The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

The road-holding is superb and I'm guessing that the combination of the rigidity imposed by the articulation and the benefit of actually tilting assists the model just like it did the real thing. 

The tilt system had no effect on how well the train took the curves, it was intended solely for passenger comfort, somewhat ironic considering the advent of 'tilt sickness' on the APT-P some years later.

The curving ability of both APTs was due to Prof. Alan Wickens wheel/rail interaction work in the late 60s and early 70s, and centered on the wheel profile and the suspension system on the bogies.

To prove the lack of titling had no adverse effect on curving we did some test runs over the instrumented curve at Upper Broughton on the Test Track with TC1 tilted the WRONG way on the curve. This pic shows us setting up with the train standing still on the curve and TC1 is tilted right onto the bump stops, that's 12 degrees the wrong way.

CUs5JO.jpg

The second pic shows the actual test as the train passed over the curve. TC1 wasn't quite tilted the whole 12 deg. this time, it was more like 9 deg. but as I was aboard it during the test it felt like it was on its side!!  :O

zBAdwv.jpg

The test parameters were that we should not exceed the lateral forces exerted by a Deltic at 100 mph, even though we were doing around 130 at the time, and it was just fine when we looked at the results. 

Edited by Mr_Tilt

I have finally received my new toy only to discover I have two PC1s and no PC2! One could argue I have won on this affair compared to the pour soul with two PC2s and no PC1. Given mine is supposed to be sound fitted is there any way of identifying which is the correct PC1? 

A fellow RMWEB member earlier in this thread uses Train-Safe http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87114-the-official-rapido-apt-e-thread/?p=2165089

Following his excellent advice I got one myself from the Hobby Shop in Faversham. (Note the one I have is a Train-Safe Vision)

attachicon.gifTrain-Safe-APT-E.jpg

attachicon.gifTrain-Safe-APT-E-pic2.jpg

Really nice case and if you buy the Vision version you can add the adaptor shown in this video you have no need to handle the APT-E to place it on and off your layout. (Note there are several different versions of the Train Safe some with rails fitted which can be powered up and some without rails fitted)

I just added an extra siding with the adaptor.

John

Really nice case's, Mine's the same, Fits in the 1200mm with no problems.

There not the cheapest but I wouldn't put the E-Train in anything else, also have the Travel 1200mm as well so easy to move or transport about when need to, Got a 3000mm on order for the (Silver Snake "Service Use") but it's going to be another 2 weeks before that arrives. Where I'm going to put it or move it is beyond me, Should have thought about that first!!!

Hey Ho safety first, At least the E-Trains will be safe.

Regards Craig.

Take the upper body shells off and see which one has the decoder fitted, and that's the proper PC1.

Of course you may have TWO PC1s, in which case the guy with two PC2s is REALLY in trouble! 

Thank you for your suggestion. Looking inside from the articulated bogie end I can see a DCC chip in one and nothing in the other. All of this does not explain why the false PC1 does not move when coupled to the rest of the train, nor do the headlights come on. I think there may be more to this than just an incorrect body shell.

Thank you for your suggestion. Looking inside from the articulated bogie end I can see a DCC chip in one and nothing in the other. All of this does not explain why the false PC1 does not move when coupled to the rest of the train, nor do the headlights come on. I think there may be more to this than just an incorrect body shell.

Try removing one of the bogie units from a power car and connect both power cars together, see if that works, Even if all connectors look right it's always worth double checking then triple checking, they can be a swine to connect!

Check my video of "service Use https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38BFStuMUBA" You can see PC-2 stall out on the first run, this was a connection issue, it was not intended, but ran fine with PC-1 leading.

Due to the connectors there's no tolerance for any play within them.

Regards Craig.

• Like 1

Thank you for your suggestion. I have connected both power cars back-to back accross a single articulated bogie and they both work in this formation. This suggests a connection problem somewhere within the trailer cars then.

• Like 1

Interesting, someone has listed a sound equipped APT-E on GreedBay for an opening price of £325, which compared to the vertiginous prices the others are currently listed at, from just shy of 600 Sovs to just short of 750, is verging on the reasonable. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BR-Advanced-Passenger-Train-APT-E-Rapido-NRM-Locomotion-DCC-Sound-Brand-New-/121971604982?hash=item1c6612fdf6:g:5JcAAOSw3v5XI5qc

Looks like not all APT resellers go by the name of Robin Bersturde.

Thank you for your suggestion. I have connected both power cars back-to back accross a single articulated bogie and they both work in this formation. This suggests a connection problem somewhere within the trailer cars then.

That's good news, but I would strongly recommend you contact Sandra at Locomotion models to find out what's best to do regarding 2 PC-1's, you may need to send the entire set back so they can sort out what went wrong and supply you with PC-2.

They may be a delay in response as it is May Day Bank Holiday in the U.K,

Regards Craig.

I have spoken to Locomotion this afternoon but there was no-one there dealing with models, they won't be in until Tuesday as you say. It is bank holiday here on Thursday which leaves a short window!

At least I have had it running and can confirm it makes a lot of noise but does negotiate all of the obstacles on my layout including a tunnel, rock faces and bends close to walls. I have had to stop playing with it now as the neighbours will start complaining about the racket.

I have spoken to Locomotion this afternoon but there was no-one there dealing with models, they won't be in until Tuesday as you say. It is bank holiday here on Thursday which leaves a short window!

At least I have had it running and can confirm it makes a lot of noise but does negotiate all of the obstacles on my layout including a tunnel, rock faces and bends close to walls. I have had to stop playing with it now as the neighbours will start complaining about the racket.

Yes she is a noisy little thing, just wish I had a layout to annoy the neighbours!!!  One day soon, Hopefully!

Regards Craig.

To Sandra At Locomotion

I am a bit concerned as to the whereabouts of my Sound APT-E . I just tried to send you a email but got a reply that your inbox is full

There is also an unread PM to you on this site.

Hoping to here from you soon

John

I will message Sandra on here as well - as I'm worried about where my one might be too (no sign of it in Sunny Canberra)!

Mine goes around my kato track full speed with no probs.

Glad to hear they go alright on kato track - I have a heap of unitrack that creates the temporary layout all around my little apartment whenever I find time to run my fleet, so its good to know that the APT-E is a happy chap on that track :)

I have finally received my new toy only to discover I have two PC1s and no PC2! One could argue I have won on this affair compared to the pour soul with two PC2s and no PC1. Given mine is supposed to be sound fitted is there any way of identifying which is the correct PC1?

Hi, I've sent you a message

Cheers

San

• RMweb Premium

Glad to hear they go alright on kato track - I have a heap of unitrack that creates the temporary layout all around my little apartment whenever I find time to run my fleet, so its good to know that the APT-E is a happy chap on that track :)

What a good idea for those of us with an APT and a plank.

- Richard.

• RMweb Premium

Well silent number 15 has made it to NZ, and even evaded customs :-) so no extra 15% GST and customs fees and service fees and tea money and......

Took a while to get going, PC2 went with PC1 but not at the end of the train. Eventually traced to a misaligned connector in the centre bogie, though the coach lights all worked power wasn't getting through. Clearance on the layout is okay, just, but the track around two points will need attention, one on the down and one on the up so it hasn't made a full circuit yet.

Roger

• Like 1

In my next house, my new train room is just under our bedroom. As my wife tends to go to bed early, I wonder if she will like the sound of a jet under the floor boards?

Tell her you just bought a Dyson and you are cleaning the house...

• Like 4