) but will  have the APT-E before the mags so seems a bit irrelevant having a write up about a product one cannot buy and those that do have one know what it is about anyway.

The reviews act as advertising for the model & the manufacturer. After reading the review, many who would not otherwise may look out for Rapido's next model.

Model Rail and Railway Modeller have reviewed it as well. MR's review is as detailed as they would give any other major release, and they justify this by pointing out that the review also benefits anyone who might buy one second hand or by being successful at getting onto the Locomotion reserve list. RM's review seems a bit more cursory, but that seems in line with their review policy anyway - they don't give as much space to reviews as some of the other mags. It is, however, featured on their front cover.

• RMweb Premium

They will make more APT-E models, they are not going to waste all that expensive tooling for just 2000 models and never use the tooling again.

Why not - Try telling Drax/Hornby.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

They will make more APT-E models, they are not going to waste all that expensive tooling for just 2000 models and never use the tooling again.

If the tooling is paid off there may be no need to run it again, and more to the point Locomotion would have to be convinced that there was sufficient demand to cover a minimum order number for a second production run (or be prepared to hold stock). Plus even though tooling paid for could mean more profit (or cheaper models) the production costs will inevitably have increased from the initial run. So far from a straight-forward decision...

Doubtless the NRM has a list of people who missed the chance to pre-order. I think that they would want that list to stretch to a few hundred before considering a further run.

Likewise here are some other factors:

1/ some people will have changed there minds or left the hobby, these will consume a part of the list

2/ There is probably - say - a 5% excess in case of returns and doubtless they will need to leave a month between sending out the last one and giving people time to receive and check their model is OK. Once that has passed, the excess can be sold to people in the list

3/ at any given moment since release, you can find 4 of the things on e-bay

To be viable, they would need at least 500 takers at a somewhat higher price (sure the tooling is paid for but it still needs maintenance and cleaning before reuse).

I guess they will observe, but I would not expect a new run for at least a few years. Likewise, they can equally decide 2000 is is just 2000 and there are no more.