The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

Didn't the DB try that a few years, er, decades ago? Hm, it seems it was the DR, Deutsche Reichsbahn, not DB in those days.

Zrdiwv.jpg

Then there was the Bennie Railplane too, in Scotland.

CdiSj6.jpg

Even the Russians had a go, with TWO engines even!

aE4zmQ.jpg

But none of them were turbine powered........... 

The Bennie Railplane test track was actually based in my hometown (Milngavie - a northern suburb of Glasgow). All that survives, is the old shed, which is now the base for a timber merchant.

The only additional sign it was ever there, is a small blue plaque beside the timber merchant, and across from a well known Mc.fast-food outlet. 

The whole principal of the Bennie Railplane, was that it would be built over existing routes, with the railway being reserved for freight, and the railplane for passengers/fast parcels services. Bennie went bankrupt in 1937, though had he received the required finance, routes could have been built between Edinburgh and Glasgow; and Blackpool and Southport. 

The NRM has not been shy of scrapping or disposing of exhibits over the years. I believe the prototype Mk2 coach was scrapped for no other reason than it had a moth infestation in the upholstery which was going to cost money to cure. The NRM has far more exhibits than it can afford to display or maintain and the Shildon outstation only really came about as a way of storing some of those exhibits. One could question the policy of filling York with sales stalls in place of exhibits but its a case of finding a balance between conserving the collection and making enough income to do so. (CJL)

That's a problem common to almost all successful museums.The costs of storing and displaying (and restoring, which is a very different thing) all the artefacts that people would like them to keep vastly outweigh the resources they actually have available to spend on keeping them. 

Prototypes, in particular, are a problem for many technology (including transport) sector museums. Unless it happens to be something that was very well known in and of itself, then they tend to appeal mainly to the enthusiast (aka "anorak") visitor and don't have all that much attraction to the general public. Preserved examples of things that were actually used, displayed as closely as possible to the state in which they would have been used - whether that's a stove, a radio, an aircraft or a train - are easier for the public to relate to, as they can imagine themselves using them (or, at least, seeing them in use) had they lived in the relevant era. If you went to, say, Bletchley Park, would you prefer to see an actual example of a Turing-Welchman Bombe that had played a real part in codebreaking during WII, or one of the early experimental (and never fully functional) machines that were merely part of their development?

The NRM has the same issues with a lot of its collection, and it's simply impractical to be able to store and display everything. Focussing on the things that the ordinary, non-enthusiast visitor can relate to isn't just more profitable, it also makes sense from the perspective of a museum serving the community. Without infinite funds, we can't always please everybody all the time.

Guest spet0114

I thought that was on the Mid Norfolk

The VCT register lists it as still there, albeit no longer part of the national collection.

• RMweb Premium

Why was it necessary to cut the electrical cables apart? Didn't they have some sort of plugs, especially if they had been separated during the development?

I'm  not saying they are the same thing; but to think that a steam pump which has a 90 inch diameter piston; weighing a total of about 200 tons and able to move over 500 gallons of water in under 4 seconds is a "rustic" toy is very much mistaken. No, the engineering tollerances are not the same, but a lot of the theory is - it's about sourcing or re-making parts where they're not available, and finding expertise to acheive your goals.

Kit says there's no one around who worked on the traction systems - that's a great big issue; but ... there are people in the world with enough experience in turbine / alternator sets and associated technologies to be able to essentially re-engineer what exists. The biggest issue with this is money.

It would not be impossible (only expensive and complicated) to completely re-engineer PC1 with modern turbines and control equipment. No it wouldn't be authentic, but it would be operational. .... just an item for discussion ...

(oh, and as someone who actually drove 4472 when Tony Marchington owned her; I can't understand how the NRM managed to spend quite so much money on the restoration (Tony spent almost £2m restoring her in '99) - serious mis-management springs to mind)

I am merely stating the technology used to make a steam engine is rustic compared to a jet engine. The first steam engines appeared in the early 1800s. Engineering standards started to appear in the late 1800s (and there were several of them). I can make working mini replicas of steam pumps with relative ease but would have severe challenges making a replica mini jet engine.

My point is, yes you did very well restoring back to working order a 90 inch steam pump. I do not belittle that effort at all and congratulate you on it (if you have link telling the story, I will gladly like to see it as I do admire the effort believe me). It's just that the effort and techniques required for a jet engine are at least 10 fold given the mechanical parts have to function mechanically in conditions akin to an acetylene torch.

Why was it necessary to cut the electrical cables apart? Didn't they have some sort of plugs, especially if they had been separated during the development?

A VERY good question!

There's a fairly complex plug and socket area under the floor of all four vehicles, near the point where the Steering Beam ball joint attaches, but it takes an age to get into it, especially on the Trailer Cars, and I presume there was a time factor involved in the contract to move the train to Shildon.

The NRM didn't contact Paul Leadley to help out with the move until after the odd disaster had already taken place, like de-railing TC2 in the Yard while trying to move it too fast with the handling dollies! Paul phoned me and I gave myself 3 weeks leave (Being the Department Manager was rather handy....  :D) and I high-tailed it up to York. But by the time we got involved the damage to the cables had already been done.

Then there was the issue of the tilt jacks on PC1. The 3 car set had been moved to a new position in the Yard and Paul and I had carefully un-bolted much of the suspension linkages to enable us to dis-connect the Power Cars from TC1 the next morning. To make sure there were no potential accidents we put labels on various bits and pieces saying 'DO NOT REMOVE THESE BOLTS!'.

When we arrived back at the NRM the next morning the train looked like this........

fFtBzn.jpg

..... and two of the fitters were complaining that '......the ruddy thing fell over on us!' Needless to say they'd totally ignored our signs and removed the aforementioned bolts!  :nono:

A classic case of people without the required knowledge getting involved in things they really shouldn't.

• RMweb Gold

While I would not underestimate the size of the task it should not be impossible to reattach the cables. After all surgeons can reattach a bundle of nerve endings on the operating table. Alternatively try a full size version of the Rapido designed connectors lol

• RMweb Gold

While I would not underestimate the size of the task it should not be impossible to reattach the cables. After all surgeons can reattach a bundle of nerve endings on the operating table. Alternatively try a full size version of the Rapido designed connectors lol

Even the biggest large scale decoder wouldnt have enough function wires :jester:

Edited by roundhouse

Well aint that the bloody way, I paid at the beginning of the month, nothing yet so I left a message at LOcomotion at 12 oclock and then half an hour later there is a knock on the door and a UPS bloke is stood there with a very big box.

Only opened it to have a quick look and it looks bloomin brilliant, tiny but brilliant, well done all ad you can add me to the very long list of those who think it is an exquisite model.

And well done to Sandra and the team for getting these out, I bet you are sick to the back teeth of blue boxes,by now, oh when can I order a HST and 7 coaches?  :locomotive:

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 1

Now a question for everyone especially Kit is there anything else we can do to the model to make it more accurate

:D  :D

Not a lot, but things like the decals for the VIP seats in TC1 add a little bit of extra accuracy. I'm going to do some extra paintwork on the interior of mine to see how that works out, but the exterior looks darn nigh perfect to me. I've mentioned before about the 3D printed bits and pieces that Paul Leadley is working on, and they'll be good to see. 

It'll be interesting to see what the add-on industry produce for the model as time goes on.

My money's on etched brass oil lamp brackets.........  :D

• Like 3

Could just see a tail lamp hanging off the nose of PC2

No sooner the word..................  :D

j7WS09.jpg

Actually it's PC1, but see one APT-E Power Car and you've seen 'em all...............

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 5

Well that's it, My E Train saga is now over,

The sound version (No 116) arrived about 2 weeks ago with 2 extra TC's, runs and sounds beautiful albeit on a 6ft test track. It was quickly parked up in the vision display case.

The DCC ready one (No 1215) arrived today with extra TC's thought I'd only ordered 2 but no, 4 arrived with it, ( and 2 others yesterday), Hopefully both will get a run out on a makeshift track I'll set up over the weekend, Fingers crossed!

Can't praise enough Rapido, Locomotion, Sandra and everybody else who has put so much time and effort into this fine model, as the song says "Things can only get better" and I can't wait for the HSDT to come thundering through the door!!!

Does anyone know where to get the spares from? Not that either one of them is damaged, I'd just like to get hold of a spare bogie unit if that's possible?

Kind Regards,

Craig.

Edited by UP 4000

• RMweb Premium

Finally got my APT-E today. If anyone still hasn't got theirs it's worth giving Locomotion a ring to ask about it. Mine had been dispatched, and they'd even tried to deliver it. But of course UPS hadn't bothered to leave a card so I had no way of knowing it was languishing at a collection point a couple of miles away. Wonderful looking model, can't wait to try it out.

Thanks for the info on the spares, I'll get in touch with Charlie soon as I need the V4 for one of them and must get the class 43's V4's as well. Been meaning to for the past couple of years.

Thanks,

Craig.

Guessing that was while it was being shunted round

That was during its last ever run on the rails, when we moved the Power Cars from the NRM South Yard to the Thrall Works. That's me on the left looking worriedly at the centre bogie and hoping the Steering Beam wouldn't slew out of true. Actually it behaved perfectly, not bad after 29 years of doing nothing.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Quite agree. I work in IT and had a nasty moment the day a JCB put its shovel through the main telephone data cable in the town where I worked, That had over 20,000 cores and it took them only a couple of days to fix them all!

• Like 1