The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

Not at all, there's no such thing as a bad idea in engineering. It's just that some work and others don't, as I found to my cost MANY times! 

Of course the intervention of Trade Unions always complicate such matters............ 

Very gracious, thank you.

• Like 1

Oh yes there is - The Fell locomotive............

And the Trabant.

Cheers,

Mick

Apparently, the Fell worked reasonably well. Its end was due to a boiler fire, I think, and not anything to do with its, er, unusual internals. All the same, six engines, very likely all with different hours accumulating, must have been a nightmare to maintain.

It was found that the middle coupling rods fought with the internal transmission and were removed. Now, where have I come across that idea in a model recently? Ah yes…

Well if you want to talk about bad days, I've just had the mother of one!

Decided to run both APT-E's this morning, never really ran them so thought why not, And have to say E-Train does look superb on the track, not to blow my own trumpet but service use is magnificent.

All was going great until I tried putting TC-1 & 2 on service use, PC-1 wouldn't articulate properly on one corner and kept derailing, and not sure if the voltage drop over that length was causing issues with PC-2,

Anyway, back to 8 coaches and ran fine, so I thought I'd take a video of the pair of them in action, All of a sudden the ECoS kept cutting out sound was on the pair of them, strange I thought, but wound down the speed and everything settled.

Just pushed record when everything went dead, Christ a power cut I thought, Nooooo!!! The little bu**ers have blew the ECoS!!!, That's how powerful they are, Might have to sell service use to buy a new ECoS now,

Gutted,

Quick clip of service use at high speed with sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YN4MjZUFHw

Just after was when the ECoS died.

Edited by UP 4000

Not really.

Because the train would be going at 155 mph under the original plans it was essential that the driver kept his view waaaaaay out in front of the train to see the special APT signals (which never got installed of course.........

Much the same with Eurostars - I've been in the cab and the driver has pulled his sunscreen all the way down  to demonstrate that seeing things is superfluous at linespeed, he knows exactly where he is due to the cab signalling and at 180mph by the time you see an obstruction you've pretty much already hit it  ................................

Well if you want to talk about bad days, I've just had the mother of one!

Decided to run both APT-E's this morning, never really ran them so thought why not, And have to say E-Train does look superb on the track, not to blow my own trumpet but service use is magnificent.

All was going great until I tried putting TC-1 & 2 on service use, PC-1 wouldn't articulate properly on one corner and kept derailing, and not sure if the voltage drop over that length was causing issues with PC-2,

Anyway, back to 8 coaches and ran fine, so I thought I'd take a video of the pair of them in action, All of a sudden the ECoS kept cutting out sound was on the pair of them, strange I thought, but wound down the speed and everything settled.

Just pushed record when everything went dead, Christ a power cut I thought, Nooooo!!! The little bu**ers have blew the ECoS!!!, That's how powerful they are, Might have to sell service use to buy a new ECoS now,

Gutted,

Quick clip of service use at high speed with sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YN4MjZUFHw

Just after was when the ECoS died.

That is a bad day !!!  

Bit of good news bad news,

After rummaging around the loft and garage I found a PSU what could just to say power the ECoS and it's fine, Both E-Trains are O.K as well,

So service use won't be going on ebay, But they did fry the PSU, Don't know how or why, maybe just a fluke.

This was the clip of when it happened,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USnBCiOe1Rc

Not very exciting I'm afraid, you can hear them, and E-Train just comes into shot and slams to a halt, and the long silent pause of "What's Happened"

I will have to give Southwest Digital a ring on Tuesday and see if they can order a new one for me, Good day for it to happen 40 years when she arrived at NRM and still showing who's boss!!!

"Put me in a museum, I blow your ECoS"

• Like 1

Er, what's an ECoS?

As for what trains I worked on before APT-E, it's not a very long list as I was only at BR for 9 years. Before E-Train I was mainly working on POP-Train, and afterwards it was Hastings Coach (Lab 4) and the dreaded Trestrol, then POP II, the skinned version for a short while. 

When I was on Track and Structures before joining APD I did structural tests on the first 2-PEP units, a big 100 ton tanker with no underframes and a lot of bridges.  :D

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

......can't be at York today, but silently thinking about York and the APT-E anniversary today at 10:48

At 10:48 this morning I was shunting stock round the APTs original home in the RTC, in and out of the EDU and vehicle lab

Much the same with Eurostars - I've been in the cab and the driver has pulled his sunscreen all the way down  to demonstrate that seeing things is superfluous at linespeed, he knows exactly where he is due to the cab signalling and at 180mph by the time you see an obstruction you've pretty much already hit it  ................................

I'm being trained on ertms signalling at the moment and it's very strange the way you pretty much don't have to look out of the window, you could actually drive a route you don't sign without looking up once, on the Cambrian locos have to be double manned as the driver spends most of the time looking at the screen so the 2nd man is there to look out the window and observe the crossings etc, must admit I thought it was an Aslef 'screw' when I first heard about it but having done it I can see why it's needed!

Er, what's an ECoS?

As for what trains I worked on before APT-E, it's not a very long list as I was only at BR for 9 years. Before E-Train I was mainly working on POP-Train, and afterwards it was Hastings Coach (Lab 4) and the dreaded Trestrol, then POP II, the skinned version for a short while. 

When I was on Track and Structures before joining APD I did structural tests on the first 2-PEP units, a big 100 ton tanker with no underframes and a lot of bridges.  :D

ESU'S ECoS 50200 topdog of the digital world, but the twins swiftly delt with that, so who's topdog now??? Never mess with E-Train, Her big sister isn't far behind,!!!

That 2+8 service use looks super. I have yet to set up my service use train of 2+6 but will when my current track laying is complete.

Thanks Colin, really appreciate it, Have to say though I think a 8 coach unit is really pushing it, that maybe the limit, anything more starts to create problems. 

I think PC-2 starts to lose power, at 2.8metres long it's a struggle, I may try to do a second wiring harness for the motors to see if that helps, reduce voltage drop over it's length,

I will keep pushing forward though, there will be a short break while service use gets her coach numbers applied and waiting for the decoders to be fitted, and a new PSU for the ECoS after the twins decided to put it into meltdown!

• Like 1

40 years ago yesterday at 10:48am,  I re-visited the location I first saw e train, and started my interest with the APT project.

Had to be done, at least this time I could see over the wall ok lol.

post-1304-0-97380300-1465722156_thumb.jpg

post-1304-0-74867800-1465722217_thumb.jpg

post-1304-0-24462400-1465722260_thumb.jpg

post-1304-0-66505700-1465722275_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I decided to order one of the 'aftermarket' sound decoders with the double speaker option. I'm assuming that the decoder just plugs in as normal, but would someone be able to tell me where the speaker wires have to be connected to in each of the power cars?

• RMweb Gold

40 years ago yesterday at 10:48am,  I re-visited the location I first saw e train, and started my interest with the APT project.

Had to be done, at least this time I could see over the wall ok lol.

I had that watch!

I decided to order one of the 'aftermarket' sound decoders with the double speaker option. I'm assuming that the decoder just plugs in as normal, but would someone be able to tell me where the speaker wires have to be connected to in each of the power cars?

Yes the decoder just plugs in, Now off the top of my head, On the 21pin PCB it's marked SP+ & SP-, I'm sure that's on the top, Be careful when soldering the speaker wires on the originals for PC-2 can wander, so if you have no sound on PC-2 check these connections first.

On PC-2 there's a small PCB board wrapped in a clear sleeve, I think it's zip tied to the speaker housing, and there on the underside yet again marked I think it's SP+ & SP- ,

The speakers are a tight fit in the housing so do need a little pressure to install them,

Hope this helps,

Just for reference, checked PC-2, the mini PCB board is screwed to the speaker housing, and the speaker connections are on the top, in fact just in front of the Philips screw.

Edited by UP 4000

POPs first test run.

My 3D printed POP1 takes to the rails for the very first time.

Jobs to do: -

One part base,

Door window and cable detail to add.

Pivot drawbar to design and test.

Still look good for a kit based model for sale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYQ3D8hX9f0&feature=youtu.be

Hope you enjoy, looks really good next to E train.

• Like 6

POPs first test run.

My 3D printed POP1 takes to the rails for the very first time.

Jobs to do: -

One part base,

Door window and cable detail to add.

Pivot drawbar to design and test.

Still look good for a kit based model for sale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYQ3D8hX9f0&feature=youtu.be

Hope you enjoy, looks really good next to E train.

Looks magic Paul, but it's not wholly authentic as the Clayton isn't on fire.  :D

• Like 2

Just to remind you all that the new Ian Allan book "APT The untold story" is out in the UK today.

Rob

And ordered

Thanks for the heads up

Well, We have E-Train, HSDT is next on the list, We are already asking for P-Train, Why not do the order, HST 125, I know already done by Hornby and lima, But could you imagine what Rapido could do for this model, If HSDT is based on E-Train, Some type of rigid close coupling, With multiplug (good system once worked in) plus all the bells and whistles we now want, The HST 125 (based on HSDT) with working cab and coach doors Smoke generators, A whopping screaming valenta x2. I can't see why not, best of British, 40+ years and running the mainline service. I may be wrong but wasn't the 43 only supposed to be a stop gap until P-Train arrived?

Britain's High speed Trains,

APT-E Prototype

HSDT

HST 125

APT-P

The powerhouse's of British mainline, Why not!

Regards Craig.   

Remember This?

I think someone's been watching,

http://ow.ly/vlKH301klp6

Ironically notice the dates.

Edited by UP 4000

Still having issue with the lighting on mine, everything works fine on DC. Rapido says it is a mapping problem and I need to read the decoder manual for that as it beyond their remit of tech help. I have never had to map a decoder before on any of the 40 plus locos I own. Can anyone help with this?