The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

• Administrators

BRM May includes a 4-page review of the Rapido/Locomotion Models BR APT-E, written and photographed by Andy York. Here's one of Andy's many stunning pictures from this month's magazine. The APT-E also graces this month's front cover! Click here to buy BRM May.

post-14186-0-26380500-1461921408_thumb.jpg

post-14186-0-32759100-1461921418.jpg

BRM prides itself on offering the latest product news and most in-depth product reviews every issue! Subscribing to BRM guarantees your copy every issue, delivered direct to your door for free! Click here for our latest subscription offers!

Here is 12 minutes of the APT-E during its running in session on my layout, features GoPro Hero4 Session chase shots of both PC-1 and PC-2. If you don't have a spare 12 minutes, then you'll at least want to check things out around 08:00 as there are some interesting shots of the tilt system in action!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHWJ_CamyLk

Now that its here I can actually go finish the scenery without worrying about the APT-E clearances! ;)

Enjoy!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Great video. It's good to see trains running at speed.

Makes a very pleasant change from the ones that crawl at scale walking pace in an attempt to be "realistic"

BTW What is the camera train that goes even faster than the APT-E?

Edited by Colin_McLeod
  • Like 1

Here is 12 minutes of the APT-E during its running in session on my layout, features GoPro Hero4 Session chase shots of both PC-1 and PC-2. If you don't have a spare 12 minutes, then you'll at least want to check things out around 08:00 as there are some interesting shots of the tilt system in action!

Now that its here I can actually go finish the scenery without worrying about the APT-E clearances! ;)

Enjoy!

Amazing footage thanks for sharing

Great video. It's good to see trains running at speed.

Makes a very pleasant change from the ones that crawl at scale walking pace in an attempt to be "realistic"

BTW What is the camera train that goes even faster than the APT-E?

Its a Bachmann Jinty (weathered) pulling a conflat wagon with the GoPro Hero 4 session blue tacked to it! :O

• Like 3

I was at the Bristol Show today, actually at Thornbury in recent years, and I'm sad to report that not a single E-Train model was visible. 

Actually there were very few 'Modern Image' layouts there, at least those in BR Blue anyway.

It seems a waste of money by BR that the apt-e was just left surely more coaches could of been added and it could have ran some sort of service?

Not at all, it was designed purely as an experimental train, and some elements were not suitable for passenger use, not the least being the tilt system.

In any case, post the 1973 fuel crisis, when the cost of fuel quadrupled overnight, the gas turbine was a non-starter economically. BR would have lost money hand over fist if an extended E-Train had gone into service.

• Like 3

Enjoy!

Why did they bother with the APT-E if a Jinty can go at 150 mph? :) Nice video - I must get mine out of its box.

Not at all, it was designed purely as an experimental train, and some elements were not suitable for passenger use, not the least being the tilt system.

In any case, post the 1973 fuel crisis, when the cost of fuel quadrupled overnight, the gas turbine was a non-starter economically. BR would have lost money hand over fist if an extended E-Train had gone into service.

I wonder, if Craig’s magnificent 8+2 configuration had been repeated in reality, what sort of speed those ten gas turbines would have managed.

• Like 2

Why did they bother with the APT-E if a Jinty can go at 150 mph?  :) Nice video - I must get mine out of its box.

Jinty's don't tilt, and even if they did I'm not sure anyone's ever made a servo-valve that would work on steam.........

I wonder, if Craig’s magnificent 8+2 configuration had been repeated in reality, what sort of speed those ten gas turbines would have managed.

Good question, with only 3500 hp I have my doubts if it'd reached even 125 mph. There'd be a lot more aero drag with that many trailer cars and a LOT more wheel/axle friction with all those extra E1T bogies.

I expect there a formula for it somewhere, but I don't know where it is.

• Like 1

Which?,

The Jinty or the APT?

Regards

Ian

Both! I have been a bit hesitant to get the APT out - I need to set up a test track as my layout will cause an APT rhino-ectomy. The Jinty is planned for a sound chip and possibly working lights - I just need to order the chip as the file isn't available as a download in the ESU website.  

Jinty's don't tilt, and even if they did I'm not sure anyone's ever made a servo-valve that would work on steam.........

Good question, with only 3500 hp I have my doubts if it'd reached even 125 mph. There'd be a lot more aero drag with that many trailer cars and a LOT more wheel/axle friction with all those extra E1T bogies.

I expect there a formula for it somewhere, but I don't know where it is.

Here you are Kit - a prototype for everything...  Although the manual tilting device might be hard to operate at speeds above 150 mph :)

post-27796-0-14571500-1461977213.jpg

• RMweb Gold
Er your link to the 1000 includes-

"The Class 1000 Shinkansen is available in model form from Micro Ace."

;)

Great set of links though which is why I noticed :)

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

Thanks for that info

Thank You, Really appreciate it, I'd like to see mine run at high speed! One Day, One Day.

I wonder how large a layout one needs to really let the model (as the basic 4-car set) rip? My layout is something over 20ft long and eight feet wide, with curves in excess of three feet radius. I've dared to let it up to 92 on the 128-step speed setting of the Digitrax controller but I'm not sure I'll take it any faster. The road-holding is superb and I'm guessing that the combination of the rigidity imposed by the articulation and the benefit of actually tilting assists the model just like it did the real thing. Can I ask those who've actually had it up to full speed how big the layout was that you did it on? And what sort of radius were the curves? I guess those with access to substantial club layouts will have had the highest speeds. I'm asking purely out of personal curiosity because, in a sense this model is as experimental as the real thing was. Also, I wouldn't want anyone to be tempted to push theirs beyond the limits of their own layout. It's too good a model to risk damaging it, and that's why I've been pretty cautious so far - the curves on my layout are very close to the baseboard edges. It must be a long time since RMweb had 125pp of comment about a single new model. (CJL)

• Like 2